Register

Spring has sprung

Just testing

Spring has sprung

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:39 pm

It is that time of year again.

On Sunday Ahmed our lovely Morrocan helper turned up to tell us he would dig the potager over this week.

So into town we went today and, sure enough the first seed potatoes will be in next week - so we have order three varieties. The late ones will be planted by the GCs when they come in March.

How advanced are your plans for vegetable growing?

Re: Spring has sprung

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:21 pm

Not having a garden...

But you have reminded me, every year I plan to plant herb seeds indoors in March & forget, I'll try to get everything set up this weekend (at least check I have the right pots and order seeds if necessary)

Postby Happy Violas » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:01 pm

Seed potatoes are in their egg boxes chitting! :klingonbanana :klingonbanana :klingonbanana

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:53 pm

What varieties are you growing HV?

Postby Happy Violas » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:41 pm

Hi Joan, this year we're growing Kifli (early main crop), Foremost (first early) and Charlotte. The first 2 are blight tolerant as we always get some of that disease. All are from Thompson and Morgan. Last year for the first time we got them from elsewhere and had a terrible crop - the weather had something to do with it but I suspect the tubers weren't as good as from T&M so we've gone back to them. Fingers crossed for this year! :yum

Postby Wokman » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:39 am

I get potatoes coming up every year because I never manage to get them all out of the ground when I harvest them. Not sure what the quality will be like, but it's nice to have some home grown spuds in the summer.
I think most of them are Jersey Royals, so they have become Newport Royals now ;)

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:24 pm

Seven packets of herbs ordered from Chiltern Seeds!

Pots weeded and feeding of permanent plants started - seems early to me but the man on the TV said start this weekend, makes sese as things are beginning to shoot, which means the roots are active too

Postby Happy Violas » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:41 pm

Broad beans planted in toilet roll tubes! :crossed

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:40 pm

At last, after a week of rain the last lot of potatoes have been planted - with slave labour ;) ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62387678@N ... hotostream

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:55 pm

Herb seeds planted on Easter Sunday in pots, and put into attic under rooflight to sprout - just as well I didn't risk putting any outside as it snowed quite heavily yesterday, though it didn't settle for long

I think the snow may have killed my Moroccan mint, which has been outside fo several years - it was showing little red-bronze roseettes of baby leaves, but they have disappeared :(, will have to wait and see

Return to Gardener's World Rescue Board