Register

low fat low carb

How to curb your cravings and stay away from the ice cream!

low fat low carb

Postby tizmelouise » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:46 pm

Hi. I generally try to eat low fat low carb when trying to shift a few pounds ? Anyone else? I thought we could share meal ideas?

Re: low fat low carb

Postby Lou » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:41 pm

In my vain attempt to get "beach fit" I will be trying something similar Louise,

I find that chicken, carrots and brocolli cooked in a tomatoe based sauce works well, and if you fill it with veg you do not miss the carbs so much.

I just found this great snack idea: http://www.domesticsluttery.com/2012/04 ... ppers.html

Postby Renée » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:00 pm

What a great recipe! Thanks. I'll get a cauliflower tomorrow.

I joined a Slimming World group and have lost about 20 lbs. Although I can have potatoes, pasta and rice, it's very low fat, so I'll use the spray-light on the cauliflower.

Postby tizmelouise » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:05 pm

ooo that looks fab! I use cauliflower puree in place of mashed potatoes a lot and its devine - this is how I do it, just simmer cauliflower in skimmed milk with white pepper and a clove of garlic until really tender, then blitz with a hand blender and add salt to taste. A tiny knob of butter in with the milk is nace too. It tastes like you are eating something really rich and creamy - yet you're not!

If you try it let me know!

Postby hungryhousewife » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:23 pm

There's a good book out at the mo called Skinny Meals in Heels by Jennifer Joyce. It is full of delicious recipes that are not too heavy on the waistline. Quite a lot of Asian influenced - naturally low fat and light meals.
I think its great, as the recipes are healthy but one doesn't feel deprived! 8-)
HH

Postby Renée » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:35 pm

I do think that the secret to losing weight is not to feel deprived.

I will definitely try the cauliflower purée. I'll probably use half of it for the purée and the other half for the snack recipe.

Postby Nigeepoo » Tue May 01, 2012 10:46 am

Hi everyone. I finally signed-up here.

Renée has the right idea. You can't fool your body by feeding it low-calorie stuff that doesn't satisfy its needs. You feel deprived & hungry and you may end up over-eating, sometimes on high-calorie moreish treat foods that are meant to be eaten as treats, not as staple foods.

Stick to natural foods, cooked well. Don't fear natural fats or natural carbohydrates. Manufactured ones - blech!

Postby tulip » Tue May 01, 2012 12:28 pm

Will definitely try both of the cauliflower recipes and that cook book sounds good too. Will look it up on Amazon. I have also been to slimming world and lost about 17 pounds. The only thing I can't get away with is the spray light and I notace it has been damaging my frying pans. When I read the instructions it said not to use low fat sprays, I'm now using the smallest amount of oil to grease the pan.

Postby tulip » Tue May 01, 2012 12:48 pm

just been on amazon and order the skinny meals in heels book. What I need now is a book on how to get my focus back, I've been a bit off track recently!

Postby hungryhousewife » Tue May 01, 2012 10:19 pm

I hope you like it Tulip. I thinks its just really nice food, that happens to not be fattening.

Best tip for me was - eat three proper meals a day and stop picking in between.

HH

Postby auntisue » Tue May 01, 2012 11:39 pm

Its portion size thats important, I go to WW but do yo yo with my weight, at the mo am trying to cut out the naughties, reduce butter, sweets. I found that eating eggs for breakfast no bread, home made soup for lunch, no bread and something small for evening meal, plus increase of exercise generally shifts a lot fo weight
PS thanks to Sakkarin you have helped a lot of people

Postby Lou » Wed May 02, 2012 3:22 pm

I know this is extremely pedantic, but I have started to weigh out the carb portion of my evening meal (perticularly pasta), it is so easy to get much more than portion onto your plate.
I had no idea how much I was previously eating, and so underestimating the number of calories consumed.

I do not weigh out everything (who has the time?) but by weighing the main carb it is easier to get everyhting else into perspective.

Postby ordinarygull » Wed May 02, 2012 4:16 pm

I've just recieved a £10 amazon voucher, so have also ordered that book. I've gone way off track as can be witnessed by my lack of blog updates recently - I'm too embarassed to post photos of recent meals!
Looking forward to it arriving and having another go, my weight is getting beyond a joke now!!

Postby tizmelouise » Wed May 02, 2012 7:36 pm

I too think homemade soups are an absolute life saver on a diet - they can be so filling and yummy yet low cal - and its a proven scientific fact that if you blend the protein into the soup you will stay fuller for longer - I lost 5 stone some years back (and kept 4 off) and for that I credit my homemade pea and ham soup and my chicken and vegtable one - neither are pretty or something i'd serve to others but they are sooo good for losing weight!

I've got the minimum of half a stone to lose before my wedding, doesn't sound much in the great scheme of things but i love food so much its hard. another secret I think is to always have one meal a week when you can have exactly what you want - helps keep you on track and helps you're body to not go into 'starvation mode'!!

Postby tulip » Wed May 02, 2012 7:53 pm

Well my book arrived today and has some wonderful recipes in and it's so colourful and modern I feel like dancing around the kitchen!..and I'm an old bird. Tonight my husband cooked and did the fish tray bake with fennel, we had river cobbler which I love. It was delicious but I suspect he added more than a tablespoon of oil 'cos I know he always does, that's why his food is so much tastier than mine. I think this is a book I will use a lot.

Postby AZCook » Wed May 02, 2012 8:09 pm

Really good to see you here, Nigepoo.

My first thing to cut down on when trying to shed some lbs is starchy carbs - easiest thing to cut out of my regular diet and most efficacious, too, I find. I cut out all refined flour and sugars - so no white bread, white flour, white pasta, white rice etc, but eat a little whole grain food infrequently - I think it's bad to cut out a whole food group entirely and can send the wrong signals to the metabolism. Good fats and oils are the worst thing to try and cut out of a diet IMO.

I totally cut out all doctored fats years ago from the food in house.

Postby hungryhousewife » Thu May 03, 2012 8:52 pm

Tulip, I'm so glad you like the book! I think its really good and you won't even think you are depriving yourself of anything at all.

Another really good tip I gleaned from the French Women Don't Get Fat Cookbook, is the yoghurt, honey, flax oil and oatbran mixture for breakfast - not only do all the ingredients do your system good, it really is a satisfying breakfast and stops me feeling hungry till proper lunchtime.

HH

Postby tulip » Fri May 04, 2012 1:26 pm

Thank you HH. When you say oatbran mixture do you mean porridge oats? Sorry if this is a silly question!

Postby hungryhousewife » Fri May 04, 2012 2:45 pm

No, its actually Oat bran I think mine is by Morn Flake, and I bought it in Waitrose - but have seen in other supermarkets - possibly Tesco. It is in an orangy-brown packet about the size and shape as a bag of flour.
It gives the yoghurt a bit of texture, but also is apparently v good at mopping up cholesterol. You mustn't have more than about 2 tablespoons a day though, as it can deplete you of iron, I think - I'm not an expert, but I think that's what I read.

Another friend of mine's father was told to put it in his daily muffins, as he had had a stroke.

HH

Postby Renée » Fri May 04, 2012 3:51 pm

I like the idea of mixing oatbran with yoghurt. I already sprinkle it on my syrup-flavoured Oats So Simple :oops: in the morning, along with ground up linseeds, wheatgerm, chopped prunes and apricots ... oh and a grated apple.I get my oatbran from Holland & Barrett, but it is available in most supermarkets.

Next

Return to Healthy Eating