Register

Freeview Channel 47

Christmas, Easter, Birthday, Hanukkah, Diwali and Ramadan chat.

Freeview Channel 47

Postby Alison Wright » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:50 am

Earlier in the week, I briefly recall another poster mentioning this channel (unknown to me) on another thread.

As I couldn't find it on my TV, I've since re-tuned three times now & it still hasn't appeared?

Any suggestions, or info on what channel 47 broadcasts - is it foodie?

Re: Freeview Channel 47

Postby Suelle » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:52 am

I don't think you're missing anything. 4seven is a kind of catch-up channel. It rebroadcasts popular C4 programmes shown quite recently (possibly only in the past 7 days) - things like Deal or No Deal, Come Dine With Me, Gordon Behind Bars, Coundown and Hollyoaks. If you have any kind of recording device, you probably don't need it.

It is broadcast on Freeview 47 - I'm surprised your TV doesn't pick it up on a retune!
The blog which does what it says on the tin:

http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Alison Wright » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:56 pm

Thanks Sue, you're right, I don't need it.

Just as an aside .......... lately I've been watching Food Network on Freeview 49 between 6pm-10pm. As from yesterday (Friday) it was supposed to be transmitting all day & night - but when I switched on a couple of hours ago the on-screen message was "back at 6PM"

I've just re-tuned again & there are 91 digital channels - but still no channel 47 or Food Network - so I'm now thinking there could be a problem with the TV - & it's just out of guarantee!

*Just wondering if anyone else can receive Food Network during the day?

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:03 pm

I'd wait till Monday brefor eyou panic - all the extra Olympic channels arrived this afternoon, and I thnk the download has meesed things up

Postby jeral » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:07 pm

I've been able to get 47 for about a week (which is roughly when it started).

Just switched TV on to see about 49 (Food) and yes, it's on. Perhaps it's to do with channels from your transmitter? Do you know which transmitter your programmes come from?

My tuner is really weird as for some things (if not always) you have to leave it on standby overnight (so not switched off at the wall socket as it updates/populates etc overnight. Have you tried leaving it on standby?

I doubt it's your TV by the way, it's what the box (integral or otherwise) is managing to find as a signal.

Postby Alison Wright » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:36 pm

Well, still no further forward with this.

Jerel, we're only eight miles from our transmitter so have a good strong signal & excellent reception & our TV is always left on standby - never switched off at the wall.

Last night I found a website who advised clearing out all the tuned-in programmes by unplugging TV from the wall - leaving for 30secs & reconnecting the power - then do an auto retune. Before I did a new retune - I checked & all the programmes were still installed & hadn't been cleared at all!

Using the remote control - the programme guide clearly shows Channel49 & gives details of all the Food Network's programmes from 6am to 3am.

Does anyone know how I can delete/clear all the tuned-in programmes to start again from scratch.

BTW, it's a digital TV - don't have a digi-box.

Postby crempog » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:33 am

Never turned off at the wall, eh?

Waste of electricity and fire hazard.

Postby jeral » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:12 pm

Hmm. Mine is a separate tuner box. It has the option of "Format" (i.e. reformat) or alternatively "Return to factory settings" after which one does a channel search. Don't know if you have anything like either of those? I'm sure you're on the right track though about clearing if the channel is showing up properly in the Guide. Any chance you can pop into a shop that sells at least your make of TV even if not your particular model and ask them?

Another thing about mine is patience - it seems to take ages to sort itself out when you press a button from Off (unplugged) or from standby, when confusingly it doesn't seem to be doing anything. If I interrupt it, thinking it hasn't recognised the remote, I'm effectively switching it on and off and it does the head in of the hard drive not knowing whether to start or stop I reckon. My sis reckons she could make a cup of tea by the time her (integral) TV springs to life completely.

I don't think that just unplugging it would be enough to reset it so perhaps need to go back to any instructions for retuning.

With regard to leaving plugged in on standby, modern TV's have quite a low usage in standby. I'm not aware of a fire risk unless either the house wiring might be faulty but should in any case have one of those 1-second cutout thingies attached to the fuse box, or if faulty manufacture like certain fridges recently which could catch fire at any time. Oh, and get smoke alarms of course ;)

Edit PS Most people use four or six-way socket extensions. The ones with a surge protector are recommended which are meant to prevent harm from spikes in the elec voltage received. It's always recommended that every single thing be unplugged if in a lightning strike area. Just adding for completeness.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:42 pm

Alison Wright wrote:Well, still no further forward with this.

Jerel, we're only eight miles from our transmitter so have a good strong signal & excellent reception & our TV is always left on standby - never switched off at the wall.

Last night I found a website who advised clearing out all the tuned-in programmes by unplugging TV from the wall - leaving for 30secs & reconnecting the power - then do an auto retune. Before I did a new retune - I checked & all the programmes were still installed & hadn't been cleared at all!

Using the remote control - the programme guide clearly shows Channel49 & gives details of all the Food Network's programmes from 6am to 3am.

Does anyone know how I can delete/clear all the tuned-in programmes to start again from scratch.

BTW, it's a digital TV - don't have a digi-box.

What make is it?

In most cases to do a forced retune press the Menu button and choose set-up, then retune or scan. It will ask you if you want to start over or not.

More detailed instructions here on Digital UK

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/how_do_i_switch/connections__and__retuning/retuning_instructions

Turning it off at the wall shouldn't rest it - it would be a rubbish TV if it did!

Postby Alison Wright » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:20 pm

Good link Sue - thankyou, but it didn't have the model number for our TV listed.

I've just found the long-lost instruction manual which has a phone number for the help-line, I'll ring them tomorrow.

I'm not planning to watch it 24/7, but thought it would be handy to have available if the olympic coverage or football dominates the air-waves, & in the winter months when I'm not out & about as much.

Postby jeral » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:55 pm

It came up on my TV just now about retuning for "red button" Olympics and gave this link: http://www.tvretune.co.uk/ Might help, or not, but it's free to access whereas helpline phone numbers are often £1-minute and wait ages, many minutes and might be kept on the phone as long as possible, so beware methinks.

Postby Alison Wright » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:00 pm

Well that's been a fruitless & expensive 34mins!

Rang the help-line & was 'eventually' told it was a transmitter 'issue' They gave me the phone number for Digital UK who control all transmitters in the UK.

After they checked, I was told that Food Network only broadcasts on Freeview49 between 6pm-10pm, if anyone watches it at any other time - they must be watching on Sky, Virgin or with a Free-sat box!

Channel 47 won't be available in my area until mid September when the switchover takes place - not that I'm waiting with bated breath for that.

Postby Alison Wright » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:07 pm

Oops where's me manners! :roll:

Meant to say thankyou for your offers to help! :P

Postby jeral » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:26 pm

Ah! On the bright side, at least you know it's not your telly or something you are doing or not doing; the other bright side is that "switchover" (assuming you have digital-capable equipment) is plain sailing, or was here. We had to retune once, then again about two weeks later once it was completed. Message pop-ups arrived on the screen daily so one is kept in the picture, so to speak.

Incidentally, the transmitter here, a major one, is very close indeed so I was worried about picture quality if "overpowered" (i.e. needing attenuation or aerial adjustment), but it's actually way better than it ever was on analogue - just like that! with no adjustment needed. I viewed a lot of websites beforehand saying that peeps "might" need new or different aerials (read cost shock horror), but we didn't. I logically decided to wait and see first and all was fine. Hope it will be for you also.

Return to Chatterbox Archive