Register

Nigel & Adam's Farm Kitchen

What do you think about the food programmes being broadcast?

Nigel & Adam's Farm Kitchen

Postby Alison Wright » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:16 pm

New four part series with Nigel Slater & the lovely Adam Henson (from Adam's farm on Country File)

Starts Wed Nov 20th 8-9pm BBC1

Hope Nigel had a haircut & shave before filming started!

http://digiguide.tv/pick-of-the-day/20+ ... m-kitchen/

Re: Nigel & Adam's Farm Kitchen

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:45 pm

Thanks Alison, I shall be tuning in as I like both gents. Farming is in Mr Strictly's family as well.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:21 pm

Alison Wright wrote:New four part series with Nigel Slater & the lovely Adam Henson (from Adam's farm on Country File)

Starts Wed Nov 20th 8-9pm BBC1

Hope Nigel had a haircut & shave before filming started!

http://digiguide.tv/pick-of-the-day/20+ ... m-kitchen/

sorry to disappoint you Alison but I have seen a trailer for this and Nigel has done neither!

Postby Alison Wright » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:44 pm

strictlysalsaclare wrote:sorry to disappoint you Alison but I have seen a trailer for this and Nigel has done neither!

Well ..... what to say?

I didn't see any trailers beforehand, so I was pretty much shocked at his appearance & demeanour. Apart from the lank hair flopping over his face (which looked unwashed) & the scraggy beard, I thought he looked rather unwell. I feel sure he wouldn't have been allowed to cook in a pro kitchen in that state.

Can't make my mind up about the concept of the programme - it was neither farming nor food, although Adam Henson saved the day with his professionalism, he has a very pleasing on-screen presence. Sadly the same can't be said for Nigel Slater - there didn't seem much of a relationship between them.

On the whole I found it quite disappointing, but I'll stick with it for another week.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:58 pm

I partly disagree with you Alison, on this occasion. Mr Strictly and i thoroughly enjoyed it, and felt that it did cover both subjects well. I do agree with you about Nigel's beard, it doesn't suit him at all :? As Nigel seems to be a townie, I did get his slight cynicism/scepticism at times, but at least Adam proved him right :lol: I also think that Adam has made the programme, but i always have liked him when I've seen him on the TV.

On the whole I much preferred this programme to Harvest Live that was on a few weeks back (I gave up on that after one programme). We shall continue to watch this chez Strictly!

Postby dennispc » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:09 pm

I thought it worth another look, certainly it might make people think of where their food comes from and what’s involved.

I think Nigel Slater is a bit of a loner, though normally I enjoy his programmes. On this occasion it was useful to be shown the different cuts of meat but I think it unrealistic to put three of them in one dish.

Also the quantity of beef and veg shown for the meal for thirty was just a joke. One of our families has three teenage boys - last Saturday I did a tray that size of roast veg for six (a girlfriend) with a 2.5K chicken and most of it went. If the programme is highlighting cooking for thirty then show us how to cook for that number - not an amount for half a dozen with the rest being done backstage as it were.

Postby dennispc » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:15 pm

Saw some of last night's, but not that impressed - same formula, cooking for thirty but only showing enough for six.

Useful stuff on freezing strawberry plants and couldn't help thinking about the throw away line saying Skipjack tuna and Dolphin don't swim in the same sea.

Adam holds the programme together IMHO.

Nigel's comment about not slapping dough on the table - well, that's hardly the English way but Richard Bertinet doesn't have any problems with it.

As for putting dough in a warm place, well yes, but it doesn't have to be like that. Just explain a bit more.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:58 pm

We are still enjoying this chez Strictly, and we love the Weimaraner dog that the farmer and his family have as well!

Return to TV & Radio