Register

How to tame a Rosa Banksiea.

Just testing

How to tame a Rosa Banksiea.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri May 25, 2012 2:09 pm

Between DD's garden and ours there is an old wall - quite high.

Some years ago we planted a rosa banksiea (sp?) on our side. It is wonderful when it flowers but afterwards it goes mad and M and I have spent this morning trying to prevent it from taking over the hameau and from smothering the wisteria DD has planted to grow at right angles on her side. I fear not too successfully :(

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Re: How to tame a Rosa Banksiea.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 25, 2012 2:29 pm

Banksiae apparently Joan

This is a reliable site, IMO, and says trim as hard as you like when the flowers drop

http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/rosa-banksia-lutea-298/

That's waht I remember my Dad doing with it - and he was a memeber of the Rose Society with over 300 plants!

If you can get hold of a power hedge trimmer to cut back the worst, do (seriously) but be careful not to catch the wall with it, obviously

Postby Joanbunting » Fri May 25, 2012 2:32 pm

Hi Sue

Thanks - we do have a chain saw - but I suspect M may not be too happy balanced on the wall with it!!

Here he is;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62387678@N ... 889868600/

Would hate to loose it because it is so lovely and so fragrant.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun May 27, 2012 8:54 pm

Tomorrow is the day!!

M vows to go up there and talk to said rose seriously and to deal with it accordingly

Just goes to show that one should always take decisive action when necessary - just as S-I-L, the colonel ,would say :D :D :D - especially as said rose is trespassing on their garden !!!

Will attempt to record the event :D

Postby jeral » Mon May 28, 2012 10:42 pm

Dunno if this helps or not, but when I wanted to paint some upstairs windows off a very tall ladder, I was told I should tie a rope around me and that around a newel post in case the ladder went adrift. As he told me after the event It was too late, but the ladder did slip when I overreached. I'd hate to have had a power tool in my hand.

I'm not sure about the tying bit given it isn't a "safe harness" so would probably have sliced me if I had swung from it... What I'm saying is that I was rather cavalier (in retrospect) about both overreaching and overestimating the V effect of balance.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue May 29, 2012 10:58 am

Morning Jeral

Don't know if to thank you or not :lol:

Postby jeral » Tue May 29, 2012 2:05 pm

Well, you can thank me for the not over-reaching tip. You don't know you are until you suddenly "go". Using long-handle tree secateurs from a pair of steps is also a bit dodgy, as they are quite heavy so can upset one's weight distribution.

Hopefully, M has asked you to be in attendance in case you need to hold the ladder/steps to increase stability, plus you should feel any "pull" (wobble) and can advise M.

You really don't need to thank me for turning you into the scaredy cat I am these days :mrgreen:

Postby Joanbunting » Tue May 29, 2012 2:21 pm

Actually Jeral I solved the prob a few minutes ago. Our young nex-door neighbour who is a gardener by training but now a saffron grower has offered to do it for us. Phew I may have a husband for a few more years :clap :clap.

Postby jeral » Tue May 29, 2012 2:40 pm

Phew! I'd have been worrying all day, so thanks for telling me :thumbsup

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:44 pm

Happy to report that neighbour has just been round and dealt with offending rosa and the ivy. When we asked how much we owed him he asked if i could make an extra cake for the village picnic next Sunday as his wife wouldn't have time. So good to be in such a place :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby jeral » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:59 pm

:) Maybe some rose water Turkish Delight as well?

I hope he gave the bush a stern talking to - well if melodic music helps plants grow, strong speaking might put the fear of God into them :evil:

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:54 pm

Having watched our neighbour trim our high wall I think we have the answer - but it should, i think, go on another threead.

Return to Gardener's World Rescue Board