Register

My Sri Lanka with Peter Kuravita

What do you think about the food programmes being broadcast?

My Sri Lanka with Peter Kuravita

Postby efcliz » Fri May 04, 2012 9:05 am

This programme is currently being shown on UK Food. I was naturally drawn to it after a tour of Sri Lanka last year. (Those on Wildfood may remember
my post about cooking a Sri Lankan meal, but I wrote it up as a blog post too http://cookingtheveganbooks.com/2011/05 ... ri-lankan/ )

Peter is an Australian national who was born in Sri Lanka and I already have his cookbook - it may have been based on the sries, thinking about it now. He goes to a different part of the country each episode and makes a few stunning looking dishes in glorious settings, with beautiful local pots, pans and serving dishes.
There are a few continuity errors in the programme in the recipes, which I am guessing are from chopping out a small section of the original to make room for the adverts, but it's well worth half an hour of your time. I dont know how many are in the series, but it's shown at lots of different times of the day, so you should still be able to catch most of them.

Re: My Sri Lanka with Peter Kuravita

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri May 04, 2012 10:39 am

i'll keep my eyes open for this.
The UK food channel always seems to be closed when I channel surf.

I really enjoyed the simplicity of fish in Sri Lanka. And their light curries with sambal have an aroma of their own.

(nice write up Liz on your blog.)

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 04, 2012 10:57 am

I've found the series a mixed bag - generally very interesting, obviously being bilingual halps him a lot

Then every s oftne he gets local ingredeints and announces he is going to make an italian dish! or similar, Bizarrely off-topic in my view. The travelogue elements are fascinating, and much of the food (though no one will ever convince me that I like hoopers or idlis)

I'd love to go to Sri Lanka "properly" - i spent two days there on stopovers when goign to South india.

Postby efcliz » Fri May 04, 2012 11:39 am

I haven't seen him making any Italian dishes yet, but I did think that he missed a trick with his explanations sometimes. When he was in Nuwara Eliya for example, I would have been surprised at some of the ingredients he used - like using parsley in his curry, for example, if I hadn't spent time there, and known that it is known for growing lots of very english ingredients from the tea plantation days. I was very surprised he didn't explain that.

Return to TV & Radio