Register

Healthy stew

How to curb your cravings and stay away from the ice cream!

Healthy stew

Postby tizmelouise » Tue May 29, 2012 1:00 pm

Am sat eating a bowl of a big stew I made this morning so thought I'd share. I roasted onions, tomatoes, peppers, courgettes, mushrooms, butternut squash and loads of garlic with herbs then added them to a pot with tinned tomatoes, passata, stock, flavoured with paprika lots of black pepper and star anise (had bay and rosemary in with the roasted veg). Added butterbeans and brocolli. For my lunch I've added a tin of sardines to it - its delicious! Might sound a bit of a mish mash but is super tasty and healthy!!! Will freeze it in portions and can add different things to it as and when!

Re: Healthy stew

Postby Renée » Tue May 29, 2012 1:40 pm

I've made similar in the past. I love all the flavours and it is healthy. I'm doing Slimming World very successfully at the moment, so everything that I make is low fat with lots of vegetables.

Postby jeral » Tue May 29, 2012 3:43 pm

Hi tizmelouise. Sounds very good and there's lots of ways to ring the changes in usage. I wonder if you've tried some of it cold as some of the tomato-based ones are good eaten chilled, as are roasted veg for that matter. :)

Postby kari49 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:15 pm

hiya louise i do similar stews but i always have to have fresh thyme in as it is my favourite herb, i alsolike the stews cold as well the taste to me is more concentrated, and my favourite part is the broth! :thumbsup :) karen

Postby Puss-in-boots » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:15 pm

Hi Louise, my FDIL makes all of those sort of healthy stews and i don`t know if you have seem the pots of Glorious soups in the supermarkets, well she uses that sort of size and takes them cold into work the next day with some fruit, (not in the same tub you understand) but to have afterwards. Very good idea i though and your stew sounds yum.

Postby tizmelouise » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:20 pm

Hi Puss Yes I know those soups, I used to buy then but once I served up one that wasn't sealed properly an it was the vilest taste ever - am too scared to buy soups in those pots any more! But I do have containers a similar size that I use for lunch :-)

Postby Puss-in-boots » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:45 pm

The Glorious soups were on offer and I forgot to buy some. I only buy them for the pots you understand.

Louise I was reading your stew recipe again and it said you add stock, which one did you add to the stew as love the sound of it and would like to give it a try.

Return to Healthy Eating