Register

New to me and healthy!

How to curb your cravings and stay away from the ice cream!

New to me and healthy!

Postby Renée » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:45 pm

I discovered Kallo Buckwheat & Multi-Seed Cakes at the supermarket and they are so handy for a quick lunch after I get in from the gym.

http://www.kallo.com/things-we-make/ric ... raincakes/

Has anyone else discovered any new and healthy products recently?

Re: New to me and healthy!

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:17 pm

I'll look out for those, I quite like rice cakes and those look like an interesting variant

Not sure what super seeds have to do with it though, I don't believe in the concept of "super foods"

If you want something even lighter than a cuppa soup as a savoury hot drink the Kallo French Onion cubes work, none of their cubes are too salty

Postby Renée » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:47 pm

Thanks for the idea, Sue. I always have Kallo French Onion stock cubes in the cupboard. I can get them from a garden centre and Waitrose stock them, but sadly the other supermarkets don't seem to.

I like the Sainsbury's be good to yourself Thai style chicken soup in a cup.

Postby jeral » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:07 pm

Broths are very useful aren't they in dry central heating when thirst can be as strong as hunger.

In such a broth to make it more substantial I drop an egg into it, in the stranded way, and heat in the microwave to boiling until egg bits are cooked, maybe adding some small frozen prawns as well.

On "new", I read recently that spring onions if you eat the green part as well are meant to be a good source of antioxidants (more so than ordinary onions), so a sliced one goes in there too if I have some.

---

The last Sat Kit episode was funny where the virtues of an almost non-fat game bird were extolled, then much mirth when it was cooked (and not by James Martin) in darn near its own weight of butter :P

Postby Renée » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:42 am

I always use the green part of spring onions, so it's good to know that they are the best part.

I always record Saturday Kitchen, jeral, so I have that to look forward to! It's one of my favourite food programmes and the visiting chefs are always very interesting. I love James Martin's humour, too!

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:27 pm

As an aside, the Kallo people were very helpful when Mrs B was suffering kidney problems. They could tell me details, such as the potassium content of their stock cubes, which other companies could not or would not.

I haven't tried the buckwheat cakes nor the onion cubes though, so thanks for the recommendations!

Postby jeral » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:06 pm

Well done Kallo :) It is always delightfully pleasing when a helpful response arrives from customer service isn't it? It's also good if you can find a suitable product so that you don't have to make absolutely everything from scratch.

Postby Renée » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:13 am

I have written to the main supermarkets, begging them to stock the Kallo French Onion stock cubes, which I think, is the most useful one. I am able to buy them online, fortunately.

That was such a good response from them, Badger's Mate.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:37 am

Renée wrote:I have written to the main supermarkets, begging them to stock the Kallo French Onion stock cubes, which I think, is the most useful one. I am able to buy them online, fortunately.

That was such a good response from them, Badger's Mate.

None of the local supermarkets stock them but most of the local health food shops do - worth a try?

Postby Renée » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:40 am

Thanks Sue! There is a well stocked health shop in Chorley, so I'll have a look when I'm next there. Waitrose used to stock them, but they were with the "Free from" foods, which were away from the rest of the stock cubes. They don't have them now, but Ocado have them, but I don't shop online!

Return to Healthy Eating