Register

food with a cold

How to curb your cravings and stay away from the ice cream!

food with a cold

Postby DEB » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:00 pm

Hi All

I have a very nasty cold and am completely off my food. What you you eat if you were me.

Re: food with a cold

Postby Wokman » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:07 pm

I just force myself to eat whatever I can keep down, but I always find that a cup of hot oxo makes me feel a bit better, either that or a nice soup.

Postby jeral » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:31 pm

Hi DEB and commiserations - colds make one feel disproportionately miserable don't they?

I find that if I my nose is bunged up, then I can't breathe and chew simultaneously, so has to be mash, or potato & fish croquette-style patties, or just fish pate on soft bread. Or thicker blended soups that slither down, no milk-related products added which are said to increase mucus. Eggs don't seem to be dairy, so hardboiled chopped in milk-free mayonnaise (Hellman's is milk free) with a pinch of cayenne.

Like Wokman said, Oxo is very good, or in my case (V) bouillion or Marmite, although I add a pinch of red pepper flakes or a good grinding of black pepper. Plenty of fluids generally to avoid dehydration.

Once feeling a bit better, for vegetable assortment, can't beat ratatouille, either tray-roasted or on the hob. Add herbs or spices of choice and garlic if you like it which is good for colds. Fry off some diced chorizo and use that as a base if you like. Some would say a bean cassoulet is also a contender :)

Sorry for long post but I do feel for you, hug.

Lemsip helps relieve my stuffy head - or homemade equivalent of hot water, lemon, honey, paracetamol - but the capsules that stop one's nose running make my head feel like a lead balloon.

Postby prettykiwicrazy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:55 pm

Fresh orange juice always makes me feel better. Think it's a psychological thing with the Vitamin C.Scrambled eggs are always nice and easy to digest, plus have the comforting nursery food factor. Occasionally a hot spicy veggie stir fry can help clear the sinuses and again lots of vitamins .

Postby Seatallan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:28 pm

Heinz tomato soup. Instant comfort.

The other thing I always get an urge for at times like that is banana custard.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby hungryhousewife » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:58 pm

Hi DEB. Sorry you're under the weather!

For me the magic elixir is chicken noodle soup. I often have chicken stock in the freezer/fridge, so it doesn't take much effort to whip up and add some rice noodles - perhaps some sliced mushrooms and a pinch of chopped corriander or parsley.

Alternatively, I usually have a jar of Tom Yum paste in the fridge, so often have a spoon of that with some chicken stock and hot water - light and delicious - very good for clearing a bunged up nose too!

Get better soon!

HH

Postby jaybird » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:56 am

I've just recovered from a cold (first one for at least 3 years). When I feel under the weather for any reason I turn to my juicer. My favourite is carrot juice (organic), maybe mixed with apple sometimes and a small knob of fresh ginger. You get vitamin C and A (in the form of betacarotine). I also take echinacea drops (not tablets, drops are much more effective) 3 or 4 times a day and I suck zinc lozenges (especially just before bedtime) as it helps throat problems and zinc is good for the immune system as well. I drink honey/lemon & weak green tea. I keep these things in stock for whenever I feel 'something coming on' and it nearly always works to ward it off.
Hope you feel better soon.

Return to Healthy Eating