Register

Lower fat salad dressings

How to curb your cravings and stay away from the ice cream!

Lower fat salad dressings

Postby Joanbunting » Wed May 15, 2013 3:49 pm

I would love to improve my range of salad dressings before the summer, especially as I want to make them lower fat.

We like zingy but not overpowering ie don't clash with wine. Any help much appreciated.

Re: Lower fat salad dressings

Postby Mamta » Wed May 15, 2013 4:44 pm

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed May 15, 2013 6:25 pm

I find that the various yogurt dressings are fine for certain things, and that of course yogurt can often be subbed for mayo

Thai style dressings, based on lime juice and soy and/or fish sauce with garlic, sugar, and optionally chilli and roasted shallot or grated ginger work well where they work, especially with cooked veg & sea food, and can be made totally fat free, or nearly if you add a little sesame oil

However the one that eluded me is a good sub for a nice ordinary vinaiigrette - there are all sorts of recipes, most are vile, in fact most are so vile that commercial low fat vinaigrette is greatly preferable!

A good thing to look at is white balsamic vinegar - it's very mild and can be used with very little oil

Oddly I find adding sliced olives to some salads can reduce the amount of EVOO requried to dress them.

Postby Renée » Thu May 30, 2013 1:20 pm

Thanks for those recipes, Mamta.

Sometimes, if I'm in a hurry, I just sprinkle white balsamic over salad leaves.

Postby Mamta » Thu May 30, 2013 4:33 pm

Sometimes, if I'm in a hurry, I just sprinkle white balsamic over salad leaves.

Traditionally, north Indians sprinkle only S & P and lemon juice or vinegar on their salad. Oil is not added. Onions especially, taste a lot better with just salt, chilli powder and deep, dark vinegar.

Postby Renée » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:11 am

That's interesting, Mamta.

I bought three different fruit white balsamic vinegars last year, so must start using them soon.

Postby Mamta » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:18 am

Are you going to use them with onions Renee? If yes, try with red onions, as opposed to white. Let me know if you like it.
Edited 21/01/15 Just corrected opinions to onions in the first sentence! I was using my Nexus while in India and it has this irritating auto correct thingy that changes my words, sometimes unnoticed! I don't know hot to turn it off!
Last edited by Mamta on Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Renée » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:18 am

Thank you for that idea, Mamta. I'll let you know very soon.

Postby Renée » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:03 pm

Mamta, I made Salad Nicoise today and included finely sliced red onions tossed in pomegranate white balsamic vinegar. I enjoyed it very much, so thanks for the idea.

Postby jeral » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:16 pm

Walnut oil, if you like it, is good as the flavour is very strong so only need a drizzle of the dressing, e.g. http://www.food.com/recipe/french-walnu ... tte-448396

Walnut oil doesn't keep well, however stored, so need to use it within about 2-3 months; better to buy a small bottle.

Postby Mamta » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:28 pm

That is nice to know Renee. I used to have a bottle of pomegranate vinegar, must get another one from somewhere.

Postby Renée » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:34 am

I bought these from a Home Sense store (TK Maxx), if you are in the UK, Mamta.

I've bought walnut oil in the past, jeral, but hadn't realised that it can only be kept for a short time.

Postby Mamta » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:17 am

I hve been away a lot in the last 2 months Renene, but am now back in uk, came back last night. I don't think we have Home Sense Store sround here, but will keep my eyes out for it. Thanks

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:26 am

Mamta wrote:I hve been away a lot in the last 2 months Renene, but am now back in uk, came back last night. I don't think we have Home Sense Store sround here, but will keep my eyes out for it. Thanks

Big Home Sense at Staples Corner Mamta, I have bought sheets and stuff there

Makes an excursion combined with Wing Yip!

Postby Renée » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:27 pm

My three fruit white balsamics are by Sonoma Harvest in California. Home Sense just has a small selection of interesting foods, most of which, I can't obtain in this country. They are always changing their stock, but there is always something very tempting there!

http://www.sonomaharvestfoods.com/

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:58 pm

Shock horror I've found a commercial low-fat dressing I like

Righteous Oil-Free Caper & Peppercorn Dressing, widely available now

http://www.loverighteous.com/salad-dressings/oil-free-caper-peppercorn-dressing/

Yuzu dressing is good (this the best low fat adaptation I think, and nice blog)
http://and-my-kitchen-sink.com/nobus-yuzu-dressing

But don't rush out to buy a ludicrously expensive bottle of Yuzu juice, it tastes more bottled than yuzu IMO (think Jif Lemon), sub any combination of citrus fruit you like, if you can get those knobbly bitter lemons/citrons then I think they'd be ideal

Postby Renée » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:58 pm

Thanks, Sue! I can buy that particular dressing in Tesco. Sainsbury's have two of the dressings, but not that one and Waitrose have three, but not that one.

I did buy a little bottle of Yuzu, but only used it once.

Postby Dena » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:08 pm

Snap Renee, when I bought a bottle of Yuzu, I had to throw most away :thumbsdown

I once bought a bottle of Mizkan seasoned rice vinegar and it was very much liked. When I read the ingredients I decided to make it myself, ended up with white vinegar (preferably rice but any good white), some caster sugar to taste and top up with boiled water to the strength required. I sometimes add dill when using it for a cucumber salad.

Return to Healthy Eating