Register

Simon Hopkinson Cooks

What do you think about the food programmes being broadcast?

Simon Hopkinson Cooks

Postby Alison Wright » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:39 pm

"New high-end cookery series"

Six-parter starts tonight 9-10pm on More4 (Freeview 14) - with two repeats.

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/prog ... nson-cooks

Re: Simon Hopkinson Cooks

Postby mark111757 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:11 am

thanks for the heads up....really loved the last series...hope this one is just as good

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:10 am

Thanks also for the heads up Alison. I watched it last night and really loved it. Some of the dishes he made were very simple but were offset by slightly more complex dishes. Whenever I watch him on the TV, I can absolutely see why Delia loves him.

Postby Alison Wright » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:55 pm

mark111757 wrote:....really loved the last series...hope this one is just as good

Going on the first episode, it might be even better Mark.

It was excellent! I was gripped from the start. There wasn't a single dish he made that I wouldn't enjoy, especially the coffee caramel creme dessert.
As I decided to watch I didn't bother to record it, but as I have all the ingredients for the green bean starter - I'll record the repeat that's on around midnight tonight & make it tomorrow. Also loved his presentation of the paella -it would wow any dinner guest :yum
strictlysalsaclare wrote:I watched it last night and really loved it. Whenever I watch him on the TV, I can absolutely see why Delia loves him.

I didn't know Delia rated him Clare, but I can see why. He comes across as a very classy, understated chef who enjoys passing on his own & other chefs expertise - with no gimmicks.

A first class programme - really looking forward to next week.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:15 pm

Alison Wright wrote:
mark111757 wrote:....really loved the last series...hope this one is just as good

Going on the first episode, it might be even better Mark.

It was excellent! I was gripped from the start. There wasn't a single dish he made that I wouldn't enjoy, especially the coffee caramel creme dessert.
As I decided to watch I didn't bother to record it, but as I have all the ingredients for the green bean starter - I'll record the repeat that's on around midnight tonight & make it tomorrow. Also loved his presentation of the paella -it would wow any dinner guest :yum
strictlysalsaclare wrote:I watched it last night and really loved it. Whenever I watch him on the TV, I can absolutely see why Delia loves him.

I didn't know Delia rated him Clare, but I can see why. He comes across as a very classy, understated chef who enjoys passing on his own & other chefs expertise - with no gimmicks.

A first class programme - really looking forward to next week.

I agree Alison, not only did he cook stuff I wanted to eat, but I would definitely be able to make all of it as well. I wish I could say that for some other cookery shows :( . I also liked the little tips he gave us along the way. When he was making the tomato essence for the paella, his comment about not needing to peel the tomatoes because you need to sieve them made me punch the air with delight!!! I may have even blown him a kiss :lol:.

On another note! Nothing winds me up more when reading, say, a smoked salmon recipe which tells you to use 2 slices in the ingredients list, then the method tells you to cut them finely :x . Have cookery writers never heard of smoked salmon trimmings?

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:49 pm

strictlysalsaclare wrote:On another note! Nothing winds me up more when reading, say, a smoked salmon recipe which tells you to use 2 slices in the ingredients list, then the method tells you to cut them finely . Have cookery writers never heard of smoked salmon trimmings?

Surely that's where you use your own judgment?

The cookery writer can't be sure you'll be able to get trimmings (I know I can't always, I looked for some last week) and the trimmings aren't always as good quality as the slices

It would be more helpful if they gave you the weight anyway, as the size of salmon slices varies hugely

Really enjoyed the programme and will be making that paella

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:15 pm

I take your point Stokey Sue, personally I would use my judgement, especially whether quality matters (or not). Most of the time I just need the smoked salmon flavour so the trimmings do just fine. I also would use slices if I had any of the premium grade salmon in my fridge (which is very rare!). However, I do realise that some cooks prefer follow a recipe slavishly - I'm a 'springboard cook myself', in that I will make changes to ingredients where appropriate.

With regards to availability, there have been times in the run up to Christmas when I've bought the smoked salmon in advance and frozen it (splitting the pack if necessary) so it's there for when I want to use it.

Having said that, maybe smoked salmon wasn't a good example of the point I was trying to make! :oops: OK, I hope I've managed to think of a better one after a bit of pondering! Cranberries - the amount of recipes I've seen using fresh or frozen ones, and the method tells you to make a cranberry sauce with a few additional ingredients such as orange or spices! Under those circumstances, and given the price difference, my starting point would be a jar of cranberry sauce plus the additional ingredients. If necessary I would reduce the liquid down more to get the right consistency!

Postby mark111757 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:50 pm

well i am pleased to give the show two bug thumbs up.... :thumbsup no nonsense and to the point.....he reminded me of a big kid in a candy store....

also another big thumbs up, as i recall on the website, for the coffee creme recipe, kitchen hit was given....gasp shock horror!!!! quanity and size.....i can only hope that this starts a trend.....(like i said i can hope).....cant wait till next week

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:53 am

I enjoyed this week's programme again although one slight quibble.... He made a prawn cocktail, but didn't put Worcester sauce in the Marie rose sauce, which I thought was essential. He did make the mayo for it, so I wonder if that was the reason why?

Mind you, the :evil: in me did have a chuckle during the sequence when Simon visited The Walnut Tree. Especially when Shaun Hill and Simon were discussing the drizzles and foams and rolling their eyes at the same time. As a rustic cook myself I enjoyed seeing that there are some renegade chefs who haven't gone down the foams route! :lol: I can imagine fans of them complaining though!

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:27 am

I think Worcester sauce is optional; I don't always put it in, just a tiny drop of Tabasoc

He did put in the tiny drop of cognac, which is one of my favourite tricks with seafood

Was it just me was surprised he used Victoria sponge rather than a fatless or Genoese sponge for a trifle?

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:55 am

Stokey Sue wrote:I think Worcester sauce is optional; I don't always put it in, just a tiny drop of Tabasoc

He did put in the tiny drop of cognac, which is one of my favourite tricks with seafood

Was it just me was surprised he used Victoria sponge rather than a fatless or Genoese sponge for a trifle?

No Stokey it wasn't just you! I was surprised too now you come to mention it, although I have had trifle made with a Victoria sponge. That was one with jelly in it, but the Vicky sponge made the trifle seem a bit stodgy IMO. On the rare occasions I've made my own trifle sponge, I've always used the whisked method.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:29 pm

My Mum's trick for a trifle was to use a bought sponge flan case or those sponge layers you can sometimes buy

Better quality sponge than those pumice stones in packages but less effort than making them!

At uni we used cheap jam swiss roll - the trouble with that is cheap jam

Postby Dena » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:42 pm

strictlysalsaclare wrote:I enjoyed this week's programme again although one slight quibble.... He made a prawn cocktail, but didn't put Worcester sauce in the Marie rose sauce, which I thought was essential..................... As a rustic cook myself I enjoyed seeing that there are some renegade chefs who haven't gone down the foams route! :lol: I can imagine fans of them complaining though!

Why should they complain :roll: . Some chef's don't agree with this and others don't agree with that. Surely people who love food (foodies) are open minded and can not only make up their own mind but can understand that chefs have their own likes and dislikes.

I don't put Worcester in my Marie Rose sauce either just a dash or two of tabasco..

Postby mark111757 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:25 pm

as i recall, didnt gordon add worcester to his when he did it on cookalong live???

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/c ... ail-recipe

finally found it....tobasco and worceser AND brandy.....

Postby Dena » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:49 am

It isn't a 'classic' recipe as such and was evidently invented in the latter part of the 19th Century. Lots of different recipes out there Mark, starting with one of the original ones which just mixed tomato sauce, mayonnaise, lemon juice and a sprinkling of cayenne pepper on the top. As it became popular I think chef's added more and more ingredients to make it more sophisticated as in the Gordon Ramsay one you link to.

Postby prettykiwicrazy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:47 pm

It's quite nice to have a retro recipe like prawn cocktail featured on TV. I don't about anyone else, but I do get bored of being bombarded with whatever the current food fad is ..........salted caramel ........... cupcakes .........pork belly etc.

Prawn cocktail is the only time I ever use the world's most boring food, iceberg lettuce.

Postby MagicMarmite » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:30 pm

I asolutely love SH and his food, and I covet his kitchen!
I have two of his ooks and everything I've tried has een rilliant.
My particular favourite is this tomato curry.
http://www.simonhopkinson.tv/recipe/15/tomato-curry.aspx

Postby Alison Wright » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:41 am

I can't believe I missed the second ep last Monday :roll:

But got the repeat on record for tomorrow night :clap

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:42 pm

I've really enjoyed the episodes which i've managed to catch.

The only trouble with it is that even if we've only finished dinner an hour or so before and are full, he manages to make me feel flipping hungry again!

Most of the recipes seem achievable although some are a real labour of love. For instance I'm not sure i'd bother making the beetroot soup starter he made the other week. I think i'd have lost the will to live after step 9 :?

Excellent series overall though

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:04 am

I'm enjoying watching him and getting hints and tips

But i do feel that I wouldn't want to eat all 5 courses of most of the menus, and if he is showing us how to cook a menu I wish he'd give us some advice on the timing - the project management; i can see no way of serving some of these menus without abandoning the guests for an hour while I retreated to the kitchen between courses, perhaps he'll address that in the book (not out until September)

Next

Return to TV & Radio