Register

James Martin's Food Map of Britain

What do you think about the food programmes being broadcast?

James Martin's Food Map of Britain

Postby Alison Wright » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:43 pm

A new ten-parter starts tomorrow - & showing weekday evenings for the next two weeks.
BBC2 6:30-7:00pm

http://www.timeout.com/london/tv-review ... of-britain

Re: James Martin's Food Map of Britain

Postby mark111757 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:59 am

thanks for the heads up

another one to look forward too

Postby Renée » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:37 am

Thanks, Alison! I really like James Martin and it's on at a very convenient time for me, so am looking forward to watching it, despite what James Flack says. I'll judge for myself!

Postby Renée » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:06 pm

Well, what a fabulous programme it turned out to be. 10/10 is what I will give it! Chefs say 'less is more' said James, but he said 'more is more' as he piped the cream on to the luscious trifle made with Kent cherries!

Postby Dena » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:55 pm

I forgot it was on :? - too wrapped up in the news. Even highlighted/highlit (?) it in the TV paper. Back to catch-up.

Postby Renée » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:13 am

I'm sure that you will enjoy it, Dena. The scenery, as James flew over Kent in his little plane, was beautiful. Tonight, he will be visiting South Wales to discover why Welsh lamb is prized by foodies.

I have a post-it note stuck on the bottom of the monitor!

Postby Dena » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:30 pm

Thank you Renee, I have now recorded all the episodes. When SK was adored by the Martinis, I used not to like him. But I think he is like a good joint of beef, he has matured well :lol: and he is a brilliant Chef de Patisserie (imho).

Looking forward to it, will sit down at lunch time and see if I can get the catch up. Sometimes the BBC though keep it for a few days before putting it up.

Postby Renée » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:39 pm

I've always liked him and his humour! He is quite brilliant when he does his spun sugar work and makes it look so easy.
I record Saturday Kitchen to watch whilst I'm ironing. He has some very interesting chefs on the programme.

Postby jeral » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:06 pm

After James' first programme last night, I'm looking forward to the others :) He is easy to listen to I reckon as being factual, rather than the somewhat irritatingly gushing style that some TV chefs have; also the camera is steady and mostly on the food when it should be, and the scenery of course :thumbsup

Do you think he could become another travelling Floyd, well if he cuts down on the butter and cream and lives long enough ;)

Postby Alison Wright » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:11 pm

I've long thought SK is well past it's sell-by date - so record it then I can FF through the rubbish bits (omelette challenge, MasterChef repeats & viewers questions)

So (maybe unfairly) I wasn't expecting much from his Food Map. But ....... I've recorded & watched all four & think this is the best TV he's ever done.

I've saved a couple of recordings as I was so impressed with what he cooked- loved that tabouleh/bulgar salad recipe, the blini's & mini doughnuts

The scenery was lovely, & I learned new things about regional food of the UK, & laughed at his humorous buffoonery with the waders. I think he's comes over best on screen by himself, rather than with other chefs.

Looking forward to tonight's prog about fabulous Dexter beef in N.Ireland, we had Dexter rib-eye steaks last Sunday :yum :yum

Well done BBC for such a charming mini-series.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:23 am

I am loving this series. I do prefer James when he is out of the SK studio for some reason. I have enjoyed all his other cookery series that he's done both for the Beeb and Good Food channel. I even watched the motor racing programme he did with Jackie Stewart, and I'm no Formula 1 fan!

Although his over-use of the word 'delicious' does irritate me somewhat. 8-)

Return to TV & Radio