Register

Private Message Function

The place to make suggestions about the Board

Private Message Function

Postby Wokman » Sun May 13, 2012 12:23 pm

I have used this function several times, however once the message has been composed and submitted it just goes to my outbox despite telling me that the message has been sent.
If I then look in my sent messages box it is completely empty.
When I reply to a message that somebody has sent me there doesn't seem to be a problem, although that doesn't go to my sent message box either.

Is it just me?

Re: Private Message Function

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun May 13, 2012 3:55 pm

The message sits in your Outbox, until the recipient has read it, Wokman.
Happens on most of these styles of board.

I sent a pm to la Conchita ages ago, but have just deleted it from my Outbox as she hasn't logged on to read it..

I'll pop over to the Beeb and catch her on the POV board. ;)

Postby Wokman » Sun May 13, 2012 4:44 pm

Thanks Gill,

that at least explains that part of the riddle, I still can't figure out why my "sent messages" box is empty though.

Don't forget to say "Hi" to the folk on the POV board for me ;)

Postby efcliz » Mon May 14, 2012 10:04 am

Some people seem to be sending private message to everyone. While I'm secretly relishing the trouble this may cause, I wonder if there need to be some instructions about how to send just to one person?

Postby Suelle » Mon May 14, 2012 10:07 am

efcliz wrote:Some people seem to be sending private message to everyone. While I'm secretly relishing the trouble this may cause, I wonder if there need to be some instructions about how to send just to one person?

I've just started a new thread about this. As you say, if people are discussing other members there could be a lot of red faces! :o
The blog which does what it says on the tin:

http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon May 14, 2012 10:56 am

Wokman wrote:Don't forget to say "Hi" to the folk on the POV board for me ;)

Will do.
What name do you go by now on the Beeb .... is it Mr Popular?

Postby kavey » Mon May 14, 2012 5:00 pm

Suelle wrote:
efcliz wrote:Some people seem to be sending private message to everyone. While I'm secretly relishing the trouble this may cause, I wonder if there need to be some instructions about how to send just to one person?

I've just started a new thread about this. As you say, if people are discussing other members there could be a lot of red faces! :o

If you're talking about mum's message, she accidentally included "registered users" in her recipients list, that was a one off. Sakkarin has already disabled that option, so bar the replies a few people will send back to the same list, that shouldn't be an issue going forward.

Postby Doctor Yes » Mon May 14, 2012 7:18 pm

Question in my mind is why someone, anyone, would want or need to send a message like that as a private one instead of posting it on the board anyway. If everyone sends private messages instead of posting the main point of a message board is wasted. Isn't it?

Postby kavey » Mon May 14, 2012 10:59 pm

Because sometimes one is following up to someone on something that isn't related to this board. In this case, mum was letting AZCook know about a change she had made to a recipe on our site Mamta's Kitchen, in response to a post from AZCook, the topic wasn't relevant to others on the board, so a private message makes sense.
It's not about secrets, but about not cluttering up the board with messages between just a couple of people...

Postby Renée » Mon May 14, 2012 11:00 pm

I post on another board which has the same system, where messages remain in the Outbox until opened by the person that they're sent to.

Postby Mamta » Tue May 15, 2012 7:40 am

If you're talking about mum's message, she accidentally included "registered users" in her recipients list, that was a one off.

Thanks Kav, but it was not an accident, the words 'registered users' were not deletable from that box then. I tried several times. Since it was in lighter coloured ink, like it was in the background, I left it :-).
The new box now, where you can put name of people you want to copy to others, does not work, I tried this morning.
Hello Doctor Yes
As my daughter Kavey says, it was to avoid boring others with something which may have been of no interest to them. Also, there are times when people have to say something to each other which is private/totally irrelevant to others/boring/off the current topic, why should they not be able to address just that one person? Sometimes they exchange addresses or telephone numbers, hardly something that can be put on main MB! This was hardly everyone sending a private message! Message boards have always functioned very well alongside this facility and it is nice to have it.
I post on another board which has the same system, where messages remain in the Outbox until opened by the person that they're sent to.

Thanks Renee, it is nice to know. I was wondering why it was still sitting there after I had 'sent' it :? .

Postby Doctor Yes » Tue May 15, 2012 1:02 pm

I didn't say the PM system is bad or noone should use it. I said this message, ie the one you sent to everyone. It's about adapting a recipe, isn't that something people are always interested in? I thought so anyway.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed May 16, 2012 9:28 am

The naan bread adaptation is discussed on the Refugee Board itself on a thread.

And if you're proof reading the recipe together, it's far easier to do that part of it via private email or pm.
Mamta and I worked on a bread recipe that was shared on Wildfood.

But the recipe proof was done between us via several private emails.

Much tidier that way.

Return to Board Issues