Register

The GBBO Debacle

What do you think about the food programmes being broadcast?

The GBBO Debacle

Postby Alison Wright » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:39 pm

Like so many, I was in shock at how this lovely programme ended so horribly last night. I don't do social media, but apparently Diana Beard has been vilified by online abuse for her 'apparent sabotage' of fellow contestant Iain Watters. Her interview here on radio Shropshire http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p025l807
It beggars the question - would this have happened if the move from BBC2 to BBC1 hadn't gone ahead. Criticism has been levelled against the Love Production Co. for 'sexing it up' & mischievous editing.

Last weeks' evictee Jordan Cox tells what the GBBO process is really like. http://muffinimpossible.com/?p=85
Sad to have just heard Diana is now off the show, as she was taken ill before episode five was filmed.

Re: The GBBO Debacle

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:39 am

I watched this too, but I can't help feeling that Diana has been made a bit of a scapegoat in all this in the social media. If Iain had not removed his ice cream from the maker too early, i.e. before it was properly frozen, his baked alaska would have survived. Let's face it, they all had top notch ice cream making machines on their work-benches. Having said that, we had Custardgate issue in the last series (on BBC2) when cone of the competitors 'inadvertently' used someone else's custard which was much better than their own for one of the dishes.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:51 am

if the "debacle" occurred at a WI bake off everyone would merely find it mildly funny & it would be a moderate You-Tube success

It will be interesting to see how Ian comes across on Last Slice

I think there are two levels even within this group -those who are doing it as an interesting challenge that may lead to something (not sure what yet) - like Jordan & Ian & and those who really want it to make their career as it did for John Whaite from a previous series (I saw him compering a demo, and when I spotted him behind the stage and said aloud "oh look, there's John Whaite" you'd have though from the buzz I'd said "look. George Clooney" :) ) He was very good (and not listed as appearing)
[url]
http://www.johnwhaite.com/the-books/[/url]

Alison Wright wrote:Last weeks' evictee Jordan Cox tells what the GBBO process is really like. http://muffinimpossible.com/?p=85 v

Well worth reading I think, I'm not surprised they picked Jordan for TV - the first impression of a slightly excitable geek soon fades when you appreciate what a nice, thoughtful, young man he really is and following that through is good TV (and you have to have some good but not great bakers in the mix). It was obvious that the panel on Last Slice liked him

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:16 pm

Last year's winner was on Woman's Hour this morning and she confirmed what I thought was the case when I watched GBBO on Wednesday. The freezer space is limited and, because the doors are constantly opened and shut, totally inefficient - a bit like the sinks and ovens on the old MC.

She added that it was a lot like working in student accommodation with regards fridges and freezers but I have to say that no student accommodation I have ever seen has Kitchen Aids and top of the range icecream makers!!

Postby pcdennis » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:52 pm

How to make a drama out of a non-event :roll: with the papers making out Diana was deliberately trying to sabotage Ian’s Baked Alaska. The Telegraph reports that Mary and Paul had no choice but to throw Ian out. What a ridiculous phrase. Master Chef - one of you will be leaving this week - Bake Off - one of you won’t be joining us next week sounds so much nicer. Goodness knows what will happen next year as Sky now have a majority stake in Love Productions.

Apparently Sue’s tweeted that it was only out of the freezer for 40secs and Ian’s been quoted as saying it was nothing to do with Diana. At one stage Ian had the freezer door open, peeping in to see how it was going - getting warmer I suggest.

Certainly I’m looking forward to Slice tonight. Thanks Alison for that link, puts it all in perspective and is similar to others posted after their experience on Bake Off.

Postby Alison Wright » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:09 am

I've recorded tonight's 'Extra Slice' but haven't watched it yet.

It seems all the bakers were annoyed & frustrated when two of the five freezers broke down the day before filming & there wasn't enough freezer space for their ice creams.
http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio ... iana-beard

Ofcom has received complaints, but will not be investigating 'bin-gate'! I'm sure Love Production will be relieved at that.

I think the BBC have a lot to answer for. Only three freezers on the hottest day of the year - bad management! :evil: I hope they learn lessons from this.

Postby pcdennis » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:22 am

I’ll try not to spoil too much for you Alison, but there was a shot of one contestant leaning over an open chest freezer doing his piping with Sue getting really agitated with him. That didn’t help the temperature.

It’s OH’s view that if ice cream turns to liquid after a minute on the side, it couldn’t have been cold enough when coming out of those professional ice cream makers in the first place.

I’d agree with Sue’s twitter post, there’s a lot more ‘stuff’ going on elsewhere though I do think the programme makers (not the BBC) could apologise for the lack of working equipment and recall Ian.

Certainly he had a lot of courage to appear on Extra Slice.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:16 pm

Morning pcdennis!

I made the same observation as your OH about the ice cream being too soft when Iain took it out of the ice cream machine. When you saw him put it in there for the first time it was only marginally thicker than the milkshakes sold in burger joints, so he had no chance. I think ice cream machines stop automatically when the mixture is the right consistency anyway. Also, he was one of the weaker contestants so it was doubtful he would ever win the trophy.

cheers Clare

Postby pcdennis » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:05 pm

strictlysalsaclare wrote:he was one of the weaker contestants so it was doubtful he would ever win the trophy.

cheers Clare

And morning to you Clare, we agree.

Postby jeral » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:25 pm

I was surprised at the small size of the freezers - how could they be expected to stay cold with the door being opened every five mins? Should have hired a blast chiller for the day. Granted it's not meant to be a professional kitchen, but if at home, one could have left it in the freezer indefinitely.

Ian must have known he'd have to present something - anything. Perhaps he'd just had enough of the whole thing?

IIRC it was a very creative youngish cook who won last year, so he would have gone further.

Loving the tricolour plait loaf on Slice. Wonder what it tasted like...

Postby mark111757 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:43 am

this greeted me on facebook after everything went down.....

BwE2FlDIAAAi_KU.jpg
BwE2FlDIAAAi_KU.jpg (34.84 KiB) Viewed 12253 times

and not long after that, we got this

BwHfSxVCAAAhwb3.jpg
BwHfSxVCAAAhwb3.jpg (39.72 KiB) Viewed 12252 times

Postby jeral » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:20 pm

Well, semi finals last night - baklava and a pointless cake with 20 layers. Have to agree with the contestants - "Who makes their own filo?" and, "Would I make that 20-layer cake again?" (Answers on a postcard to...)

The final is this Wed 8th. Will it be the multi-time Star Baker? So much depends on the day's performance...

I have to say that Jo Brand hosting An Extra Slice makes me laugh more than almost anything else on the telly.

Good luck to the final three. I'm only prepared to bet that one of them will win ;)

Postby jeral » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:56 pm

Well, final done and dusted for this year. I won't give the game away. The "Extra Slice" programme is about to start...

Edit PS: I guess Masterchef Professionals ought to be appearing soon. Has anyone heard anything about that?

Postby mark111757 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:31 am

i thought it was a good series and an extra slice was fun.....looking foward to the masterclasses...

Postby jeral » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:38 pm

If you saw Mary on Extra Slice, you'll be as keen as I am to see whether she demonstrates making filo pastry ;) :lol:

One thing I'll miss about Slice is the look-alike cakes - my favourite is:

Brilliant :mrgreen:

Postby pcdennis » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:42 pm

The final was really good, but Extra Slice was even better and that stands for the series. Jo Brand was excellent.

Masterclass has become a background watch for us, it's a bit contrived and pedantic inbetween the important stuff - the making part.

Did anyone see HIGNFY last week? Sue was in the chair, her response to the idea that only on Strictly are there two female presenters was perfect. Underplayed but telling. Good for her.

Postby jeral » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:53 pm

I find Masterclass a bit tedious to watch but you kinda have to wade through to get the handy tips. I wish Jo Brand would host an extra slice on that too :mrgreen: as not many programmes cause a laugh-out-loud belly laugh.

Didn't see HIGNFY with the multi talented Sue. I'll do a catch up...

Return to TV & Radio