Register

Statins for over 50's

How to curb your cravings and stay away from the ice cream!

Re: Statins for over 50's

Postby Renée » Sun May 20, 2012 12:13 pm

Thank you very much for the information regarding K2, Nigel. I shall have a good read. I'll make a note of the VitaCost website, too, although I bought 400 gel caps for about the same price, so won't be needing any for a while and I won't be going back to America, so I'll order from VitaCost next time.

Fluoride again?? Isn't it amazing that there are "experts" who say that it's quite safe and those who say that it definitely isn't. I've never wanted it adding to drinking water and I did once read, many years ago, that the type that they're adding isn't the same as the one that occurs naturally.

Postby jeral » Sun May 20, 2012 4:57 pm

The fluoride one is news to me as I thought it wasn't allowed other than in a couple of areas where it was naturally present. However it seems Southampton (their water board) applied in 2009 to add fluoride to their water for dental reasons and the appeal court despite protests said it wouldn't stop them (2011). This is a news article - the Southampton application and appeal is on another site: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healt ... water.html

This should be on the 5-a-day thread, but this was on the same page regarding the danger to tooth enamel of fruit drinks re their acid and sugar content: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/9277003 ... negar.html

I thought tooth decay had declined following adding fluoride to toothpaste, but I guess fruit drinks and smoothies weren't prevalent until more recently.

Back on statins, I noticed in one report that it said how cheap the pills were which worries me. Cheap things often come with a hidden or longer term price, same as cheap toasters do.

Postby Renée » Sun May 20, 2012 5:53 pm

I would have thought that saliva would remove any fruit juice from the teeth, so I'm not going to stop drinking fruit juice first thing every morning.

Postby jeral » Sun May 20, 2012 6:50 pm

Hmm. The suggestion is to eat fruit or fruit drinks as part of a meal; on another site I posted elsewhere (UK gov one) it said to chew sugar-free gum to increase mouth saliva to help wash the acid away so saliva must play a more important part than toothpaste immediate after a meal.

Some stomach-oriented sites say that one should always eat fruit first (not last) as it rots quicker (stomach enzymes) so clears the way in intestinal terms before a bulk of carbs etc arrives, otherwise, the quickly digested stuff is sitting on top of things which take longer to digest.

I think the idea of dessert apples after a meal is just to bring wind up (rather than down) isn't it?

Sorry, nothing about statins.

Postby Renée » Sun May 20, 2012 11:30 pm

Well, I have coffee straight after the orange juice, so that will probably be OK.

Yes, I remember reading that fruit should be eaten first or on its own many years ago, but they seem to have gone quiet on that one. I have grated apple on my Oats so Simple, with added ground up linseeds, wheat germ and oatbran.

Postby Nigeepoo » Mon May 21, 2012 9:23 am

The problem that I have with the fluoridation of tap water is the extremely poor control of dosage. Some people drink hardly any tap water and some people drink loads. Most tap water is used for washing & flushing toilets, anyway.

I think that adding fluoride to foods that encourage plaque formation (anything made from flour, crisps & any other starchy foods that stick to teeth) and sugary drinks (including fruit juices) is a much better idea.

Postby jeral » Mon May 21, 2012 2:47 pm

As long as we are informed so that it gives us the option of declining to eat or drink water or other products containing fluoride. As it would be in a very small quantity it could well fall under the radar of what has to be declared as an ingredient *growls*

Previous

Return to Healthy Eating