Register

B***** Dog

Just testing

B***** Dog

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:30 pm

Hi gardeners

Our, usually very nice but irresponsible re animals, farmer neighbour has just bought a new hunting dog. The laws round here state that dogs must be on a leash if not contained - this one isn't!

This morning it went mad and tried to leap over our garden wall to get to just about all the local cats who were cowering in our garden - not our two who were fast asleep inside!!. In so doing the wretched animal knocked my favourite big pot off the wall and smashed it.

What would you do? An addition problem is that his sister, who also lives on the farm, is the secretary at the Marie so any hope of making a point there is out of the question.

Re: B***** Dog

Postby Suelle » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:14 pm

Send him the bill for a replacement with an accompanying letter of explanation, without any direct complaint about the dog being loose when it shouldn't be - I imagine a lot of country folk don't take much notice of those sort of laws.
The blog which does what it says on the tin:

http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby hungryhousewife » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:50 pm

Joanbunting wrote:What would you do?

Poor you Joan! I have to say though, in reality, I would probably do nothing, unless an opportunity presented itself during a friendly 'neighbourly' chat. If your 'nice, but irresponsible with animals' neighbour is anything like the 'local' French in Burgundy, he will probably take umbridge at a straight forward complaint.

Perhaps you could just casually mention it, but I would be reluctant to make waves with the locals! Especially if they are involved in the cogs of the local machine!

It might sound wimpy, but in reality that is what I would do.

HH

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:34 pm

Hi HH

No it doesn't sound wimpy - just prudent we think. However DD has come up with an idea that might just work. We get some of our wood from him so when he delivers the next load she suggests that we perhaps say "Will you take €xx off to pay for our big pot that Athos broke? " Yes that is the dog's name!!!

One has to live in any small hamlet to know the limits of what is and is not possible I think! we are still learning after 22 years.

All your thoughts most welcome!!

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:43 pm

I agree with Suelle & your daughter

Deal as well as possible with the specific issue of the broken pot, and hope he takes the hint on the wider issue (he won't)

"Our" French farmer's hunting dog was called Orca (she looked like an elk hound/rocking horse cross to me). Despite the scary name ("Killer Whale") she was a complete sweetie - just as well, since when she stood up and put her fore paws on my shoulders for a dance, she was a fair bit taller than me. She didn't pay any attention to cats, hens or goats, they'd been swarming over and around her ever since she was born, but let another dog come wihtin 1500 meters of our remote smallholding - and she went crazy mad. And chasing other dogs, may well be what dirves your neighbour to use a lead/chain/padlock. Hunting dogs chase!

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:33 pm

Thanks Sue

I think that is the way to go - this dog terrifies me, being a cat person!!

Postby hungryhousewife » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:26 am

I'm sure you will get it all sorted out amicably. I would hate to have a wild and uncontrollable cat-killing dog for a neighbour!

Good luck!

HH

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:17 am

Thanks for the thoughts. Sue we would have thought he might just keep Athos chained as he has lost several dogs to traffic, the last one was run over by Patricia the local police lady!

Postby Linnet » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:06 pm

Wonder what the outcome of that was!

French son-in-law's current hunting dog is quite a softie and cuddles up with their own cat, but sees 'trespassers' off the premises, though if the hens get out when she's around she thinks they're fair game!

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:54 pm

Hi Linnet

We never did find out :D :D, except that Athos appeared soon afterwards!

The same lad has a herd of goats that regularly make a break for freedom and devour the vegetation along the road, but they are quite herdable so we just ring him up and say we are walking then down the road and he takes over and returns them to thier field.

The best/worst time was when his wife decided to go into the poultry business about 8 years ago. The wretched hens used to escape at regular intervals and ruin everyone's gardens including our then neighbour - another farmer but with a beautiful garden. When I asked Annie how she coped she told me that there were half a dozen in her freezer right then she felt if they were in her garden they were hers. There was a rather spectacular row but both the hens and the wife disappeared.

Who ever said living in rural France was peaceful :D :D

Just remembered this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62387678@N ... hotostream

Return to Gardener's World Rescue Board