Register

Food for a stomach bug

How to curb your cravings and stay away from the ice cream!

Food for a stomach bug

Postby sueturnersmith » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:42 pm

My OH has a nasty dose of the 'runs', and I have encouraged him to stop eating for a few hours, but to drink lots of fluids.

What would be the best food to give him when he slowly starts eating again?

Re: Food for a stomach bug

Postby Tatihou » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:00 pm

Imodium?! ;)

Actually, I'm not a fan of taking anti-diarhoea stuff initially because I think if there's something wrong, the runs is at least part of the body's attempt to rectify the problem. But I would take something after the first day or two. However, I am not a doctor.

Doctors do recommend full-fat Coca-Cola as part of the fluid intake and depending on what appeals to your OH, small but regular helpings of things like eggs, bread, rice, light soups (not with cream or lots of veg), plainish baked potato...

Hope he's recovered soon.

Postby hungryhousewife » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:02 pm

Hi Sue
Poor you!!!
I always insist on 24 hours starvation - other than dry toast!! Keep him away from dairy.
I think something like a nicely boiled egg with soldiers - no butter, but maybe a little marmite - would be the thing.
Hope he gets better soon! :|
HH

Postby Alison Wright » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:11 pm

I was going to suggest lightly boiled eggs, toast, pro-biotic yoghurt - then remembered about the 'BRAT' diet.

http://familydoctor.org/familydoctor/en ... omach.html

Postby hungryhousewife » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:16 pm

Hi Alison!
How brilliant! I haven't ever heard of the BRAT diet! I loved stewed apple and it is quite appetising, even when you are feeling delicate!
HH

Postby hungryhousewife » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:20 pm

Tatihou! I am wondering how you put the beautiful pansy beside your name?
I've looked in the User Control Panel bit, but can't find which bit does the little picture thingy.
Yours pathetically
HH

Postby Tatihou » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:45 pm

hungryhousewife wrote:I've looked in the User Control Panel bit, but can't find which bit does the little picture thingy.

It took me a bit of searching... once in the User Control Panel, click on PROFILE on the top line. When in PROFILE, if you look on the second line of options, those options relate to the highlighted section on the top line.

In other words, when in PROFILE you have access to EDIT PROFILE / SIGNATURE / AVATAR / ACCOUNT SETTINGS.

Predictably, if you click on AVATAR, you can upload an avatar from your machine or an URL or an off-site location like Photobucket (I assume). Take note of the max dimensions and file size, though.

HTH HH. :D

ps: sorry to have highjacked your thread, Sue. :oops:

Postby sueturnersmith » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:16 pm

No problem Tatihou...

And thanks for all the ideas. The BRAT diet sounds good.

Postby Suelle » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:35 pm

sueturnersmith wrote:No problem Tatihou...

And thanks for all the ideas. The BRAT diet sounds good.

I've used the BRAT diet on the rare occasions that anyone in the family has a stomach upset, but it is only useful after food can be kept down. You often need 24 hours of just drinking a rehydrating liquid before eating is possible. If you don't have a commercial rehydrating drink such as Dioralyte (sp?), then you can make your own by adding a tablespoon of sugar and a large pinch of salt to a glass of water
The blog which does what it says on the tin:

http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby macgroogle » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:06 pm

Hi Sue

I work with some doctors and when I had an upset tummy a few weeks ago I was told to eat the most boring simple foods I could think of: toast & vegetable soup basically. No dairy, meat, fruit, spice, fish. It was very dull.

A few years ago I had a dreadful vomiting bug and afterwards the only thing I could stomach was stewed apple and custard. Took me about 4 hours to eat a bowl but made me feel much better.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:16 pm

I just posted a reply, and it vanished into thin air

I could not face an egg after a stomach upset, and I'm not sure of the rationale for avoiding (non-fatty) dairy - I have been unable to find any science behind this widely held belief (and I have looked)

BRAT is good (it is what you are told when travelling in the tropics), and if you don't fancy rice, porridge may be even better as it has soluble fibre

I have found plain yogurt & canned rice pudding (bland & sterile) pretty good

Talking of travelling - start with isotonic drinks, even at home, before moving on to food.

Postby Tatihou » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:25 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:I just posted a reply, and it vanished into thin air...
You might have saved it as a draft, Sue. I've done that a couple of times. On Firefox, clicking "back" seems to retrieve the note.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:40 pm

Tatihou wrote:
Stokey Sue wrote:I just posted a reply, and it vanished into thin air...
You might have saved it as a draft, Sue. I've done that a couple of times. On Firefox, clicking "back" seems to retrieve the note.

No. I got an error message thanks

Return to Healthy Eating