Register

Telephone companies - I hate them

Christmas, Easter, Birthday, Hanukkah, Diwali and Ramadan chat.

Telephone companies - I hate them

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:44 pm

Hi everyone

Just want to let off steam really but this weekend we have had three incidents of telecoms companies just not doing their jobs.

!st S-I-L in Derbyshire lost all lines last Thursday and was informed that they were attending to the matter urgently and it would be fixed, probably, by Oct 2nd (ie in 6 days time) She runs a business from home.

2nd DD lost all telephone and internet in Va USA on Friday - once again squirrels doing tightrope acts on the ridiculous overhead wires that make the whole place look like a cat's cradle. Still not fixed and her OH is away in Europe on NATO business.

3rd - Us. Our lines went down for no reason on Sunday came back briefly then went down again, all over the area. Supermarkets couldn't accept cards or cheques but cash points were also down. We don't have a mobile signal here so half the hameau were getting into their cars and trying to find a place with a signal but even when they did all we got was a recorded message saying the public were making too many calls and they couldn't cope but if - wait for this - we went onto the internet we would be able to follow progress !
Finally today some of us went up to the Marie - whose lines were also down and asked for action. Madame le Maire was brilliant and went into Avignon and demanded action and 3 hours later back it came. Several communes are now tabling a motion to the Department asking for action. We have a "rupture" at least once a month and it is damaging local businesses.

Don't you love world-wide efficiency in vital services??

Re: Telephone companies - I hate them

Postby jeral » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:49 pm

Have you checked to see if you (or relations) can claim any compensation? I managed after stamping my foot to get £20 off my bill when the internet went down for 11 days(!) in the run-up to Christmas a couple of years ago despite that neighbours' lines were all fine. Good luck both with that and that the pressure being imposed has some effect.

An item in the paper this week should give you a laugh to cheer you up. A postbox at Birmingham New Street Station hadn't been emptied for 23 years http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/19754818 :shock:

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:57 am

Hi Jeral

Yes I did hear about that postbox.

When we lived in the North east there was a big fuss about a whole street in one of the smarter suburbs not receiving any mail for days and days. The sorting office siad there just hadn't been any. Some residents then got people to send trial mail and that didn't arrive. The mystery was solved when someone went to collect a parcel from the sorting office and, while the man went to look for it she noticed, through the window a heap of assorted mail - yes you have guessed.

To add insult to injury the office was, still is, in what used to be the lunatic assylum :roll: :roll:

We did manage to get some money back from Orange after our internet was down for several days although everyone elses lines were fine. Our lines are back but all the hameaus to the east and part of the town are still off.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:28 pm

Postby Wokman » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:30 pm

Since the telephone company has admitted it was their fault I would demand that they pay me back the full amount as a good will gesture :lol:

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:44 pm

hi Wokman

How are you?

The bit in that story I like best is the fact that they offered to accept payment in installments :lol: :lol: :lol:
To infinity and beyond.

Postby Wokman » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:39 pm

Hi Joan,

getting better thanks, still plenty of pain to be going on with for another couple of weeks yet.

At least France tried to solve the national deficit by blaming it on one woman, Britain is still looking for a scapegoat :lol:

Postby jeral » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:39 pm

Perhaps the lady had bought a granny flat for the proverbially much-maligned mother in law on the moon and it was for set-up costs? It's a pity she didn't ignore the bill and wait for them to sue her... After all, it must be right if the computer says so.

Return to Chatterbox Archive