Register

More Techie Help Needed

Christmas, Easter, Birthday, Hanukkah, Diwali and Ramadan chat.

More Techie Help Needed

Postby Alison Wright » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:23 am

Had problems with my laptop recently. I got it back today & when I make a Google search - the UK Google page comes up instead of the whole web.

There used to be a link on the left side of the page saying "pages from the UK" which I sometimes clicked on if I was looking for something specifically British - but I'd really like to reinstate the "whole web" option as well as the link to British sites as well.

I'd really appreciate it if anyone could help with this.

Re: More Techie Help Needed

Postby jeral » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:27 am

My side panel disappeared a couple of years ago on Google.

Google UK "fills the page". However, if I type in my search criteria - e.g. Yorkshire puds, it brings up results from the whole web.

Now, beneath the search box but above the results is a horizontal menu, the last of which is "Search Tools". If you click that, another horizontal menu appears. The first is "The web ▼" which, if clicked, offers the option of either The Web or Pages from the UK.

I don't know a quicker way of getting UK pages only. On mine, the whole web is ticked as the default. I haven't figured out how to switch the default permanently to UK pages. Someone else might know. Edit, someone else might know how to switch yours back to whole web if somehow it is defaulting to UK pages. See what's ticked?

Return to Chatterbox Archive