Register

A Letter of Note - from June 1st 1586

Christmas, Easter, Birthday, Hanukkah, Diwali and Ramadan chat.

A Letter of Note - from June 1st 1586

Postby Alison Wright » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:50 am

My son sent this today, so moving it made me openly weep. Please take time to read it.

http://www.lettersofnote.com/2012/09/ho ... of-me.html

The Arabic word Ya'aburnee" translates to "You bury me" and literally means "The hope that a loved one will outlive you as to spare yourself the pain of living without them"

Re: A Letter of Note - from June 1st 1586

Postby jeral » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:28 am

I must be way more pragmatic than you as I reckon that once someone has gone, they've gone, so I'd be crying for myself in self pity about what I had lost, whatever poetic fine words I said about that, and not for the person. My mum used to say (probably still does) that if the grief shown at funerals had been goodness of heart directed during life, it would make more sense.

I've no doubt that many will find the poem moving. I do, but I guess I'm stiff upper lip - after all, there's no choice really is there, unless like in Victorian times a woman "might take to her bed". Have to keep chin up that life either goes on or it doesn't. It's one heck of a lot harder to be strong in reality than it is to type about it, but needs must.

Re: A Letter of Note - from June 1st 1586

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:46 am

Morning Alison

I'm usually fairly stiff-upper lip but once in a wile something really moves me and that letter was one such time.

Another was when my aunt died, in hospital during the night. When my cousin went to tell my uncle early the next morning he too was dead, of natural causes. He had been writing a letter to a friend saying that he suddenly felt he could give up trying to stay alive.

Their funeral turned out to be a remarkably joyous occassion even though it was Christmas Eve.

Return to Chatterbox Archive