Register

European food prices following the EU Referendum results

Links to current threads on the old Food Board

European food prices following the EU Referendum results

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:37 am

Hi All

Now the results are in, and the Leave campaign has just scraped through, does this mean the price of European food stuffs will go through the roof? If so, how long will it take for this to happen?

I voted to Remain in the EU and am now feeling really worried for the UK's future unless Parliament decide to veto it when trying to put the relevant Act of Parliament through. I can't help thinking the lunatics have taken over the asylum and will bring the UK to it's shoulders :? ! Apologies to any Leave voters out of us UK foodies on here!

Re: European food prices following the EU Referendum results

Postby cooksalot » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:03 pm

Don't post here very often but have been looking at some of the comments on the Wildfood site. I have not felt so depressed about politics for a long time. This is a bad day for the United Kingdom. It seems like the older voters have voted on the future of the young and I think they will feel cheated.
Scotland will cede from the union, possibly Northern Ireland too. I hope old rivalries are not awakened there. I wish that London (where I live) could go it alone.
Madame LePen in France and Mijnheer Wilders in Holland are rubbing their hands in glee. :vomit
Prices may well go up. At the moment someone needs to get the markets and pound back under control.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:10 pm

Food prices will change, but not for some time as a direct result of the Brexit, food prices may go up in line with fluctuations in the exchange rate at any time (like tomorrow)
In the long run this may make UK farming more sustainable as we will buy UK produce because it is marginally less expensive but I'm not optimistic about that

I'm gutted about the whole thing.

Postby Uschi » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:13 pm

They will go up. There will be import duty on them. I guess that some special deals will be made with Britain, but why should she get all the perks without shouldering some of the burdens? Did the Brexiters think that would happen?

It is a bad day.
My partner is worried that the Dutch and the French are next to break away ... maybe someone should point out what would happen if we had border controls again with our huge volume of goods traffic. Entire regions would sink into gridlock with all those little cars caught up in that, too.
At the moment we have many cross-border commuters ... what would they do?

And what would happen to tourism? At the moment many Germans enjoy a day or weekend trip to one of the neighbouring countries, and the neighbours come to us. That is serious money and many businesses will be badly affected.

I have spent too much time waiting on the inner-German border to ever want to see this coming back.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:34 pm

Phew, I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way on here!

Although we can grow a lot of the food we buy from abroad on these shores, but what about things like oranges, lemons etc. Does this mean they will become a luxury item eventually?

Postby Uschi » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:49 pm

I've no idea. Fingers crossed for you!

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:03 pm

strictlysalsaclare wrote:Although we can grow a lot of the food we buy from abroad on these shores, but what about things like oranges, lemons etc. Does this mean they will become a luxury item eventually?

Although quite a lot of citrus fruits comes from Spain & Italy they also comes from South Africa, other commonwealth countries, Israel (Jaffa oranges!), Morocco & South America
I don't remember them being prohibitively expensive pre-EU

On the plus side we might get the gorgeous Moroccan tomatoes that disappeared circa 1980 back again! (I'm clutching at straws here)

Postby jeral » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:27 pm

As to food and other things the UK imports from the EU, I'd be very surprised if they would make their goods unattractively expensive since the UK can trade freely elsewhere (once Leave is finalised). Granted it might want to impose a small tariff.

In immediate terms, the depressed £ will make imports dearer as of now, but it'll undoubtedly pick up soon from its very low point of this morning's early hours.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:43 pm

Food prices will go up. Mainly because of the currency at the moment but also becasue of any future tarrifs.

If there is one think that sppoks the market it is uncertainty and that has been increased even more today with Cameron's resignation and the distinct possibility that a general election will follow the election of a new prime minister.

Add to that the fact that so many of the UKs agricultural workers, the casual workers especially, are young people from Eastern Europe. There simply won't be enough hands to do the necessary work because very few British people will do the work, even if they are paid higher wages.

I am afraid many people are going to live to regret what happened yesterday, all the worse because it didn't need to happen anyway.

Postby cooksalot » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:54 pm

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

I've signed this petition. Not much and probably won't help but as one of the 48.1% I can't help thinking the Brexit vote is far too small a majority to turn our lives (and those of our children and grandchildren upside down).

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:10 pm

Nobody knows yet.

Armageddon hasn't happened, and seemingly our economy is robust.
Sterling is stronger than it was a week ago.

We might be drinking Welsh wine from now on and eating UK seasonally.

Postby jeral » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:10 pm

Joanbunting wrote:Food prices will go up. Mainly because of the currency at the moment but also becasue of any future tarrifs.

If there is one think that sppoks the market it is uncertainty and that has been increased even more today with Cameron's resignation and the distinct possibility that a general election will follow the election of a new prime minister.

Add to that the fact that so many of the UKs agricultural workers, the casual workers especially, are young people from Eastern Europe. There simply won't be enough hands to do the necessary work because very few British people will do the work, even if they are paid higher wages.

I am afraid many people are going to live to regret what happened yesterday, all the worse because it didn't need to happen anyway.

Joanbunting, taking your last sentence, I think a referendum was inevitable sooner or later due to the undercurrent of unrest that's been bubbling under for at least a decade and the more so with the ever changing face of the EU and self determined desire for more power (and monetary contributions diverted to pay for the bureaucracy).

I'm quite optimistic for the future, despite it'll take a while to settle. As to the effect on the EU, who knows? It's now up to them. Maybe it's a good thing that the UK public has taken a stand and refused to be bullied so the EU bureaucracy (elected or otherwise) will pay more attention to its remaining members' voices.

As to our agriculture and cheap pickers i.e. "cheap foreign labour" some of which is off the book slave labour, that's surely shameful on us isn't it? However, as far as I know, temporary work visas would be possible, not just permanent stay visas. (Although once in the country, overstaying visas is a typical route for staying permanently under the radar. but that's a different argument.)

Postby hungryhousewife » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:31 pm

I voted Remain too, and am equally devastated - I was talking to one of my friends this morning saying I felt like we were all strapped into a toboggan, whizzing at huge speed towards a snowy ravine, with Boris at the helm shouting 'Whoopee!!', while we all cling on with our eyes squinted shut!

However, I now have chosen to take the view that we are lucky to live in a democracy, its just that this time we were out voted. We are here now, and we need to hold our heads up and keep positive.

When I took my dogs for a walk this morning, the world was still turning and the birds were still singing.

HH

Postby Pampy » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:21 pm

Joan - I agree that there shouldn't have been a referendum in the first place. We elect our representatives to Parliament on the basis of their (or their party's) stated aims and if they don't do what we think they should, we vote against them the next time. Most members of the general public would hardly have an inkling of the full ramifications of either leaving or remaining in the EU - we should leave that to our elected representatives.
My sister and I have been talking about the result today and both of us are glad that we're towards the end of our lives, rather than having a lot of it in front of us. I fear for the future of the UK.

Postby Renée » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:15 pm

That's exactly what I have been saying all along, Pampy. A friend on another board told me that people in The Netherlands and also Italy are wanting a referendum. Where will it lead, I wonder.

Petrol is going up almost immediately, I read. :thumbsdown

Postby Uschi » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:21 pm

Renée, some people want a referendum in Germany, too. Mostly right-wingers. They may be loud at the moment, but they are not the majority.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:43 pm

I'm afraid this is my Photoshoppery response to the news (note that I've adapted the flag to show 28 countries...):

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:56 pm

I think it`s way too soon to be talking about price rises, immigration problems, health issues, financial markets and business deals. The prophets of doom, of course, are already prognosticating Armageddon. That is not going to happen; Britain is too strong and too well established a democracy to go into free-fall chaos.
What DOES need to happen is to gather a little patience and wait. The referendum was only 24 hours ago, and already some folks seem to be writing suicide notes. The current government will probably do very little about Brexit, because most of its members voted to stay. Until there is a new PM, I doubt there will be any substantial moves.
There is no precedent in history for this move, so we (or rather, you) are faced with change. Change is constant, change is always present, change obliges us to be creative and to innovate, our business gurus will tell us, so get used to it or get left behind.
Signing a petition to have another referendum is, IMHO, like a child having a tantrum and stamping its little feet. Another referendum is not going to happen. Parliament is not going to vote against what the British people decided in the ballot box.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:13 pm

This thread is becoming uncomfortable, does anyone object if I suspend it? Maybe we should agree not to discuss religion or politics here :-(

I'm off to work now, and asked Gill to deal with the flack, if she's around...

Postby jeral » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:13 pm

Sakkarin, what about a Sticky Chatterbox thread? (For now at least.) It's really interesting to hear what perspectives people have or changes to report from their locations at home and abroad given widely scattered membership, as well as being able to argue the toss one way or the other in the short term.

It'd be a shame to suspend discussion, which will probably die naturally in a few days anyway once it's no longer headline news. Just my view.

Next

Return to Room 101