Register

Rick Stein is Back .....

What do you think about the food programmes being broadcast?

Rick Stein is Back .....

Postby Alison Wright » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:54 am

..... with a new series for curry-heads!

'Rick Stein's India' - a six parter starts on Monday - BBC2 9-10pm

Oh I've been waiting a year for this! :clap :thumbsup

http://www.puretravel.com/blog/2013/06/ ... est-curry/

Re: Rick Stein is Back .....

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:31 pm

Hi Alison

Just noticed it when M bought the paper this morning. I'll be there!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:10 pm

At last a cookery programme I've liked, although I was rather annoyed that he felt the need to waste time on an item in which he reinvented his mum's 1950s/60s curry. when he could have featured more real Indian food. Actually thinking back, I lost interest at that point, so maybe it wasn't all that after all!

Postby Alison Wright » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:28 pm

I also have mixed feelings about last nights' show Sak, & agree with you on his mother's curry - I reckon very few people who enjoy spending time putting a curry together would waste time on that!

I enjoyed seeing the diversity of street food, but there's little chance we in the UK could emulate them - I was hoping to see do-able recipes that I could create using easily obtainable ingredients & equipment.

I've loved all of his series, but just felt there was something missing in the first episode, too many shots of fishing boats & cricketers, & not enough cooking.

I'll watch all the eps, especially the last one where his choice of the best six curries are put before experts from Bradford to be judged.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:29 pm

I'm quite enjoying the travelogue aspect of this series. I agree there's not that much cooking involved but that seems to be the case with Rick when he does these types of programmes. I'm mainly watching this to see if I can get inspired to make a fish curry, which is something I'm a bit dubious about (which I've mentioned before elsewhere on here). So far no joy but I will continue to watch. the bit that did make me chuckle in last night's programme was his view of the Michelin style of cooking (he said he is anti all of that scene). I could just imagine Michelin fans getting a little grumpy with that section!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:48 pm

Last night's programme annoyed me.

He raves about a dish called Nimish, which he explained as follows:

"They take milk and cream, and they boil them a little bit, then they chill the mixture overnight, then they whip it whip with sugar, and then they add almonds, cardamom, etc etc...

Then in his own version, he simply doesn't do that, he just whips together cream and sugar and chills it. It cannot possibly be the same.

Overall, the programme is too long for me. It was a surprise at the end to see a note come up saying "More Recipes", on the red button... I clicked it and there was another programme there covering stuff they didn't put in the main programme, but I was already in Stein overdose after an hour of him, so didn't bother.

Postby Dena » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:31 am

I must admit I am getting fed up with Rick Stein doing the world. He just doesn't seem to get a lot of it and imho seems to think his ideas and take are just so much better than the rest of us. Then saw him on S.K. yesterday (?)when he was so patronising (I found him patronizing in the Roux Master classes too)he made some form of curry with a fried egg for breakfast, and said that we (meaning Joe Public like us) should really try grinding our own spices - it makes the dish taste so much better. Wow Rick, thanks for that.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/breakfast_bhaji_32025

Strictlysalsaclare you said "...................So far no joy but I will continue to watch. the bit that did make me chuckle in last night's programme was his view of the Michelin style of cooking (he said he is anti all of that scene). I could just imagine Michelin fans getting a little grumpy with that section!"

What have you got against Michelin star restaurant "fans". Why on earth would they get grumpy? And why did it make you chuckle? Just because his restaurants haven't been awarded any (Read the reviews of his restaurants by the public, a lot of not very good reviews) I am sure if he was chosen he wouldn't refuse. Must be very galling for him that he has never been awarded even 1*.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:37 pm

Dena wrote:I must admit I am getting fed up with Rick Stein doing the world. He just doesn't seem to get a lot of it and imho seems to think his ideas and take are just so much better than the rest of us. Then saw him on S.K. yesterday (?)when he was so patronising (I found him patronizing in the Roux Master classes too)he made some form of curry with a fried egg for breakfast, and said that we (meaning Joe Public like us) should really try grinding our own spices - it makes the dish taste so much better. Wow Rick, thanks for that.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/breakfast_bhaji_32025

Strictlysalsaclare you said "...................So far no joy but I will continue to watch. the bit that did make me chuckle in last night's programme was his view of the Michelin style of cooking (he said he is anti all of that scene). I could just imagine Michelin fans getting a little grumpy with that section!"

What have you got against Michelin star restaurant "fans". Why on earth would they get grumpy? And why did it make you chuckle? Just because his restaurants haven't been awarded any (Read the reviews of his restaurants by the public, a lot of not very good reviews) I am sure if he was chosen he wouldn't refuse. Must be very galling for him that he has never been awarded even 1*.

Hi Dena

Sorry for the delay in replying, but I was trying to remember which word Rick used to convey his thoughts, which was quite strong. If I remember rightly he described Michelin Style food 'as a load of bull****', which prompted my comment. But as you say, it could well be down to sour grapes on his part! I must admit that even if I could afford to, I don't think I would have a meal in his restaurant. Unless, of course, there were a couple of dishes devoid of hot spices/parsley/tarragon available that day (all 3 are dislikes for Mr Strictly, the last two for me). I've got one of his earlier books which I've only used for filleting instructions and stock recipes so far. So many of the milder recipes have tarragon or parsley in them, or rich buerre blanc sauces. Luckily, as I'm a compulsive recipe tweaker I realise I can always change the herb or lighten the sauce which is why I was happy to buy the book!

With regards to my 'grumpy Michelin fans', I do apologise for that comment, but I was probably referring to those who may not have much of a sense of humour or are very protective of that style of cuisine (maybe I was thinking of football team rivalry at the time). I am sorry I tarred them all with the same brush.... :oops:

Having said all that, Rick can't be that against the Michelin style because he's one of the Roux Scholarship mentors!

Postby Dena » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:41 pm

That's fine strictly, it's just I have a friend who runs down Heston at every opportunity, classes all modern innovative chefs as Heston wannabees and hasn't even tried to understand where they are all coming from and certainly hasn't ever tried their food (but has loved the few H.B. recipes I have given him :o :lol: )

I think there is room for all types of food in the world but there are some things I don't even want to try. Live ants, crawling round the dish for one.

I, personally really, really dislike tinned baked beans - yuk. but if people like them and want to eat them that's OK with me. Live and let live.

I made a Summer Pudding for a friend who was staying with me (used Valentine Warner's recipe, saw him making it on TV last Saturday, which was slightly different from the norm). When I told her what I had made, she said "I don't like summer pudding - slimy bread, what's to like?" :? I told her as long as she had one mouthful - whilst I stood by with the spittoon - that was fine. She actually really liked it, said it was delicious. Just goes to show unless you try something you don't really know if you do like it or not.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:05 pm

Dena wrote:That's fine strictly, it's just I have a friend who runs down Heston at every opportunity, classes all modern innovative chefs as Heston wannabees and hasn't even tried to understand where they are all coming from and certainly hasn't ever tried their food (but has loved the few H.B. recipes I have given him :o :lol: )

I think there is room for all types of food in the world but there are some things I don't even want to try. Live ants, crawling round the dish for one.

I, personally really, really dislike tinned baked beans - yuk. but if people like them and want to eat them that's OK with me. Live and let live.

I made a Summer Pudding for a friend who was staying with me (used Valentine Warner's recipe, saw him making it on TV last Saturday, which was slightly different from the norm). When I told her what I had made, she said "I don't like summer pudding - slimy bread, what's to like?" :? I told her as long as she had one mouthful - whilst I stood by with the spittoon - that was fine. She actually really liked it, said it was delicious. Just goes to show unless you try something you don't really know if you do like it or not.

Yes, I agree Dena about texture being a subjective thing. For instance, I really dislike the texture of dessicated coconut although I wouldn't say I was allergic to it. I'm the same with celery although I can eat it when de-stringed, chopped up very small and cooked in something like mince, but only when push comes to shove.

To be honest I really should have a bit more empathy with fine dining fans :oops: . I am also a big fan of most rock/rock & roll music, and in the past have been asked by new colleagues which type of music I like, or who's my favourite artiste/group (Queen for my sins! :lol: ). when I've told them and get the response 'well somebody has to!' I can get a tad miffed. Well, they did ask, and I ain't gonna lie just to curry favour with someone! Er, pun not intended considering the original thread topic! If the conversation happens the opposite way round I never give the same answer. I just respond 'Oh OK, but soul (or whatever) doesn't do that much for me.

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:36 pm

Hi Clare

Ah another Queen fan:thumbsup

One of the best nights in my life was in 1986 when son and daughter and some of their friends took me to a Queen concert in St James' Park - on condition that I provided the food which we needed because we were in that stadium for hours.

A couple of years ago they gave me the Best of Queen CD for my birthday and if I have to do some tedious washing up, housework or whatever a quick blast sends me happily on my way.

Don't knock the fine-dining fans - unless they refuse to try any other sort of eatery. The one thing I really detest is dishonest food at any level. Perfectly happy to go to the local Relais Routier (transport caff) for a cheap and very cheerful lunch but really look forward to the few Michelin starred places we can afford to visit per year.

I always wanted to go to Padstow because I love sea-food so much and I actually like Rick Stein, having met him a couple of times, very much. As Dena says, if you haven't tried it don't knock it.

Just like the time I was extremely reluctant to go to my first Janacek opera. I had a paperback in my bag but I was so rivetted that I didn't need it.

Postby Mamta » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:04 pm

I better put it on record then :lol: ! I like Rick Stein.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:19 pm

Joanbunting wrote:Hi Clare

One of the best nights in my life was in 1986 when son and daughter and some of their friends took me to a Queen concert in St James' Park - on condition that I provided the food which we needed because we were in that stadium for hours.

A couple of years ago they gave me the Best of Queen CD for my birthday and if I have to do some tedious washing up, housework or whatever a quick blast sends me happily on my way.

Don't knock the fine-dining fans - unless they refuse to try any other sort of eatery. The one thing I really detest is dishonest food at any level. Perfectly happy to go to the local Relais Routier (transport caff) for a cheap and very cheerful lunch but really look forward to the few Michelin starred places we can afford to visit per year.

I always wanted to go to Padstow because I love sea-food so much and I actually like Rick Stein, having met him a couple of times, very much. As Dena says, if you haven't tried it don't knock it.

Just like the time I was extremely reluctant to go to my first Janacek opera. I had a paperback in my bag but I was so rivetted that I didn't need it.

You lucky thing, going to a Queen concert before Freddie became ill. I didn't become a fan until 1989 so never got that opportunity. :(

Re Rick Stein, I would be happy to go to either his bistro or café but our joint dislike of parsley & tarragon and Mr Strictly's aversion to most spices does restrict us somewhat. I have also met him, very briefly at a book signing. I found him very affable although quite shy compared to his TV persona.

Postby Meena » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:36 pm

Like someone else mentioned I enjoyed the travelogue aspect to this programme., it was interesting to see the different food in various parts of India and Rick is very humbled by the experiences he encounters, for example, when he went to Amritsar and The Golden Temple (im lucky enough to have been there myself). He saw that all the food being made was for people going to the Temple.

I would like to have Rick Stein as my adopted Grandad and Nigel Slater as my adopted Uncle!

Postby Mamta » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:56 pm

I would like to have Rick Stein as my adopted Grandad and Nigel Slater as my adopted Uncle!

:D How nice

Postby Dena » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:28 pm

Another Queen fan here - also love Janacek - I think his most famous one is "the Cunning little vixen" - it was my first one, loved it.

Afraid I've gone off Rick Stein - :( I used to really love him, but I miss Chalky.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:20 pm

Went to rick stein's resto for my 40th, and had a bland disappointing meal.
I was expecting scallops, langoustines, clams ... well ... fish and seafood.

Got fish and chips with tartar sauce, and for me a fish stew. It wasn't even that good, the menu was mediocre whilst being jolly expensive.

I put it down to his going though a divorce at the time and his restaurant was suffering, however I've heard similar reports since.

I find his food programmes equal nowadays. Like the canal du midi one.
When we did the c d m, the camaraderie is exceptional. When Rick S did it, everyone seemed cold and distant to him.

My husband thinks it's because he's moody - there is something about the man that doesn't quite fit.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:02 am

Dena wrote:

Another Queen fan here - also love Janacek - I think his most famous one is "the Cunning little vixen" - it was my first one, loved it.

Afraid I've gone off Rick Stein - :( I used to really love him, but I miss Chalky.

Hi Dena, lovely to know there is another Queen fan on here.

Re Rick Stein, like you I also miss Chalky. He was such a cheeky little dog!

Return to TV & Radio