Register

Beware of burglars

Christmas, Easter, Birthday, Hanukkah, Diwali and Ramadan chat.

Beware of burglars

Postby jeral » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:49 pm

I've just heard on the radio that if a house is burgled and thieves get away with a good haul, they could well mark the house in some obscure way to show that it was worth burgling and so could well be burgled again.

It makes sense as most people would no doubt replace stolen goods via insurance, so the moral of the story is that if one has been burgled, up the security. I suspect, given that insurers try to avoid paying out claims, it could even jeopardise one's future insurability after being burgled once, but almost certainly if burgled more than once.

Just thought it worth mentioning as a many burglaries are after dark and nights are drawing in a lot now so perhaps a good time to check or even upgrade security.

Re: Beware of burglars

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:36 pm

That's why on most areas the Crime Prevention Officer someoen from the insurance company will visit you after a good haul & advise you on how to make it more difficult next time

Though the CPO who told me I needed anti-climb paint on a specific drain pipe made me laugh - it would have collapsed if anything heavier than a marmoset had shinned up it (intentional), and the only accessible window was 3 stories up & tiny

I don't think we have a significant population of criminal marmosets in East London :?

Postby jeral » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:49 pm

Not sure about marmosets, lol, although regarding small windows, I did see a programme ages ago whereby a burglar employed a small child to get through the narrow upper section of windows, the logic being that if the opening was big enough for a child's head, then the child's whole body could get through. That said, once the child was inside, he/she would still need to be able to open a door or window from the inside, unless trained like a magpie so steal only small items to pass through the small opening.

Insurance companies sometimes insist that everything is locked from the inside (and keys removed of course) which scares me as how would one escape in the event of fire?

I dislike the idea of becoming paranoid and also of being virtually a prisoner in my own house. I suppose we all have to do what we're comfortable with - and having made one's bed...

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:01 am

Stokey Sue wrote:That's why on most areas the Crime Prevention Officer someoen from the insurance company will visit you after a good haul & advise you on how to make it more difficult next time

Though the CPO who told me I needed anti-climb paint on a specific drain pipe made me laugh - it would have collapsed if anything heavier than a marmoset had shinned up it (intentional), and the only accessible window was 3 stories up & tiny

I don't think we have a significant population of criminal marmosets in East London :?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

jeral wrote:Not sure about marmosets, lol, although regarding small windows, I did see a programme ages ago whereby a burglar employed a small child to get through the narrow upper section of windows, the logic being that if the opening was big enough for a child's head, then the child's whole body could get through. That said, once the child was inside, he/she would still need to be able to open a door or window from the inside, unless trained like a magpie so steal only small items to pass through the small opening.

That is why here all accessible windows have to have shutters and/or bars

Return to Chatterbox Archive