Register

Anyone watching USA Cutthroat Kitchen?

What do you think about the food programmes being broadcast?

Anyone watching USA Cutthroat Kitchen?

Postby jeral » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:24 pm

Started on UK Food Network a couple of weeks ago and it's completely crazy. (9pm repeated 1am)

The format is that chefs rush to a pantry for items for an obligatory dish, then start cooking - have to make that dish, whatever happens, then the fun starts...

Cooking is stopped while an auction takes place to buy something that you'll give to another to sabotage him/her, e.g. take knives away so they can only use a plastic picnic knife for everything; replace the star item with a totally inadequate subsitute - oh! all sorts of quirky substitutions.

I'm getting hooked as it's fascinating watching the ingenuity and creativity as they work with one hand tied behind their backs. Similar to Chopped's "improbable" mystery ingredient combos, but ludicrously dafter :lol:

Re: Anyone watching USA Cutthroat Kitchen?

Postby mark111757 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:08 am

i have not seen the show but rather the listings for it....isnt that Alton Brown who is in it or the spokesman for it?

i thought he was quite good in the good eats series but he blew it for me when he was on iron chef america (what a horrible series that was IMHO) I would rather watch the original series in Japanese, which i did......

with one or two exceptions, the food competition thing has burned out for me.....tho Alvin Leung on master chef canada makes me laugh and brings a smile to my face as one of the judges.....

glad to see jeral you are liking it!!

Postby jeral » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:38 pm

Yes, it is Alton Brown who presents Cutthroat. I'm neutral about him as he's not dominant (to me at least). The loud, constant music is dominant on this and Chopped and especially Iron Chef :roll: There are some fancy, read: very expensive, smart TVs that can eliminate it. Unfortunately Hell will freeze over before I can afford one so just have to grin and bear it.

As to competitions, this one must appeal to the devious side I don't have but some contestants clearly do :twisted:

Postby Alison Wright » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:05 pm

I've recorded them so far since it started, but haven't watched any yet .....

Postby jeral » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:58 pm

Oh AlisonWright, you should at least watch one or two to get into it (if you can bear the music) as it really is "I don't believe it" from the contestants when they have to use a camping burner only, or their bread or fillet steak whatever is taken away and have to use their ingenuity to come up with something else from their basket as they can't go back to the pantry.

Also, they are judged on the dish they all have to present despite the judge not knowing they couldn't use knives, heat, bread, spuds whatever that someone has "bought" off them and substituted with a silly (dare I say cr**) replacement.

Great fun :evil:

Return to TV & Radio