Register

Wedding at 8,000 ft.....

Christmas, Easter, Birthday, Hanukkah, Diwali and Ramadan chat.

Wedding at 8,000 ft.....

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:17 pm

We've been invited to a wedding this afternoon.
Caracas is framed by a magnificent range of mountains known colloquially as "The Avila" - even though The Avila is only one of the several mountains in the range:
El Avila.jpg
El Avila.jpg (49.2 KiB) Viewed 2706 times

However,we're actually going to the other side. A little village called Galipan.
Let you know what we ate later on!

Re: Wedding at 8,000 ft.....

Postby jeral » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:24 am

Gosh - up in the clouds, even if down the other side. The food you tell us about at such events is bordering on incomprehensible by sheer volume and variety, but the main thing of course is that the bride and groom live happily ever after :)

Is it stupid to ask for fine weather? No idea what it's like there, but hurricanes etc make me wonder if the altitude you're at misdirects (redirects?) such away...

Anyway, toast to the bride and groom: Cheers!

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:38 pm

It was an absolutely glorious afternoon. The sun shone brightly and the clouds breezed in and out to freshen things up from time to time:
Galipan.jpg
Galipan.jpg (11.24 KiB) Viewed 2694 times

Firstly we had to get there, though. We piled into the back of a jeep and clattered up a winding, extremely steep mountain road until we reached the peak of the mountain. Then began the tortuous route down the hill to Galipán. Hair-raising, to say the least :shock: :shock: The house where the event was held was beautifully decorated, and a peek over the balcony (just to the left of the photo above) revealed the Caribbean, 6000 feet below.
The food? Well these guys certainly spared no expense to bring us the very best. The appetisers included crispy wonton packets filled with vegetables,vol-au-vents filled with seafood, chicken "crumble" (tiny chicken-filled tarts topped with a crumble); phyllo envelopes stuffed with goat cheese and sundried tomatoes, mini egg rolls, pate de foie with truffles.
As an entrée, a plate of exquisite, raw salmon, with a delicate topping of finely julienned vegetables and ginger, and a wasabi cream. Then for the buffet, there was fillet steak and lamb chops (with bearnaise I believe); mixed mushrooms, glazed baby carrots, mixed salad, avocado and mango salad and rice for those who wanted it.
Washed down, meanwhile with Moet & Chandon Imperial Brut, some delicious Carbernet Sauvignon from Chile and/or Johnny Walker Black Label.
As we hurtled down the mountain in the pitch black, we all reflected on wonderful afternoon and whether we'd make it it one piece to the bottom :? :stfu :lol: :lol:
We don't get hit by hurricanes here; we're protected by the mountain range along the Venezuelan coast and by the "horn" of South America, where Surinam is.

Postby jeral » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:01 pm

Yey! Good weather :) Yey! Home in one piece! :) Reminds me of a tourist daytrip in a coach to a jolly festival night at the top of a Crete mountain and homewards also in pitch black...

The food: What can one say? You'll have to get your name on the local "court circular" as a professional wedding guest ;) Do you realise, it could be your first post that has no mention of chillis? :mrgreen:

Delighted it all went well :)

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:15 pm

KK

Sounds wonderful - foodwise. I am not the best passenger in the world on vertiginous roads so I think I would have been asking for someone to bring me a takeaway :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Glad you returned in one piece and had a wonderful time.

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:55 pm

I have to admit that the journey up and down was a little hairy. :shock: :shock:
However, the food was wonderful.
The only slightly odd thing was the salmon. I completely forgot to add that, on its own, it was spectacular. The ginger and the wasabi cream were just enough to complement the fish, which I think was probably sushi-style salmon loin. However, it was accompanied by a mango/red onion/avocado salsa. An inexplicable fusion of Mexican and Japanese!
All the other bits and pieces, however - really wonderful.

Postby MagicMarmite » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:06 pm

Wow, that sounds amazing, I'm very envious.

Postby Doug » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:17 pm

Wonderful KK and so glad you got home in one piece! I remember a journey like that in Borneo
- never again! It was terrifying.

What wonderful food you had. A feast! Do post a pic of the happy couple and the house, if you can.

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:47 pm

Wish I could Doug, but the photos were taken by a friend who, as yet, hasn't sent us the pics.
As soon as they're available - publish and be damned!! :lol:

Return to Chatterbox Archive