Register

Does sun factor cream deteriorate?

Christmas, Easter, Birthday, Hanukkah, Diwali and Ramadan chat.

Does sun factor cream deteriorate?

Postby jeral » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:44 pm

I was asked if some lotion from last year would have retained its "factor prevention" potency. I couldn't see a "Use by" on it, which pills and medical creams have.

I don't suppose it would hurt to blather it on anyway as I guess it wouldn't be sold if harmful even if it had become ineffective or less effective.

Anyone have any thoughts please?

If no-one does, I'll have a scout around Australian websites later as they've done lots of research on skin cancer. My question could be moot actually as some trains of thought are that the rot has already set in if one ran around in the sun as a small child, so way too late for some of us anyway.

Probably the best thing would be just to ask the manufacture if no "history".

Ta.

Re: Does sun factor cream deteriorate?

Postby Suelle » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:31 pm

I was reading an article a few days ago which said that it does deteriorate, and shouldn't be kept more than a couple of years. I would still use last years cream - perhaps apply more often.
The blog which does what it says on the tin:

http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:18 am

It definitely deteriorates - though some deteriorate faster than others

If you only acquired it last year it should definitely have a BB date on it; more to the point it should have the symbol of an open jar, and the period you should use it up within once opened (proably 12 months)

Symbols on pacakages explained here

http://www.channel4.com/4beauty/make-up ... -they-mean

Postby jeral » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:29 pm

Many thanks both for the info, which I'll remember and of course also pass on to the enquirer who plays a lot of outdoor sport so very relevant.

I have a couple of voile overshirts to keep covered as my dad got skin cancer (for no obvious reason his not being an outdoor worker or sunbather) although one of my shirts wouldn't exactly be great for a male football player... :mrgreen:

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:07 pm

Jeral

Having spent 6 years in the tropics in my 20s at a time when sunscreen was unknown I am really really careful these days. I use loads and loads of sunscreen and cover arms, legs and head except when I am swimming of course.

I was furious some years ago when I took what I thought was a suspicious mole to a doctor in the UK and was told off for wasting his time - it was some sort of wart apparently. When I showed the same thing to our doctor here i was sent to have it removed, just in case and because it didn't look very nice!

I don't ever have sunscreen left over - i wish I had shares :D :D :D

Postby jeral » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:23 pm

I asked for a mole to be removed from near my armpit as it kept catching on my sleeveless blouses and I was worried I might "drag it off". The GP stuck a bit of plaster over it and sent me away :roll: I asked a different GP after moving house and he removed it no question and sent it for testing, fortunately benign. My dad got the sort on his back with long tap roots, luckily caught in time, but enough to put the wind up yer.

The thing these days is that radiation is said to be worse due to the ozone layer thinning or whatever, so a different ballgame now.

Return to Chatterbox Archive