Register

Digging the Crops

Just testing

Digging the Crops

Postby Global_Worming » Wed May 16, 2012 9:30 am

I can still dig spuds up and the joy of lifting the first hidden gold is only about 2 to 3 weeks away.
What is your favourite crop?

Re: Digging the Crops

Postby Suelle » Wed May 16, 2012 10:03 am

Runner beans - until I get fed up with them, because I've planted too many again!

They are one of the vegetables that I keep seasonal - I don't freeze them or buy imports at other times of the year.

Sadly, they are a long way off at the moment. The seeds in the cold frame have just germinated, and it's far too cold to even think of planting any straight into the soil.

Rhubarb is my favourite fruit (I know it's technically a vegetable), but even that has stopped growing in this cold weather.
The blog which does what it says on the tin:

http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Joanbunting » Wed May 16, 2012 11:47 am

Global_Worming wrote:I can still dig spuds up and the joy of lifting the first hidden gold is only about 2 to 3 weeks away.
What is your favourite crop?

Spuds for me too - M says the first will be ready this weekend. I love picking tomatoes warm in the sun then making a salad with them straight away and courgette flowers, with the dew still on them.

Postby Happy Violas » Thu May 17, 2012 8:27 pm

At the moment it's purple sprouting broccoli and rhubarb (ours is an unknown late variety and is growing madly at the moment). In a month it'll be broad beans and so on. Our potatoes went in very late so they'll be a while yet .... they are also all mixed up due to an 18th birthday party misdemeanour involving chitting tubers so when we dig them it'll be a surprise as to what we get :lol:

Postby Joanbunting » Fri May 18, 2012 2:03 pm

Yipee it is raining!!!

Both the potager and the flowers will be so happy. We haven't had any rain to talk of since we came home but lots of drying Mistral.

Down-side, two very unhappy cats - being true Provenceaux they detest anything other than warm sunshine.

Postby hungryhousewife » Fri May 18, 2012 9:39 pm

We've got really good leeks! They were planted out very late - end of Sept, or maybe even Oct - but they are great!
HH

Postby Joanbunting » Sat May 19, 2012 4:10 pm

Hi HH

My Dad and grandad were both champion leek growers (NE England of course)

Our first flat was kitted out with many of their prizes. Cousin John still keeps up the tradition. I tried leeks here but, while they were OK they were a lot of trouble.

We decided after the first year with the potager that we would only grow things that are a) best picked fresh and used immediately and b) things that are expensive to buy. Have to say it is working mostly. I just wish we could grow rhubarb - anyone got any ideas?

Postby hungryhousewife » Sat May 19, 2012 4:24 pm

Hi Joan - Rhubarb is a fussy one. I would say dig in a load of really good muck, as it's hungry, and doesn't like to dry out. Probably plant it on an East or West facing wall - although I see you don't really have a wall - thing is, I don't think they like it too dry - maybe you have somewhere cool and not so parched? :roll: Not sure. Do any of your neighbours grow it with success?

HH

Postby Suelle » Sat May 19, 2012 4:48 pm

Rhubarb grows best after a really cold winter, so Provence might not be the best place to expect good results, I'm afraid.
The blog which does what it says on the tin:

http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Joanbunting » Sat May 19, 2012 5:14 pm

hungryhousewife wrote:Hi Joan - Rhubarb is a fussy one. I would say dig in a load of really good muck, as it's hungry, and doesn't like to dry out. Probably plant it on an East or West facing wall - although I see you don't really have a wall - thing is, I don't think they like it too dry - maybe you have somewhere cool and not so parched? :roll: Not sure. Do any of your neighbours grow it with success?

HH

We actually do have a West facing wall - next to the well. Have loads and loads of compost but maybe much would be better? Trouble is it does get really hot in that garden in the summer -I did wonder about growing it in a big tub outside the back of the house - North facing and we do get frost!!

I honestly don't think any of our neighbours know what rhubarb is :D

Postby hungryhousewife » Sat May 19, 2012 6:05 pm

I think I would dig in loads of muck, plant and then heavily mulch to keep the moisture in. I would have thought by a well would be good, or possibly on the North side of the house - mine got pretty much frozen this winter, and I didn't even cover it with straw, although I probably should have done. When you think about it, the rhubarb forced inside in the UK doesn't get any sun, so being on the North side shouldn't bother rhubarb from that point of view.

It's probably worth a try - can you get rhubarb plants there?

You might start a craze!!
HH

Postby Joanbunting » Sat May 19, 2012 6:21 pm

Thanks and yes they are available!

Why not give it a go??

Postby hungryhousewife » Sun May 20, 2012 3:56 pm

I look forward to hearing how it goes!

I was given a new crown by a friend last year, and had been blaming my MIL for digging it up (she is rather prone to taking 'little snickings' from my garden!!), but have now had to say sorry for all the awful thoughts I had - it popped up a few weeks ago, and is looking very happy. I think, as it is such an energetic grower, you are supposed to let them just grow for the first year. Have you heard this, or am I making it up??

HH

Postby Joanbunting » Sun May 20, 2012 4:42 pm

hungryhousewife wrote:I look forward to hearing how it goes!

I was given a new crown by a friend last year, and had been blaming my MIL for digging it up (she is rather prone to taking 'little snickings' from my garden!!), but have now had to say sorry for all the awful thoughts I had - it popped up a few weeks ago, and is looking very happy. I think, as it is such an energetic grower, you are supposed to let them just grow for the first year. Have you heard this, or am I making it up??

HH

Hi HH

Yes I knew that but the crown vanished long before the first year!!

Return to Gardener's World Rescue Board