Register

Orchids

Just testing

Orchids

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:57 am

I love orchids but although I can get most flowering plants to thrive I seem to kill them off after two or three months.

I know they should be watered once a week but how much? Should I use orchid food ?

I have just been given another and I am determined that this one will live!

Re: Orchids

Postby Happy Violas » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:54 pm

Hiya, it depends on the type of orchid you have but for the common moth orchids you need to water regularly but let it drain out of the bottom of the pot before putting back on the saucer. They don't like their roots in water. Standing the pots on gravel which is damp is fine though as they like the humidity. I use orchid food occasionally but they don't like a lot of food. Hope this helps.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:54 am

Joanbunting wrote:I know they should be watered once a week but how much? Should I use orchid food ?

I have just been given another and I am determined that this one will live!

Depends on the type of orchid,

Once a week sound too often to me do it by feel, let the compost almost dry

As HV says, don't let them stand i water, and some do better of the light can get to the roots, which is why they come in those rather tacky translucent pots, you can stand them in a cache pot, but make sure it is a bit over sized sp the light still gets in

Follow the instructions on the packet for the orchid feed

I think orchids bought in flower have sometimes been forced, and aren’t really intended to flower again (though my Dad could keep them going for years, he had the knack) – in my experience what hey like is benign neglect!

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:00 pm

Hi Sue

Thank you. I have come to the same conclusion I think - I have managed to keep one plant going - with light, as you suggest to the roots. Obvious really when you think how they grow in the wild. I continue my quest!

Postby hungryhousewife » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:33 am

Last year, after having had two of those Phalanopsis (I think) orchids given to me, and they flowered their socks off. Then they looked like they were going to die, after several months of being 'dormant'. I thought the same as you Joan, and stuck them outside by the back door, to go to the dump.

About a month or so later, I noticed that they were looking fairly perky and had chucked out new flower spikes! I brought them in and apologised for treating them so appallingly, and they duly flowered and have been for the last 3 months or so!! Perhaps they just like a bit of rough treatment!!

HH

Return to Gardener's World Rescue Board