Register

Paul Hollywood's Bread on TV tonight

What do you think about the food programmes being broadcast?

Paul Hollywood's Bread on TV tonight

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:13 pm

Hello all

just giving you a heads up that the above series starts tonight on BBC2 at 8.30. I shall be tuning in, if only to drool over the silver fox Mr Hollywood himself as well as the bread of course :lol: !!!

Re: Paul Hollywood's Bread on TV tonight

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:51 pm

Thank you for the notification.
I'll be watching ..

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:20 pm

I really enjoyed the programme last night. It's a proper cookery programme, focussing on baking and not entertainment (finally :clap :thumbsup! ). Paul made 4 types of loaf in the half hour programme, a bloomer, a rye oat and ale loaf, a malt loaf (plus a twist on bread and butter pud using the malt loaf) and finally a wholemeal trencher loaf with a lamb and salad topping. They all looked scrumptious.

Postby mark111757 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:00 pm

SSC '

you are spot on with the description.....caught the 1s epi and i really liked it....the half hour went by pretty fast and the recipes were clear and concise....

tho i have found that watching the video of someone doing it helps with my confidence...

look forward to the rest

Postby Happy Violas » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:05 pm

This was one of those rare cookery programmes that made me really want the book .... nice bread and nice eye candy :lol: :lol:

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:16 am

Happy Violas wrote:This was one of those rare cookery programmes that made me really want the book .... nice bread and nice eye candy :lol: :lol:

Hi Happy Violas, I am glad it's not just me that thinks that on here about Paul Hollywood! :D

Postby dennispc » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:33 pm

Happy Violas wrote:This was one of those rare cookery programmes that made me really want the book .... nice bread and nice eye candy :lol: :lol:

He's gorgeous, even I fancy him! :shock: We enjoyed the programme, he was enthusiastic and if it gets more people bread making so much the better though the amount of kneading he did might put put some people off. I did buy the Telegraph :oops: over the weekend to see what the books are like (and the large size pages are better for our food re-cycling bin). I'd rather he didn't make his recipes two loaf ones as the quantities are huge - one has 750gms of flour plus 500gs of sourdough starter.

I'm just about to watch it again on iPlayer, to follow his shaping technique for the bloomer - my free forming is not always of the best.

Having recently posted a photo of a loaf that wasn't kneaded or shaped and left in the fridge overnight before going straight into a hot oven, I'm not sure all his hard work is necessary.

That to one side we are looking forward to seeing the rest of the series as it's quality food TV.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:48 pm

dennispc wrote:

He's gorgeous, even I fancy him! :shock: We enjoyed the programme, he was enthusiastic and if it gets more people bread making so much the better though the amount of kneading he did might put put some people off. I did buy the Telegraph :oops: over the weekend to see what the books are like (and the large size pages are better for our food re-cycling bin). I'd rather he didn't make his recipes two loaf ones as the quantities are huge - one has 750gms of flour plus 500gs of sourdough starter.

I'm just about to watch it again on iPlayer, to follow his shaping technique for the bloomer - my free forming is not always of the best.

Having recently posted a photo of a loaf that wasn't kneaded or shaped and left in the fridge overnight before going straight into a hot oven, I'm not sure all his hard work is necessary.

That to one side we are looking forward to seeing the rest of the series as it's quality food TV.

Having read your bread thread on Food Chat, I thought you would be tuning in dennispc! I also drooled at the photo of your loaves described above by the way :). Do you put your yeast on one side of the bowl and the salt on the other as well? Does any other professional baker stipulate that? I have never done that on the rare occasions I've done any yeast cookery and my dough always puffed up beautifully. In fact on one occasion the dough tried to escape from the bowl. It was one that I'd left to prove overnight and the next morning there was a great tongue of bread dough hanging over the side of the bowl, much to my amusement :lol:!

I am also looking forward to the rest of the series for exactly the same reason as you.

Postby dennispc » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:48 pm

strictlysalsaclare wrote: Do you put your yeast on one side of the bowl and the salt on the other as well?

Did I heck? But thank you strictlyssalsaclare for your nice comments. Having watched it a second time, I'm having second thoughts on just how good it was. For example, he doesn't mention the type of yeast, the Telegraph recipe books say instant dried, no need to rubbish the idea of warm water, and if cold water is best to slow down the process, then perhaps he shouldn't have used warm flour in 'another recipe. In his book, 'How to Bake', he describes the Bloomer shaping, with 'the long side facing you', though on TV he has the short side and does more turns than in the book. Still can't work out why he used the two mugs, OK I could see it keeping the cling film from touching the dough, but OH thought it was done to stop the dough spreading too much (as mine does!) but I use a cloth, or a plastic bag.

None of the above matters that much, but having had email from a friend who wants to have a go, I thought a newbie would need the book. Ah, ha :idea: now there's a surprise. Being a forgiving sort of guy let's put it down to the editing team. ;)

Having coffee with Paulthebread on Tuesday, he pointed out the use of oil in the first loaf, so much better than flour and then PH used flour for every other recipe PH. PtheB gave him 6/10, I disagreed, now I agree with that score.

Postby jaybird » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:42 pm

I always separate the yeast from the salt. When I use my panasonic breadmaker the recipes stipulate the yeast to be put in first, then the flour, then salt etc, water last.
I think it's Paul's eyes that make him so attractive, I got his book from the library, it's very good.
Unfortunately I missed the programme but read the Daily Mail's review of it. They said that he made breadmaking sexy (the way he pulled at the dough or something)! he was following Nigella's lead in trying to make cooking sexy so to speak. The review also said that he didn't intend to be a sex symbol, that he was really quite shy and that his wife found it hilarious!
Must record the next one.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:24 am

The thing that I liked about Paul H was, he delivered to you the important information well.

You can use olive oil for kneading, or you can use flour. Your choice in the end as both methods work.

And his emphasis on good honest kneading and folding is a good one. We all like the idea of no knead easy bread, but when you master the baker's handling of dough, you give structure and form to your loaves without that spread. It's a cure to a common problem.

I've moved away from Dan L's 3 fast kneads, and usually take the time to bring those ingredients together with a long stretching knead process, as I quite enjoy doing it.

9/10 for me. Good telly.

Postby hungryhousewife » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:07 pm

I watched the repeat this morning, having tried to watch it the other night, when OH brusquly switched over saying 'I can't stand that chap!'. I explained this morning that I wanted to watch, as I'd heard it was very informative.
To my amazement, my hubby was totally GLUED to the programme! I thought is was really good, and loved the look of the Rye and Ale loaf he made! Even my 17year old daughter thought she might like to make a bloomer!
As far as 'how attractive' Mr H is, I grant he has a twinkly eye, but those huge hands worry me!! He is like a 'one man cement mixer'!! :wave :o :oops: :oops:

HH

Postby dennispc » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:06 pm

Certainly good tv. I'll be interested in the next programme, flat breads, because that's something i've never tried, apart from pizzas, of course. :thumbsup

I've read a couple of interviews with him and so have a lot of time for the bloke. He's worked hard, like most in business he's had tough times with family helping him survive. Also, he's quite realistic about his current popularity and is determined to keep the business going as TV could always disappear.

Postby dennispc » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:40 am

I fell asleep! :oops: As OH knows, I'm more likely to fall asleep if it's an interesting programme. :thumbsdown

However, I did record it and watched this morning. I thoroughly enjoyed it and marvelled at the skills of the various chefs - I thought ethnic cooking was supposed to be simple! It was lovely to see PH struggling and still with a smile on his face. As the man said about one flat bread, it's like a pizza. Can someone tell me why we don't prick a pizza all over with a fork?

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:36 pm

I enjoyed the 2nd programme, especially watching Paul try his hand at the dosa and the Caribbean bread (the name of which escapes me at the moment)! As he is such a perfectionist it was refreshing to see him struggle, like the Bake Off contestants can with the Technical Challenge. The boot was definitely on the other foot this week :lol:. The only breads I make regularly are flour tortillas, but using wheatflour rather than the one the Mexicans use. Not sure if I can get that where I live....... I know tortillas are easy to buy but my hubby isn't that keen on them and they are so easy to make, as Paul demonstrated. The raw dough freezes well too and is easy to work with once defrosted.

Looking forward to the rest of the series :thumbsup

Postby jaybird » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:11 pm

Enjoyed the second programme which I had recorded. Hubby came in part way through so I had to watch the rest later, not his thing although he's always my number one taster!
I loved the look of the seeded flatbread + must have a crack at the corn tortillas. I've made pitta, foccacia, chappati and dosas. That dosa was enormous, made me smile when Paul's wasn't anywhere near as big and he said that he preferred his as it fitted the plate and didn't hang over the edge. I bet he wouldn't take that explanation on the Bake Off!
The slow motion shots of Paul kneeding the dough made me smile for some reason.

Postby dennispc » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:13 pm

I've been waiting for someone else to start posting about the third episode, so I'll get the ball rolling. Certainly it was a lot of fun, PH is made for television, though anyone wanting to make the recipes would certainly need his book or something similar. Once again it's good to see him being prepared to be filmed whilst struggling - forming the Pretzels. Wonderful to see his large Y pants (I can see the rush to iPlayer now :lol: ) for the ciabatta though Andrew Whitley would ask that no-one use a mixer, rather allow the baker to feel the change in the dough in their fingers. AW suggests putting a line of flour between the two portions of ciabatta dough to keep them apart and advocates air kneading and I'd enjoy PH doing that.

For interest I mention the metal tray he used for baguettes is sold in as a silicon floppy version by Lakeland - ideal for stuffing in a drawer for those of us who haven't got any more room for metal trays. Obviously, he enjoyed getting the public to try their hand at pizza throwing and I now know the reason.

And a great advert for Kitchen Aid, OH has been envying a lift up mixer for a little while now, so I hope (in the interests of balance) future programmes will show Kenwood. She could get lucky. :thumbsup

Certainly worth watching.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:39 am

Hi Dennis.
My next loaf I'm going to try mixing with a dough hook. Never done it before
with the added complication that I've only got a hand mixer.

Pro bakers often say you cannot replicate some breads by hand at home, it has to be made with a mixer, so let's see what it does.

He's still giving us useful information. Biga/ pre-ferments, the windowpane test.

The crumb of his ciabatta was disappointing. For all that care and effort, it seemed to lose its air pockets, and looked like a normal loaf when he sliced it.

jaybird wrote:That dosa was enormous, made me smile when Paul's wasn't anywhere near as big and he said that he preferred his as it fitted the plate and didn't hang over the edge. I bet he wouldn't take that explanation on the Bake Off!

Too right, Jaybird. He has an annoying way of saying his inexperienced version is better than the ones made by the experts.
He did it with the pretzel chap when he made it into a knot.
I don't think he likes being the pupil very much.

Postby dennispc » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:23 am

Hi Gill, AW says, if you do use a mixer for ciabatta, use the cake mixer attachment as it brings more surfaces into contact with the dough. Richard Bertinet makes his by hand and the crumb looks gorgeous in his book, Dough. RB also says a genuine baguette must weight 320g and have seven cuts.

Fascinating.

Just taken PH's bloomer out of the oven, spread a bit too much but I've now got the hang of it. Thanks Paul. :clap

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:47 am

How was the bloomer, Dennis.

I've just used the hand mixer (2 x dough hooks) and what a revelation. The dough came together in about 2 minutes, no sticking, or olive oil floury work surfaces.

Perfectly ready for it's first rise.

Next

Return to TV & Radio