Register

Hello Garden!!

Just testing

Hello Garden!!

Postby hungryhousewife » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:29 am

Wow! What a great feeling to be able to get a few jobs done in the garden at last!

I got the hedges trimmed - gosh what a difference it makes to the whole look of the garden. I had a burst of energy - spurred on by the smart looking hedges, and raked up all the trimmings then carted it all to the veg patch where I made a very successful bonfire. How cathartic after all this winter and greyness!!

As I raked up lots of the thatch from the beds I could see the fabulous bright blue of the Scillas - just about to burst out, and snow drops and yellow aconites! Hoorah! I'm so excited!

What have you seen in your gardens so far? Have you ventured out yet?

HH

Re: Hello Garden!!

Postby Mamta » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:09 am

I have started weeding my flower beds, then feeding the roses, then the hedge, then pressure washing paths and then the lawn. My lawn is covered in moss, thick moss :( . No matter what I do every year, moss just keeps coming back stronger. I have an electric moss remover, and get bags out twice a year, following a moss killer +feed each spring and autumn. It is aerated as well, when I can find someone to do it. I was told that builders put all there rubble under lawns when they finished building. May be that has something to do with it?

Postby hungryhousewife » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:23 pm

Wow! You've been busy Mamta!
What a pain about the moss. Hope you've enjoyed the fabulous sunshine today! My crocuses are open wide and almost shouting with glee!

HH

Postby Mamta » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:00 pm

I have only started, the list is of things to do. I wanted to do some more yesterday, but we had someone for lunch. I wanted to do some today, but we had to go out lunch time at short notice. May be I will ghet some done over the week-end, if the weather is right.

Postby hungryhousewife » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:44 pm

Someone said it's going to snow next week! :o :o I hope they were kidding, as my little plants won't be amused at all!

Don't work too hard Mamta! :limbobanana

HH

Postby Mamta » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:51 am

...as my little plants won't be amused at all!

Too early to put little plants out yet :!:

Postby hungryhousewife » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:40 pm

Yes, you are totally right - I'm not putting any bedding or anything like that out - I was thinking of my darling little crocuses who were basking in the sun on Tuesday, and the buds of other things which are peeking to see if its OK to come out.

I noticed the may blossom in the hedges is out after that burst of sun! Often hails a cold snap!

HH

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:56 pm

Oh yes it is good to see the signs of spring isn't it?

My balcony troughs are looking lovely with deep blue pansies and tête a tête daffodils.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62387678@N ... otostream/

DD's japonica is in full bloom and just down near the river the almond blossom is a mass of colour and scent.

Unfortunately it has chucked it down for the last few days so the jobs I need to do - vacuum up the leaves, pull the weeds out of DD's gravel front garden etc are on hold.

I especially love the little iris reticula and the wild white violets.

Come on sun!!!

Postby Renée » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:08 pm

Spectacular colours, Joan and is my favourite colour combination for this time of year.

Mamta, you've been working so hard! I have builders rubble, too, a very short way down underneath the soil. The Green Thumb man treats the lawn three or four times a year. As well as keeping the garden moss-free, the grass grows at an alarming rate! :D

Return to Gardener's World Rescue Board