Register

cheap alternative to crisps?

How to curb your cravings and stay away from the ice cream!

cheap alternative to crisps?

Postby carrotmanjad21 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:13 pm

Hi,
i have recently decided that its time for me to start eating better,
ive joined a gym too and its been going great this last month, started toning up :)
but i have one weakness, thats cheese and onion walker crisps.
i cant get enough of them aha,
is there a healthy alternative to these?
cheers, Jad. :)

Re: cheap alternative to crisps?

Postby prettykiwicrazy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:00 pm

Walkers do a baked version of their crisps ,which are lower in fat.Have also been trying to lose a few pounds recently and I think popcorns a great snack.The salted version will give you the crunch and saltiness you're probably missing from the crisps.

Postby jeral » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:28 pm

I've been unsuccessful at home-made crisps but bought ones are so low fat now that it's not worth the bother for an odd packet now and then. Also if mine were good, I'd eat more, certainly more than the dozen in a 15g bag! ;)

You might like to look at Graze boxes. A neighbour gets a weekly one although I've not quizzed her as I suppose the fact that she gets one regularly must mean she likes them. See: http://www.amodelrecommends.com/2011/09/01/graze/

Brazil nuts are filling and healthy but have serious calories in them.

I like to suck a still-frozen prawn(s) - very refreshing and minimal cals, with a stick of celery (+ sprinkle of sea salt). Each to his own eh?

Postby sherrygirl » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:57 am

Hi there, it's a good thing that you're starting to do exercises and eating better. You can try salad that has fresh vegetables, go for healthy foods to maintain your good body and have a healthy lifestyle. After you had a gym, you can also do recreational activity, and most of all be self discipline and do not eat fatty foods.

Postby jaybird » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:35 am

I had a go at making oat biscuits tonight, been meaning to for ages. They were just fine oats (I ground my own in a coffee grinder, oat flour really), mixed with a small amount of baking powder, olive oil, salt and water. Baked at about 160 degrees for about 30 minutes. I rolled out a rectangle of dough and marked it into smallish squares. They came out lovely and crisp and fresh tasting - I think from having freshly ground the organic oats.
I think next time I'll try flavouring them, maybe some herbs, or black pepper, or a touch of cheese & smoked paprika. I think they'll keep for a while in a tin. If you're interested I could give quantities I used.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:53 pm

I am fairly anti-graze boxes

I think they encourage random snacking, and snacking simply isn't healthy if you need to restrict your calorie intake

If you are seriously intending to move to a healthy diet, you need to go cold turkey on the junk and eat your planned meals, and if you get too hungry to go to the next meal have a small amount of healthy food, so in effect you eat min-meal of something healthy like fruit, yogurt, crispbread with a thin topping or whatever,

It's not the crisps - it's the nibbling that isn't good (unless you are underweight)

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:48 pm

We have decided to go lower fat because M's latest cholesterol test was hovering just under the high, though it often is at the end of winter!

I agree with you Sue, although we are not really snackers, he is a sucker for biscuits and cake - so those are out from now on. So is icecream - for him, I don't care for it anyway.

Have to say I am quite enjoying the challenge, new recipes, new thinking and it is probably better for us both.

I will be making hot cross buns on Friday though !

Snacks from now on are to be nuts and dried fruits, fresh fruit and small amounts of very very dark chocolate.
Last edited by Joanbunting on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby DEB » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:58 pm

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:24 pm

Interesting, and presumably nearly zero calories!

It does however remind me of a scary warning I spotted on my trusty old Benriner Mandoline the other day, that I'd not noticed before (well I have only had it for about 15 years)...

Postby hungryhousewife » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:50 pm

OWCH!!!!!! :lol: :lol:
HH

Postby hungryhousewife » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:02 am

I've just made delicious home-made potato wedges, the children wanted chips. Just cut the potatoes, without peeling, in to wedges - tossed in lots of olive oil, salt, pepper and cajun seasoning - in a hot oven for 25 mins. They were the best!!

HH

Postby Renée » Sat May 11, 2013 9:33 am

..... and how many fingers have you left, Sakkarin? :lol: It's a lovely, simple mandoline though. :thumbsup

Those oven chips sound good, HH, but I use the Spray-Lite stuff these days. It does come in different flavours, though, so not too bad. My halogen oven is good for making these and I can see what's happening. Sweet potato chips are nice, too.

Postby aerona » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:35 am

I find it hard to say no to crisps. It's like an addiction. I was even thinking about making them at home, so at least I'd know they're healthy. What would you recommend? :D

Return to Healthy Eating