Register

What to do in London

Christmas, Easter, Birthday, Hanukkah, Diwali and Ramadan chat.

What to do in London

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:05 am

Morning everyone.

It is absolutely years since we have been to London although I did live there in the early 60s and used to go to Guild of Foodwriters meetings and events until we moved here.

We have decided to go in early-mid October so M can do some family history research. We were going to be on a bit of a budget because of the cost of hotels these days but last night a friend offered the use of their flat in Kew, very near buses and station.

I am pretty sure which restaurants I want to go to but would love to know what those of you with current Knowledge would do if you had three days on your own and one with husband. We both love art exhibitions, theatre, especially opera and classical music concerts. I love shopping :D :D

Restaurant suggestions of course also welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Joan

Re: What to do in London

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:30 pm

Ah, I lived in Kew for over 10 years.
Your generous friend should also be a "Friend of Kew", with tickets allowing you free access to and through the gardens.

Guess what? The Hairy Bikers are at Richmond Theatre in October: http://www.visitrichmond.co.uk/thedms.a ... ddata=TRUE

It's a 20 minute walk from Kew to Richmond Theatre.

If you like the cinema, Joan. My favourite picture house is the Curzon Street one. The screen is massive, last time I went I sat right at the front with excitement, and the subtitled letters were as big as my head.
My eyes were so scratchy afterwards, I looked like I'd had a cornea peel.

And the Courtauld art gallery is a delight to visit.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:45 pm

Shouldn't this be in the main Food Chat section? I suspect it will get overlooked if hidden away here.

This place in Richmond might be of interest for a midday crepe if you are in Richmond anyway - although probably a bit of a busman's holiday if you are from France anyway, and I'm sure you have grander restaurants in mind for the main event!

http://www.chez-lindsay.co.uk/reviews_news.html

Much of my childhood was spent around the Kew/Richmond area, as my family's life revolved around their church which was in Richmond, and my mum grew up in Richmond. One of my mum's best friends from the church, who occasionally came to visit us, had three gorgeous daughters, the eldest being Lyndsey - Lyndsey Wotton of Chez Lyndsay! Doubt she would remember me though, as last time I saw her was around 40 years ago. It's funny, in the pic she looks just like her mum!

Postby Lou » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:49 pm

I would definitely be looking at Hampton court. It must be one of my favourite places on earth.

They are doing some good offers on theatre tickets at the minute on groupon/late rooms etc, probably trying to drum up some post Olympic enthusiasm, so there are probably some bargains to be had. The last thing I went to see was avenue Q< so I am useless for suggestions.

If you are there before the 21st August, there is an exhibition of the queen through the ages at the national portrait gallery which is supposed to be very good, I am quite upset I have not yet managed to see it myself.

If you have not seen the cabinet war museum, I consider it a must see.

Oh, apparently, a little known secret in London is that you can buy a ticket to access the roof terrace bar at the royal opera house for £5.

If I am on my own in London, I have a tendency to sit on my favourite bench outside parliament and see if I can spot anyone important.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:10 pm

First thing is to get transport sorted

You need some kind of Oystercard/travel card (a lot of buses etc do not take money now, you must have a pre-paid ticket) and you should be able to get a discount as you are a proper grown-up
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/default.aspx

To plan journeys use the on-line journey planner
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

You will be astounded how much it has changed since you were last here, try a river trip (even a river bus, see the same TfL web site above) or the London Eye for an over view of new London

To catch up on London food – Fortnum’s’ and the wonderful Paxton & Whitfield cheesemonger are close together, as is St James church on Piccadilly (lunchtime concerts) and the Royal Academy (Piccadilly/Jermyn Street); lots of nice lunch places round there; (I like the café on the top of the huge Waterstone’s bookshop in the old Simpson’s building next to St James, but the Japan centre is not far, and the theatres are close by) Waterstone’s also good for browsing books of course!
http://www.st-james-piccadilly.org/ConcertsIntro.html

We could always have a Foodies who lunch meet of coursem perhaps at Dishoom (unlike anything in France and very good and equally suitable for solo eating)

http://www.dishoom.com/

Postby Meena » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:41 pm

I too grew up in the surrounding area-Isleworth (my Mum still lives there) and we used to go to Kew Gardens quite regularly with a picnic of onion bhajis and alou prontay (chapatis stuffed with potato)!

Not sure if it would be too cold to go to Kew Gardens though.

Gill- thanks for the heads up about the Hairy Bikers, i may have to look into that!

I really like Borough Market, packed full of yummy food!

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:39 pm

Wow everyone, thanks!

I am still trying to wrap my head around going having spent two days with numerous assorted 4-12 year olds charging between this house and next door, making naans, cooking tandoori and tonight sausages with tabouleh made by them.

So hectic we all forgot to take pictures.

M has just told me he has booked a table at Le Gavroche for lunch. Result :clap :clap :clap :clap

After the weekend i can settle down and make some sensible adult type plans!!

Postby Linnet » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:53 pm

We usually take visitors who haven't been to London for some time on the Eye (and some who come regularly too!) Gives a wonderful view, but do choose your day if you can.

An alternative to Kew Gardens would be the RHS garden at Wisley, though not so easy of access if you don't have a car. (guess you will be flying?)

Postby cooksalot » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:29 am

If you love classical music see what's on at the Barbican or Royal Festival Hall - tickets are reasonably easily booked online.
Sometimes there are brilliant freebies in the RFH Foyer, and there is a nice bar there too to have a drink while you enjoy the music/ atmosphere. Also a chance for a walk by the Thames Embankment, and you are very close to the West End and Soho if you fancy a wander.
When we go to the Barbican we always visit Pizza Express nearby for a pre show dinner. I like their Chicken Caeser salad and a glass of white wine :thumbsup . We have enjoyed some wonderful concerts (mostly Shostakovitch) at the Barbican conducted by Vassily Gergiev.
Opera tickets for the Coliseum (rather than the VERY expensive Covent Garden Opera House) can be reasonable - have a google! It's a wonderful building just moments from Traflagar Square. Be warned though -all the operas are performed in English.

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:18 am

Linnet wrote:We usually take visitors who haven't been to London for some time on the Eye (and some who come regularly too!) Gives a wonderful view, but do choose your day if you can.

An alternative to Kew Gardens would be the RHS garden at Wisley, though not so easy of access if you don't have a car. (guess you will be flying?)

We have thought about the Eye though I am not very good with heights - we took the GCs on the York Eye a few years ago and I hung on and closed my eyes - much to their amusement.

We are coming by train - really good value for us because we have senior rail cards here and the discount goes through the tunnel!

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:24 am

Hi Cooksalot,

The last time I went to the ENO was with DD in the 90s we saw Butterfly, beautifully sung but somehow wrong in English. Actually I quite fancy some Gilbert and Sullivan for old times sake!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:35 am

Meena wrote:I too grew up in the surrounding area-Isleworth (my Mum still lives there) and we used to go to Kew Gardens quite regularly with a picnic of onion bhajis and alou prontay (chapatis stuffed with potato)!

Small world. We used to walk to Isleworth a lot, (I wish we had your picnic with us).
Especially if we went to Syon House - another place for you to visit if you aren't going into the London, Joan.
And beautiful Ham House along the river - both walkable.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:53 am

Morning Gill

I know Syon House well and Ham House too. I did teaching practice in that area and one of my tasks was to provide children's activity sheets etc for such places. I actually lived in Priory Lane near the Richmond Park gate. It would be good to revisit though.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:48 pm

I have just heard about this:

http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/exhibition ... ince-1950/

Sounds rather fun so I think I'll be giving it a go.

Postby Doug » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:54 pm

Hi Joan, how lovely to have a flat in Kew to stay in - should be beautiful
round there in October. The treetop walk in Kew Gardens is great -
a wooden structure which takes you (by lift) to a walkway high above the tree tops
to give awe-inspiring views over London. The Orchid House is also worth a trip.

The Glass House restaurant in the little Kew village by the station is a
michellin starred place serving very good food though the kind you would
be quite used to in France.

War Horse is absolutley wonderful, brilliant.

Have a lovely trip.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:01 pm

Hi Doug

Apologies. i thought I had posted a reply but i must have been having a senior moment :oops:

Thanks so much for the advice - Like the idea of the restaurant for our first night.

We have already booked War Horse and, as the Eurostar back home is at 9.00 am we have booked into a hotel at St Pancras for the last night.

A very excited son has just phoned from London - they live in Jersey - saying what a fantastic time they are having. They saw Stomp last night and were blown away and they say we simply have have have to go on the Eye.

Oh dear both families live very sheltered rural lives I fear. Rail tickets bought this morning and we are really looking forward to it.

Postby calabash » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:02 am

I love London, I was there on a business trip in 2010, I would love to have an actual holiday there so I wouldn't have to squeeze stuff I really like doing around work duties. Though work duties weren't so bad, they included the British Library (overwhelming) and House of Parliament (even more overwhelming).

For me, Selfridge's shoe salon is like every Christmas morning of my life rolled into one :D When I've got my shop on I don't stop to eat, so can't help with restaurants, collapsing in the hotel bar before ordering room service is all I did.

I love that London is all these little villages (not quite the word I'm looking for) that have merged and you can hop from one to the other with lots of amazing people watching and shopping.

In my fantasy London trip I would stay at Hotel 41, eat at Ottolenghi, it would be fig season (they're $3 EACH here) and have a black Amex card that someone else pays.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:31 pm

Just an update

Today I have pre-booked at Tate Britain for the Pre-Raphaelite exhibition - both of us being rather serious fans after years of being able to see the pictures in The Laing in Newcastle and in Cragside.

M told me at the weekend that he has booked for dinner at Le Gavroche - not lunch as he said, he wanted to surprise me but realised I might wish to know - too true :D :D I might even pack some heels now.

His sister is coming for the day to help him at the record office - so that leaves me to do my shopping unhampered.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:21 pm

Just back and I want to say thank you for all your suggestions/input.

Sue we dicovered that we could buy Oyster cards (M insists they are lobster cards) on Eurostar - so great for time/hassle saving. My only problem was that my excess of static prevented me from using it several times - hear M "Oh my god, not again "

We did do the Eye - grumbled at the queue and the shrieking Chinese tourists, but it was well worth it, especially because it was an unexpectedly lovely afternoon.

The Pre-Raphaelite exibition was amazing especially as one of the central pictures is Isabella and the Pot of Basil a picture I know and love from the Laing in Newcastle where I went for art classes every Saturday for two years when I was 11& 12. It was like meeting an old friend.

I was also able to see the Turner Prize entries as M was completely tied up trying to sort out the tangle that is the British Library.

Of the two theatre performances I saw, Warhorse (just me) was wonderful - Les Miserables (we admit never having seen it) was tired but crammed and the extreme recation at the end would have shamed La Scala on a good night!

Kew Gardens (which I do know) has to be for next time because our friends have said we may use the flat any time.

I have to say that afer so many years the pace of the place is a bit of a shock but I am glad to say I fell into the scene witnout too much trouble even though no-one seems ever to take their eyes from their gadgets. I also have to report that if I was left standing on the tube it was always a young woman who offered her seat.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:40 pm

Glad you had a good time

I've never fancied Les Mis, having had friends in the orchestra pit when it first opened; they got me a very nice freebie sweat shirt, and told me that was as near as I needed to get; they did all adore Michael Ball though - even more when he moved ot Phantom)

But I do fancy War Horse

I've noticed a lot of Taiwanese tourists around both London and the Loire chateaux this month - perhaps it is a periodic migration, very odd, there aren't usually so many, blam ethe weak Euro maybe?

If you come again, we'll try for that board meet maybe.

Next

Return to Chatterbox Archive