Register

Anyone going to Chelsea?

Just testing

Anyone going to Chelsea?

Postby Joanbunting » Mon May 21, 2012 3:37 pm

I have only been once and then it was in the days when you could actually get in without booking months ahead.

I watched a bit on the tele at lunch-time and i really rather liked the pyramid. I also have to admit to planting my pots around the house with red white and blue - and I really am not all that patriotic. It just seemed right. French neighbours, of course, think I am being equally patriotic so win-win :clap :clap

Re: Anyone going to Chelsea?

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon May 21, 2012 4:17 pm

I used to go every year, but regular RHS members no longer get tickets included in the subscription, there is a scramble for very expensive tickets, and the place heaves

I do miss it a bit

Postby Wokman » Mon May 21, 2012 8:39 pm

I have never been there, but I would love to go.
I have been to the flower shows in Holland a few times when I lived there and I love to see what the potentials are even for a small garden.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue May 22, 2012 1:52 pm

Hi Wokman

When I lived in NE England I used to go to the big annual flowershow at Gateshead. As you say, even if you are not the best/keenest gardener in the world they do encourage and inspire you.

Back to Chelsea,I was a bit puzzled at the rationale of having Tracy Chevalier sitting in a garden shed writing, as described yesterday. Perhaps i missed the point?

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue May 22, 2012 3:04 pm

Ms Chevalier is a gimmick Joan

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/chelseaflowershow/9196413/Tracy-Chevalier-on-display-at-Chelsea-Flower-Show.html

She just seems to be "pure" PR - a lot of the stray celeb tie-ins are at least for charity (e.g. Ricky Gervais appearance for school's gardening, though he did look as if he was genuinely enjoying it at least)

I must get around to Chelsea Physic Garden this year, I'm ashamed to say I have never been. And the Tradescant gardens at Lambeth Palace....

Postby Joanbunting » Tue May 22, 2012 4:40 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Ms Chevalier is a gimmick Joan

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/chelseaflowershow/9196413/Tracy-Chevalier-on-display-at-Chelsea-Flower-Show.html

She just seems to be "pure" PR - a lot of the stray celeb tie-ins are at least for charity (e.g. Ricky Gervais appearance for school's gardening, though he did look as if he was genuinely enjoying it at least)

I must get around to Chelsea Physic Garden this year, I'm ashamed to say I have never been. And the Tradescant gardens at Lambeth Palace....

Hi Sue

I had good reason to be puzzled then :D

I thought Ricky was rather good and yes he was enjoying it at least.

If you are ever down this way there is a Roman garden at Caumont which is said to be most interesting but, like you and the Chelsea Physic ( which I have been to ;) ), we have never been.

Postby Global_Worming » Wed May 23, 2012 9:24 am

JB I have not been for yrs its just to much of a slep.We do go to RHS Tatton with my kid brother as guide, he has won a number of medals there including a gold and he still has to pay.
The good thing about Tatton is the grounds are vast so if the weather is good a picnic is the order of the day. :thumbsup

Return to Gardener's World Rescue Board