Register

around the world in 80 plates

What do you think about the food programmes being broadcast?

around the world in 80 plates

Postby mark111757 » Fri May 11, 2012 1:20 am

yet another reality/food competition show started on bravo here in the states a couple of nights ago.....

2 teams competing against each other.......yada yada yada....i am getting tired of this type of show.....i would rather watch the original iron chef in japanese, which i often do......although towards the end of 80 plates nigella offered some commentary as well.....started out in london and next week the teams are in lyon, france

for more info--

http://www.bravotv.com

oh yeah, i dont know who i find more annoying, cat cora or curtis stone.....give me the 2 fat ladies anytime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: around the world in 80 plates

Postby Breadandwine » Fri May 11, 2012 2:36 am

Hi Mark

What about 'Round the world with bread'?

Starting off with, say, Irish soda bread, then onto Bara Brith from Wales...

Then an English bread, one from France, Germany and off through Eastern Europe and beyond.

Sounds a bit more fun (although I might be a bit biased! 8-) ) than the Bravo TV thing!
Now that you've discovered that making your own bread is easier than you thought, what else is there that isn't so difficult when you actually have a go? Like making your own pasta without a machine, for instance!

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.com/

Postby jeral » Tue May 15, 2012 5:08 pm

I can't get Bravo TV but it would be interesting to see what the contestants come up with for just one "prize" plate each from each region/country given that countries are awash with a multitude of food delights - how on earth would they select just one dish? I wish I could get "80 plates" but I can't so that's kinda that then.

Edit PS: Don't suppose you fancy giving us a running commentary? Pretty please?

I've just found this more direct link: http://www.bravotv.com/blogs/the-dish/8 ... y-pleasure which says that the Gilt Taste site will give details of each week's location details and dishes but one has to register just to be able to read it :(

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue May 15, 2012 6:10 pm

So the first plate is London

I wonder what they'll come up with?

Jellied eels?
Fish & Chips?
Steak & kidney?
Roast beef?
Saveloy?
Bangers & mash?
Scotch eggs? (i don't know why but these seem to fascinate the ladies in the Boston office)

Postby jeral » Tue May 15, 2012 7:31 pm

Darn it. I'm almost convinced to register on gilt taste! It said Wednesday - I guess that's tomorrow so time yet to get a grip... :mrgreen:

Postby mark111757 » Fri May 18, 2012 2:19 am

well IMHO epi 2 was not much better except this time they ere in france and where nigella was the "guest" (when they were in london), this time one of them was Jacotte Brazier (didnt raymond blanc talk about her in his last seires??)

it reminded me of an international version of hells kitchen (US).....i wont be sad if i miss it and i wont go out of my way to record it either.....

Postby jeral » Fri May 18, 2012 3:21 am

Aww what a shame for a programme with such an enticing title. I can't comment as I can't see it, but perhaps it will get better as it moves around the globe.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 18, 2012 11:02 am

mark111757 wrote:well IMHO epi 2 was not much better except this time they ere in france and where nigella was the "guest" (when they were in london), this time one of them was Jacotte Brazier (didnt raymond blanc talk about her in his last seires??)

it reminded me of an international version of hells kitchen (US).....i wont be sad if i miss it and i wont go out of my way to record it either.....

What foods did they do for London Mark?

Postby hungryhousewife » Fri May 18, 2012 11:13 am

I haven't watched this, but I really hope they do jellied eels!!
HH

Postby mark111757 » Sat May 19, 2012 7:47 pm

hey sue, they did a pub crawl 9or someones version of it) and the teams each had a eat a plate of blood pudding hash (which looked DE-LISH) and a drink and them steak and kidney pie and a drink OR they could opt to put down, i think, 3 yards of ale, which is what one team did....they never tried the food so imagine trying to recreate it without........then wach team took over a gastro pub and the winning team had a pud on their menu and the losing team did not.....

here is one supplier here in the states--

http://www.foodireland.com/Merchant2/me ... ct_Count=3

cheers

Postby mark111757 » Sat May 19, 2012 7:49 pm

i wouldnt mind trying a scotch egg or two....the idea of an egg wrapped in pork then bread crumbs and deep fried (and oven basked as hestie did)....sounds intriguing

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun May 20, 2012 12:43 pm

mark111757 wrote:hey sue, they did a pub crawl 9or someones version of it) and the teams each had a eat a plate of blood pudding hash (which looked DE-LISH) and a drink and them steak and kidney pie and a drink OR they could opt to put down, i think, 3 yards of ale, which is what one team did....they never tried the food so imagine trying to recreate it without........then wach team took over a gastro pub and the winning team had a pud on their menu and the losing team did not.....

here is one supplier here in the states--

http://www.foodireland.com/Merchant2/me ... ct_Count=3

cheers

blood pudding hash

Not very traditional then - we don't call it blood pudding (ever) - it is black pudding, and it isn't really a London thing, though you do get versions all over the UK.

And it is not usually served in the form of a hash, though I can imagine that would actually be a pretty good dish and I'm not surprised that the bright young chef at some gastropub has put it on his menu

In fact I found a Mark Hix recipe for it, which isn't entirely convinving - for "butter" read onions in the first sentence of the recipe i guess, and equal weights of pudding & potato sounds wrong to me - I'd use a little more spud, black pudding is pretty rich, and you are going to put an egg on top as well. It's relevant that that it is a Mark Hix recipe, he is someone said young chef would follow. But not a "classic brunch dish" IMO whatever MH says.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/recipes/black-pudding-hash-with-a-fried-duck-egg-2161325.html

Return to TV & Radio