Register

Foreign Fillums

Christmas, Easter, Birthday, Hanukkah, Diwali and Ramadan chat.
Site Admin

Foreign Fillums

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:36 pm

In case anyone wants to discuss them here, as I've kind of hijacked a food discussion on the main board!

Re: Foreign Fillums

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:21 pm

Hi Sakkarin.

Have a look out for Poetry - it's a South Korean film I saw advertised at the weekend on Channel 4, or perhaps it was BBC4?

I'll keep my eyes open for the trailer again.

We're members of the Foreign Film Society here in Cheltenham and are seeing a screening of it in February.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:23 pm

Found it - Film 4 Tues 8th Jan at 10:55 : http://www.channel4.com/programmes/poetry

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:00 pm

Afternoon both

Pan's Labyrinth is on BBC 2 next Saturday - will make sure to catch it.

M's favourite film of all time/any language is Kagemusha - the pre-cursor to The Magnificent Seven. We first saw it together at the pretentiously named Kinema at Uni. He still watches it several times a year.

My favourite has to be La Gloire de mon Pére. I adore Pagnol anyway and it absolutely sums up the passion I developed for this part of the world and how devastated I felt at the end of each summer when we had to go back to Newcastle

We also love silly films like Les Visiteurs and Bienvenue Chez les Ch'ti and the sequel Rien a Declarer. The first time M and DD watched Les Vis, they laughed so much they nearly did themselves a mischief!!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:52 pm

We first saw it together at the pretentiously named Kinema at Uni

I guess you would go to see philmz at Kinema.

I remember WANTING to check out Les Visiteurs at the time as it looked like fun, but can't remember if I ended up seeing it or not! Will have to get a copy - I see there is a sequel - is that worth getting? There's a single copy of Visiteurs on Amazon for £3.89, but both films for 6 quid.

I think I've seen Gloire de Mon Pere too - although cost of DVD is a bit steep.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:05 pm

Hi Sakkarin

Les Visiteurs at the price you mention is absolutely worth every penny - listen out for the quails eggs :D :D

The sequel is OK but not in the same league really.

The reason M loved it so much was because he actually studied medieval French (get him!!) I just love it because it is so funny but rather touching too.

Hve you seen the animated film involving the Tour de France? In English it is called The Triplets of Belleville?
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_tri ... elleville/

Another absolute favourite though some folk we have lent it/showed it too just don't get it!!

Postby cooksalot » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:00 pm

Hi Joan - I love the animated film about the Tour de France - it's Belleville Rendevous, isn't it? With the rather strange old ladies in Belleville (New York). Had no idea it had another name in English.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:37 pm

cooksalot wrote:Hi Joan - I love the animated film about the Tour de France - it's Belleville Rendevous, isn't it? With the rather strange old ladies in Belleville (New York). Had no idea it had another name in English.

That's the one - we must watch it again some time soon!

We were emptying cupboards at the weekend ready for the decorators to repair the honey damage and bee search and found a stack of old VHS cassettes of all manner of foreign films. M thought he had transferred them to DVD but obviously didn't quite finish. Amongst them were La Reine Margot - the full version - a bit gory in places but fascinating.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Reine_M ... 94_film%29.

We also found Tous les Matins du Monde - with the now much maligned Gerard Dippydoos. Wonderful music - we loved it.

http://www.imdb.fr/title/tt0103110/

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:32 pm

On Saturday evening we watched one of our favourite films of all times. Ran.
Prompted by a piece about the Japanese film's music composer on Radio 4 last week. We had completely forgotten we had it.

Anyone else know it?

Postby Dena » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:01 pm

Has anyone seen "Rififi". I saw it many, many years ago and it still sticks in my mind. Evidently Francois Truffaut thought it the best "film noir" he'd ever seen.

I googled it after reading this and hadn't realised it was available on DVD, definitely going to buy it.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:53 pm

Love both Ran & Rififi

My favourite foreign film used to be Giulieta of the Spirits (Fellini), but I haven't dared watch it for years in case it disappoints

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juliet_of_the_Spirits

For fun Huit Femmes is good - Ludivine Sagnier nearly steals the movie from Deneuve & Seyrig, and we spent months singing "Papa tu ne'est pas dans le Coup" (her big song, formerly by Sheila - a sort of French Lulu clone)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8_Women

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:13 pm

Forgot Wim Wenders Wings of Desire - such a beautiful movie

Postby Dena » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:22 pm

I don't know those Stokey Sue, will have to look out for them :thumbsup

I really know what you mean with not watching in case it is not as good as you thought. I watched again (not foreign though) a film that I had thought amazing at the time, but was just so disappointed.

Postby Dena » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:02 am

I have just watched Rififi again having bought a copy from Amazon.

I did wonder if I would find it disappointing this time around. Dated - yes : misogynistic - yes : disappointed - no : it still gripped me, maybe not as much as the first time and I did find the last scenes not as good as I remembered but it was still better than a lot of today's films imo.

What did really surprise me was most female figures, it looked as if size 16 was the smallest and 18 the norm.

Postby Dena » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:35 pm

A friend came for coffee yesterday and she said that she had just bought a copy of a film that had haunted her since she saw it in one of the Arts cinemas in London many years ago. She said most people didn't know of it and said it was called Guilieta of the Spirits. She was amazed when I told her I had read about it not so long ago.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:06 pm

For a moment there I thought I had come across a bargain: I was looking for a copy of Il Postino (DVD rareish so expensive) and Amazon threw this up...

Il Postino DVD on Amazon....

:-)

Other than that, I'm dead chuffed - with the arrival of "Farewell My Concubine" (which took 4 weeks to arrive from Korea), I now have a complete set of all the Foreign Oscar winners (on the left) and Cannes Palme d'Or winners (on the right) from the last 25 years.

All the ones I've watched so far (got 13 left to watch yet) I've enjoyed, all worthy films in my view with a couple of exceptions: Uncle Boonmee just seemed shoddy; and Dancer in The Dark, which I find unwatchable and can't put my finger on quite why. No doubt one day I will bite the bullet and watch it all the way through, and maybe it will redeem itself.

I've also got a few films in response to this thread, favourite so far is Belleville Rendezvous, and have watched it several times - watching the "how it was made" extra made it even more enjoyable, when you realise much of it is computer generated, not hand drawn, which is why the pushbikes in it are so beautifully rendered.

Postby Dena » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:37 pm

My friend brought back my copy of Rififi today - she and her school teacher daughter were hooked she said, she didn't think she would like it but got really engrossed. She has now bought a couple of copies as presents for people.

She also loaned me Juliet of the Spirits. Looking forward to seeing it after your review Stokey Sue.

Does the Richard Burton film of Under Milk Wood (Welsh ?) count as a foreign fillum Sakkarin? (sorry Lush :? ) Still magical to me. Watched it again last weekend.

Return to Chatterbox Archive