Register

Christmas has started

Christmas, Easter, Birthday, Hanukkah, Diwali and Ramadan chat.

Christmas has started

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:29 pm

Today's the day in Provence.

It is the feast of St Barabara and tradition has it that we plant three saucers of wheat today and grow them until Chandeleur - Candlemas (2nd February). If they flourish then we will have a prosperous year ahead. This year I will have to rely on a neighbour to water them, so fingers crossed.

I know all our neighbours have sown the wheat today and although M and I are not in the least bit religious we love observing the local traditions and this is one we have observed for many years now.

Do you do traditional - even if not religious. How important is it to you?

Re: Christmas has started

Postby calabash » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:30 am

I had never heard of that one Joan - thanks for posting! I am all over tradition and folklife, I love the things that are passed down through the generations. I love that my Scottish mother brought her Christmas pudding and cake traditions to Bermuda when she arrived on a troop ship to marry my father after they met in the UK during the war. I love that my father always made the Bermudian Christmas cassava pie, and that we all dug and scraped and ground the cassava for it.

I love that my mother adapted her cake-making tradition by soaking the dried fruit in black rum around Cup Match time at the end of July :lol:

Our Christmas traditions in Bermuda revolve around food, alcohol, lots and lots of lights to compensate for no snow, and ever since that year that there was a problem with a disease on imported trees - the fear of not getting a tree.

We really, really take Christmas seriously here, usually from about now until the first week of January we're celebrating - unfortunately we have an election on 17 December which is throwing a major spanner in the works and generally ticking us all off.

Return to Chatterbox Archive