Register

Rain Stopped Play?

Christmas, Easter, Birthday, Hanukkah, Diwali and Ramadan chat.
Site Admin

Rain Stopped Play?

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:35 am

Looking forward to both the Murray Final (loved watching the "no-hopers" winning last night, giving us our first British Doubles Champion in 76 years) and the British Grand Prix (although I hope Alonso skids off and Hamilton bullies his way through), but I can't make up my mind which one to watch as they're both on at the same time :-(

And I wonder which one will be first to be stopped while it rains?

Perfect scenario: Rain at Silverstone synchronised with rain at Wimbledon, so by channel hopping between rain breaks I get to see all of both!

Re: Rain Stopped Play?

Postby Wokman » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:53 pm

How about putting a portable TV next to the main one :thumbsup
It's typical though to show 2 main events at the same time.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:25 pm

Hi all you rain watchers.

Don't know what is happening to F! but we have the added complication of Le Tour de France. So we have Le Tour on the computer and Wombledon on the main screen.

On the second point, I have just taken the champers out of the fridge. We are entertaining at 7.30 this evening but I don't think the champers will be flowing - Bradley Wiggins maintaining the yellow jersey is not enough !!

Postby jeral » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:19 pm

I reckon it's a good thing they put the roof over at Wimbledon as there have been intermittent but heavy showers here (not a million miles away) all day. Murray's a bit downcast at the moment but the match seems to be turning on a sixpence...

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:10 pm

Oh well, all ended as usual :-(

How awful to shove a microphone into Murray's hands just moments after he's lost the most important match of his life. They did exactly the same at the Formula 1 for the first time ever, interviewing them in public on the podium instead of behind the scenes when they've had a moment to draw breath.

The timings seemed to work anyway though, the tennis started a good hour after the F1, and the UK hopefuls had already disappeared into the distance by then (backwards, that is) leaving a good point to switch to watch Murray's first set.

Was nice to see Webber winning again, after his previous years in the shadow of Vettel. And also good to see Alonso upbeat despite losing, he's been a miserable sod in the past.

Postby Alison Wright » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:16 pm

He had a big hill to climb today, & I had a lump in my throat & a tear in my eye when Andy addressed & thanked the crowd for their support - & what a great crowd they were. The regard, warmth & respect they showed to Federer was superb - well done both men.

Food wise - the day was planned with precision at Wright Towers. We had brunch about 11ish, toasted muffin with poached egg & crispy bacon, Greek yoghurt & plum cinnamon compote (Nigella) & tea. I defrosted a few scones earlier & we had them with cream & strawberries when rain timely stopped play (and more tea!)

After the tears (sob!) we had crab salad sandwiches with a pot of good coffee & OH's fave Brie de Meaux & crackers. Not a minute of the match was missed, & we're raising a glass for Andy's comeback next year.

Postby Dena » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:42 am

I had planned my day around the Federer and Murray match. What a fantastic thing the roof on centre court is. I'm afraid I was rooting for Federer, I think Murrray has so much more time to become Wimbledon champion, not so Roger, wonderful for all the records. He is such a lovely gentle man. A brilliant match and Andy played so well, all those deuces - wow, edge of the seat stuff. Can't wait for the Olympic tennis.

I had a friends daughter come round to do a few jobs for me (she's saving up for something) and she watched tennis (for the first time) with me up until rain stopped play. She then went home and phoned me up after the match and said she was now a tennis fan :clap. First timee she had watched it. She is now coming to watch the Olympic tennis with me and we have a date for next year's Wimbledon and a strawberry and cream tea.

Return to Chatterbox Archive