Register

Computer Help Really Needed Please

Christmas, Easter, Birthday, Hanukkah, Diwali and Ramadan chat.

Re: Computer Help Really Needed Please

Postby Alison Wright » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:17 pm

Letter came from the bank today. I signed & returned it together with the card cut in two as requested - along with all email addresses shown in mine & Tatihou's earlier posts to help with the investigation.

The bank advanced me an overdraft of £125 (although I didn't need or ask for it) until Visa has concluded it's investigation. They're also reporting the matter to the police.

I checked my account with the bank this afternoon, & no further payments have been taken by this company.

Postby Uschi » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:46 am

Alison, I am so sorry you had to go through all of this!!!

As for a possible trojan, you could try and restore your system to a point prior to this saga. It doesn't always get rid of malware, but sometimes one may be lucky. I certainly hope so!!!

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:14 pm

Thought I might just revive this thread.

Yesterday I answered the phone and a very faint voice - speaking English with an Asian accent asked to speak to Mrs B. The number was withheld so I was already suspicious. I asked, in French, who was calling - didn't say who I was and he replied in English that it was an urgent call from my computer support service and that Mrs B had a serious security problem on her computer and he needed to speak to her. Creepy

I don't know how good his French was/is but he got a good old mouthfull. Orange were not in the least bit interested and we felt it not serious enough to call the police. Did I do the right thing??

Postby Wokman » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:25 pm

Hi Joan,

when you say that it was an urgent call from my computer support service, did they mention the name of the company, and is Mrs B. the account holder ?

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:12 pm

Morning Wokman

Wokman wrote:Hi Joan,

when you say that it was an urgent call from my computer support service, did they mention the name of the company, and is Mrs B. the account holder ?

No and actually I am not the account holder. When I got my SIRET number to cover my self-employed status - I still do a bit of writing - I did start to get a whole lot of junk mail and phone calls, because the list is public. I started to send the mail back labelled (in French) unsolicited mail return to sender. They soon stopped!

Postby jeral » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:27 pm

Hi Joanbunting. I've had several of these calls (had one yesterday actually) and as I said earlier from people wanting to "protect you" and you are right just to say "Thank you. Goodbye."

Now, what you might not know is that from your IP number alone, many other details are available publicly on internet sites, so that much other info is available, e.g. the memory etc of your computer, what operating system you are using and various other details. Such info can be used to suggest that they are somehow connected to your service provider as if they wouldn't know those details otherwise. Trust me, anyone can find typical details about your computer.

Some are just trying to sell you software security, some are less scrupulous and want to scan your computer to find any passwords, bank details etc so to clone or otherwise misuse. It's actually better to keep a pencil and paper record of passwords.

So, on no account must you allow them access to your computer. They can only do this if you type in the code they give you to allow remote access. Clearly you must never give such access.

In Windows, there is an option whereby you can switch off remote access. The procedure (menu options) will vary according to which operating system you are using, so Google "Disable remote access" and you'll find directions for your operating system, e.g. which version of Windows.

Remote access is there in case someone works away from home a lot and wants to access their computer from another, or allows a remote engineer to talk you through a problem. If you don't need remote access, I'd switch it off full stop.

HTH

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:49 pm

He Jeral

Thanks for taking the time to reply. My remote access is disabled. M is very computer savvy and both computers have excellent security - he says ;)

If I get another call of a similar nature I will answer in French. I really get mad when peope take the **** though I suppose they do it because some people do respond and as a result they win.

PS I didn't just say "Thank you. Goodbye" I'm afraid :evil: :evil:

Postby jeral » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:10 pm

Good ho. My first question is "Who are you and want do you want?" I get all sorts, like "We work with the Government and you need to tell me the level of your debt." Okaaay. :roll:

And of course potential PPI claims, like "Our records show that you had a loan with xyz". Answer "No". "Well, our records show that you did." That type of call is that they can make a million (hyperbole) calls in a day and they'll strike lucky sooner or later.

The worst ones are not the Asian-type ones that you can scarcely hear but those speaking perfect English. I gather much research has shown that the man in the street likes best a friendly Newcastle accent incidentally ;)

Postby jeral » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:21 pm

Just had another one: "Is that...?" "Yes, who are you and what do you want?"
"I'm calling from Microsoft and your computer is in a dangerous state and you will lose everything within two days!"
"Thank you. Goodbye."

If I'm not here in two days' time, maybe they were right ;)

It's depressing that these "cold calls" try to prey on the gullible. Not sure one can stop them but can at least alert others to ignore them if they get such calls.

Postby Dena » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:28 am

I have difficulty (at the moment only) answering my land line, and I am really fed up with sales calls. Yesterday I actually answered (have been giggling about it ever since) with the words

"Good afternoon and a Happy Christmas UNLESS you are ????? or some other person trying to sell me something" There was absolute silence. Bliss.

Though saying that - how awful if that was the only job you could get. I shouldn't imagine these sales persons really enjoy their job.

Postby Dena » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:36 am

Another query Sakkarin. When I am on-line, it usually has the words "on line" on my avatar, but not always. Sometimes I am on line even though it says I'm not, if you see what I mean. Non sequitur - what.

Previous

Return to Chatterbox Archive