Register

When do tomatoes

How to curb your cravings and stay away from the ice cream!

Re: When do tomatoes

Postby Frillz » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:38 pm

I absolutely adore tinned tomatoes - wouldn't be without them.
They've got so much better as well since the introduction of the thick juices rather than some of the watery offerings of old.

Lidl often have fantastic tinned tomatoes at really good prices.

Back to the original post - my neighbour works really hard in the garden and has all the kit - greenhouse, fruit cages and all that. She has to be very vigilant against squirrels, rabbits, birds and mice though, it's a labour of love for sure.

Last year she said to help ourselves to anything we wanted while they were away on holiday.
The ubiquitous courgettes of course and also tomatoes. There were a few varieties including some Heirloom types and they were very welcome, delicious infact.
Longtime lapsed BBC Food Board contributer

Postby hungryhousewife » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:18 pm

Have you tried the tinned cherry toms? they are amazingly delicious!
HH

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:37 am

I tired the cherry toms - I couldn't get on with the skins

Are some of the peeled?

Postby hungryhousewife » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:26 pm

I'm not sure about peeled tinned cherry toms - I just remember being astonished at their flavour when my mum pulled out a tin at Easter. We put them in a cassoulet sort of thing, which was slow cooked for an age - so perhaps the skins disintegrated, as I don't remember being aware of them. I will see if Mum can remember which brand it was. It wasn't one I had seen before and I think it had a name with 'sun' something in it??
HH

Postby Joanbunting » Wed May 02, 2012 3:58 pm

We grow loads of tomatoes - M will be planting them at the weekend.

I too find that raw tomatoes don't agree with my arthritis, especially in my fingers but I also heard about the turmeric thing and now add a little to dressings. I love tomatoes so much that I almost think I would prefer to suffer than not eat a salad of them picked warm in the sun and then dressed simply with basil and really good olive oil and lots of sea salt. Summers would not be the same without.

I also make litres of tomato sauce to store for the winter - just used my last jar from 2011 at the weekend.

Postby Nigeepoo » Thu May 03, 2012 4:35 am

Lycopene is fat-soluble, so cook tomatoes in a little olive oil to soak up the lycopene.

The curcumin in Turmeric isn't just anti-inflammatory - it's good for the brain, too. See Look after your brain.

Vitamin D3 & omega-3 fats are also anti-inflammatory as well as being good for the brain.

Postby Renée » Thu May 03, 2012 5:27 pm

Thanks for the information about cooking tomatoes in a little olive oil, Nigel.

I've tried the little cherry tomatoes in a tin and love the flavour of them. Sometimes I add some sun-dried tomato paste to tinned tomatoes, which seems to give more depth of flavour.

Postby Mamta » Wed May 09, 2012 4:48 pm

The curcumin in Turmeric isn't just anti-inflammatory - it's good for the brain, too.

So how come my brain works less and less every day even when I have been eating turmeric every single day of my life, almost :cry: !! Only kidding!! :lol:
May be it would be worse now if I hadn't been eating it every day!

Previous

Return to Healthy Eating