Register

food glorious food review

What do you think about the food programmes being broadcast?

food glorious food review

Postby mark111757 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:06 pm

found this in the course of my on line travels

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 14970.html

i would like to offer some stateside thoughts on it

overall i liked the show.....had not seen tom parker-bowles since the F word (it looks like he survived the rotten cheese in italy episode) and guest andi oliver since the F word and the series andi and neneh dish it up. those two and stacie stewart i really liked. to me they came across as human beings but fair in the critisicims. how ever i did not feel the same about lloyd grossman. what did it for me were the comments he made about and his overall attitude about fanny craddock from the series THE WAY WE COOK.....i had the impression at times he was waiting for a dish he did not like so he could shoot it down and make the person that did it look and feel bad about it. (tho i realize too that there is that sort of thing in a series like this, tho i suspect too that simon cowells fair hand was in that too(the expression "manufactured drama" comes to mind)). i was also very disappointed with Anne Harrison. if i had heard of the WI and all the representation of it was anne, i would find it difficult to take the organization seriously. HFW had mentioned them and included them in a few segments of the river cottage series and that NEVER came across in the same light.

what would have made it better, at least for me, was access to the recipes to the dishes that did not make. similar i suppose to what the hairy bikers did with their recipes fayres, but the way ITV did away with their food section, that seemed very unlikely.

there were some good recipes, especially the bread pudding with rum soaked fruit. as i say i enjoyed the series but being here in the states, that does not affect the ratings. RATS!!!

what did you folks think of it overall....

Re: food glorious food review

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:18 pm

I watched a bit than gave up

A TV food show sponsored by a supermarket, organised by Simon Cowell, and fronted by a an increasingly ditsy woman infamous for extreme dieting sounded like it wasn't going to be my thing

It wasn't my thing

I think the Hairy Bikers Mum's Know Best did that "recipe in the attic" format so much better that this was entirely redundant

Speaking ill of the WI is possibly a capital offence in parts of the UK - seriously, Ann not my favourite example, the WI was seen in a much better light on Country Show Challenge

Re: food glorious food review

Postby jeral » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:29 pm

The final is just ending this minute on ITV1, though therefore just starting on ITV1+1 (Freeview Ch 33).

They are converting the finalists' recipes into recipes that can be easily reproduced en masse and of course having wide appeal and including making a photographic advert video. It's very interesting actually.

Return to TV & Radio