Register

What colour is...

Christmas, Easter, Birthday, Hanukkah, Diwali and Ramadan chat.

What colour is...

Postby jeral » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:58 pm

... Alaska red salmon?
1) Red
2) White
3) Blue

TV quiz question to win a cookery book via Food Network channel. Not sure if it's free or not as it's via their website rather than £stupid per minute phone call.

Another colour quiz question today:

What colour is the black box recorder that they look for after an aeroplane crashes:

1) Yellow
2) Orange
3) Red

So obviously not black. You'd imagine it would be the one that shows up best against background terrain or mixed in with aircraft debris.

I know the correct answer to the second question above, but I'm stumped by the first ;)

---

On a quiz today, a contestant professed to being a bit of a foodie at the outset, oops! The question came up: "What fruit is used in duck bigarade?" cherry, or orange or raspberry. Regrettably got the wrong answer, but I wouldn't have known.

---

Just to round off, I found the luminous paint I was seeking ages ago on Amazon :)

Re: What colour is...

Postby Suelle » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:44 am

Unless one is really stupid, or in some instances, haven't really watched the programme that the competition is about, the 'quizes/competitions' on TV are really just a lottery designed to guage viewer interest.
The blog which does what it says on the tin:

http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby jeral » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:30 pm

The black box question is genuine by the way, as heard on "The Chase" recently (ITV1 5pm daily). The contestants have to answer questions very quickly so it doesn't half test one's powers of instant recall - like a general knowledge version of BBC2's Mastermind.

Postby Suelle » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:41 pm

jeral wrote:The black box question is genuine by the way, as heard on "The Chase" recently (ITV1 5pm daily). The contestants have to answer questions very quickly so it doesn't half test one's powers of instant recall - like a general knowledge version of BBC2's Mastermind.

Yes, I realised that. I meant the competitions that appear at the end of programmes on commercial channels, such as your 'What colour is red salmon?' question.
The blog which does what it says on the tin:

http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Dena » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:20 pm

I watch The Chase too jeral and did wonder about the contestant who said they were a foodie and didn't know what sauce Bigarade was - they got it wrong anyway, it isn't just orange it should be seville oranges. I know that is quibbling because lots of people use ordinary oranges but bigarade is the name for Seville oranges in France and surely a quiz show should at least know the absolute answer. .

I can remember my first try with a mallard duck and Elizabeth David's recipe - it was really lovely, three cheers for E.D. :clap

Postby jeral » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:53 pm

Duck used to be a favourite treat donkey's years ago when I ate meat, especially the then ubiquitous pancakes with plum(?) sauce and spring onions. I cooked one around last Xmas for someone "with usual Xmas trimmings". Surprisingly, the person said they'd never ever eaten duck.

On The Chase, the correct answers often aren't given at all during the initial "money builder"(?) stage as if an incorrect answer is given they just go straight on to the next question. Thank goodness for the internet eh?

Incidentally, black boxes are also orange, as apparently they started off black and the monicka stuck although were subsequently painted/taped fluorescent orange so to be more easily spotted amidst debris.

Return to Chatterbox Archive