Register

Experimental blog

Christmas, Easter, Birthday, Hanukkah, Diwali and Ramadan chat.

Experimental blog

Postby Wokman » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:36 pm

Having seen some of the marvellous blogs that people have on here I decided to create one as an experiment to post recipes and pictures.
I am a complete novice when it comes to making a blog, but I thought I would give it a go anyway. I have used "blogger" to create it and I was hoping to pick your brains and tell me how to improve it.

I will continue posting recipes on there until I get the hang of it, but I would appreciate it if you would give me your input and help me to get it the way some of you have your blogs.

http://wokmans.blogspot.co.uk/

All criticism is welcome either good or bad, thanks :crossed

Re: Experimental blog

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:26 pm

I'll have a proper look - first glance looks good, at least it is a colour scheme and a font I can read! (That's a serious problem)

Postby Mrs Vee » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:06 pm

Hi Wokman – I’ve had a look at your blog and I think it looks really good; very clear and clean, it also has quite a friendly sound to it. :thumbsup

Like recipe books, everyone has their own idea of what they do and don’t like about a blog; e.g. I don’t like busy blogs with masses of tabs and links on the front page and, although it was a prize-winner, I really didn’t like the writing style of the ‘best Irish blog’ that was mentioned in another thread. ;)

Some days I get loads of hits, other days there’ll be almost no-one about, but being veggie my audience is a lot smaller than an omnivore’s blog. It's quite fun to see which posts others find interesting. Like you I use Blogger; I find it much easier to work with than Wordpress which used to be a nightmare! My blog doesn’t have a ‘professional’ feel to it nor do I have adverts flashing up all over it, it’s written just for family and friends and also as a sort of living recipe book for me.

I would only offer a couple of points, if I may:

1. Put a ‘Labels’ list to one side of your blog so that readers can find all recipes containing e.g. peppers or fish.
2. Give quantities for all ingredients for your recipes, or people will complain if their attempt doesn’t turn out like yours. :roll:

Postby jeral » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:23 pm

A thing I liked was that it loads quickly. Not sure if because no ads yet or not much archive yet or just good design (possibly without realising it) but a thing that drives me mad is slow loading so perhaps something to track as tempus fugits?

Postby Wokman » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:16 pm

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it and also thanks to those of you who sent me a PM. There are still a few things I am trying to figure out, but trial and error goes a long way and is sometimes infuriating. It might be quick loading as there isn't much content on there as yet, but I can't be sure if that is the reason.
I love the look of your blog Mrs.Vee, that is the kind of thing I am trying to accomplish. I will be joining yours as well although Puss in boots is good with everything vegan, especially baking I want a few recipes that I can simply make for my mother or other vegetarian guests and your blog fits the bill :thumbsup

Any other hints and tips that anyone can give me will be gratefully received.

Postby kavey » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:11 am

Looks great!

I agree with the suggestion to provide an ingredients list, preferably with amounts, in an easy-to-read list somewhere in the posts...

Postby Puss-in-boots » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:10 pm

I will get round to making lists of ingredients and measurements its just that sometimes I forget where I am and before I know it its in the pan, much to OHs dismay... :roll:

Return to Chatterbox Archive