Register

Pigeons - grrrrrrr

Just testing

Pigeons - grrrrrrr

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:04 pm

There is one remaining pigeoniere in the hameau. At one time almost every larger house had one. The last one is at the farm - but they don't actually use the pigeons as food as everyone else once did.

We now have far too many of the pesky birds who perch on half opened-shutters, have made a nest in a careless persons bedroom - she never shuts the window - and poop everywhere especially on our balcony.

Does anyone know how to deter them - other than with a shot gun? We spend hours scrubbing the tiles and balcony furniture and I'm getting a bit sick of it.

Re: Pigeons - grrrrrrr

Postby jeral » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:32 pm

You could investigate whether any of the sonic sort might work without interfering with other wildlife undesirably. I know there is such a one for birds as they use them in (well outside to be precise) some factories.

I assume you've tried things like spinning windmills or the other thing that works of stringing silver CD discs around which flutter the light like mirrors. At one time there was always a free CD with almost every magazine or Sunday paper which came in handy for that.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:08 pm

Hi Jeral

I am afraid the windmill thing is not possible - they roost on the shutters and gutters at the top of the house - 3 storeys high !! Because we like our shutters on the latch at night in summer they provides a possible roosting spot directly above the balcony/terrace.

M said he thought he had heard about something you can paint on - but we can't find it on google

Postby jeral » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:01 pm

The only such paints I know of are described as anti-climb or anti-vandal as used for sheds and some railings. You could see what Google brings up for those, although birds do have claw-hammer toes which vandals don't. Also if it frightens them on landing, there's a fair chance that that could have an effect you're trying to avoid...

Postby hypercharleyfarley » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:38 am

Hi Joan - there are deterrents you can buy - better than using the sort of paint that's supposed to deter burglars (it never dries, or so they say! & I think people used to use it on cast-iron downspouts etc which would-be burglars might try to climb in order to gain access to property).

If you google using something like "pigeons metal spike deterrent" you'll find lots of sites offering such things for sale. Don't know whether you can get them in France though.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:45 pm

Hi

Thought I might have found a solution - woke up early this morning without the usual noise of pigeons doing clog dances on the metal guttering or making their silly noises. Reason? The cat had decided to sleep on the window ledge :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unfortunately in hot weather we have to close the windows during the day to keep the house cool so said cat can't get on there.

Postby Limaoemportuguese » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:03 pm

Sorry a rather silly reply, but you should get a dog like ours called Millie, she barks at them,in the end I think they have given up coming into or near our garden. :) :wave

Postby Global_Worming » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:06 am

JB as you have identified the source use this sort of thing for the long term.http://ovocontrol.com/ovocontrol-p/

JB never use a large gauge shotgun on field pigeons as it makes a mess, if they look healthy they will eat well.
I get big fat wood pigeons raping my plants, within 50 mtre they die and are eaten.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:13 am

Hi G_W

Food for thought - thanks. I would be a very worried about harming the other birds but I was wondering about putting small amounts on window ledges etc.

We are very fortunate to have some fabulous birds round here, from eagles and vultures to nightingales, golden oriols and hoopoes.

When our lovely old neighbour kept pigeons they were destined for the pot and she used to give us squabs but the folk at the farm don't eat or cull their pigeons and they are not exactly environmentally aware though they are lovely people. Mind, they do a nice line in kid!

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:10 pm

All of a sudden I seem to have found the answer - though perhaps not too practical. I read today about the falcon that keeps pigeons away from Wimbledon that was stolen and then heard about the one that keeps them away from the new Broadcasting House. First catch your falcon then go on a falconary course - or vice versa :D :D
Last edited by Joanbunting on Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Wokman » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:19 pm

There is an alternative Joan, how about this?

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... IABEPMCMAQ

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:53 pm

Wokman you are a genius - I have ordered one. If it works I'll order another for DD's house! Will be a bit of a feature too.

We bought M-I-L a fake heron for her garden pond!

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:15 am

Sorry to report that the imitation falcon does not work. I wish I had had my camera to catch one of the wretched birds sitting on its head and then knocking it off the window ledge.

I shall not be buying another :x :x

Any other ideas gratefully accepted.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:23 am

I have to say, I don't see how a sitting falcon would scare pigeon - surely it is the outline of a flying raptor, silhouetted against eh sky that scares them?

Farmers and groundsmen use falcon shaped kites to scare pigeons

Postby Tatihou » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:24 pm

Taking pot shots at a pigeon sitting on the balcony would seem to be fraught with possibilities... the possibility that you'll shoot a neighbour, scare a neighbour, shoot the cat... and anyway, in France you can own a gun (some varieties) without a licence but you cannot shoot anything (even a rat) without taking the chasse exam.

Pigeon spikes, Joan?

http://www.pigeonstop.co.uk/

I think a silhouette would work, SSue. Especially if it is suspended above the balcony on a (strong) string or nylon fishing line so that it moves in the breeze.

Altrnatively, Joan, could you run some string - one or two lengths - above where they usually perch as this would prevent them landing on the perching place?

Postby Wokman » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:22 pm

Joanbunting wrote:Sorry to report that the imitation falcon does not work. I wish I had had my camera to catch one of the wretched birds sitting on its head and then knocking it off the window ledge.

I shall not be buying another :x :x

Any other ideas gratefully accepted.

I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work Joan, it looked so convincing that I thought it might scare the pigeons for good.

Postby Global_Worming » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:58 am

Your lucky JB, the pheasants are now doing a Hitchcock in Ciovo near Split.
http://www.slobodnadalmacija.hr/Dalmaci ... fault.aspx

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:46 am

Morning all

Very happy to report that the cats have managed to catch 4 in the last three days - the wretched birds are getting so cocky they have taken to walking along the road :evil: :evil:

Only 3 ;) 00 left to go

Return to Gardener's World Rescue Board