Register

How dangerous is white bread?

How to curb your cravings and stay away from the ice cream!

How dangerous is white bread?

Postby Lurker » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:09 pm

I recently found an Indian recipe which required using "Atta" flour. On referring to Wikipedia, I found that it is a bleached white flour, but that the way it is bleached is potentially very dangerous and carcinogenoic. Any comments?

Re: How dangerous is white bread?

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:28 pm

Jeez.
I've just bought 10kilos of atta/ chapatti flour from Tesco for £3 - yes £3. But it's definitely unbleached wholemeal.

Maida flour on the other hand, does indeed look hazardous.
I've only used a couple of kilos before, and not really felt the need to buy any more.

I think I'll pass from now on, Sakkarin.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:08 pm

Oh dear, got me maida and atta mixed up :-(

Sheesh, that's cheap, £3 for 10 kilos is about 14p a pound!

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:24 am

That's what I thought, Sakkarin.
And I am incorporating it into my regular bread making, as it runs at 10.5% gluten/ protein.
The sacks are found at the Indian section at Tesco. I'll check and see if the offer is still up.

Postby AZCook » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:21 am

Yep. I read that wiki article and Maida don't look too good on account of the particular bleaching agent they use. Easy enough to use ordinary white flour, though, I think.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:44 am

Yep, AZ.
It was just about the same to me as plain white. No detectable difference.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:48 pm

it should be pointed out that bleached flour has been illegal in the UK for so long, they don't even bother to label it unbleached any more

I asked on the Beeb board why I couldn't find unbleached flour, and that turned out to be why!

Postby bubblingcara » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:07 pm

The "Gold Medal" american brand multiple purpose flour we find in our markets is bleached.
Are all bleach alike?

Postby Breadandwine » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:30 pm

Here's a link to a discussion about just what goes into mass-produced (Chorleywood method) bread, from the Food Board.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbfood/F267047 ... 0&show=100
Now that you've discovered that making your own bread is easier than you thought, what else is there that isn't so difficult when you actually have a go? Like making your own pasta without a machine, for instance!

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.com/

Postby karadekoolaid » Wed May 02, 2012 9:01 pm

Lurker wrote:I recently found an Indian recipe which required using "Atta" flour. On referring to Wikipedia, I found that it is a bleached white flour, but that the way it is bleached is potentially very dangerous and carcinogenoic. Any comments?

I'm afraid Wikipedia is far from reliable. It quoted ONE person, who quoted ONE doctor from ONE university. That's not hard evidence; that's hearsay.
If you're worried about the supposed dangers of Maida flour, don't use it. :P

Postby hungryhousewife » Thu May 03, 2012 12:41 am

Stokey Sue wrote:it should be pointed out that bleached flour has been illegal in the UK for so long, they don't even bother to label it unbleached any more

I asked on the Beeb board why I couldn't find unbleached flour, and that turned out to be why!

Really?? That's news to me - and very good news too! I remember being told about 30 years ago by a nutritionist fellow, that British white flour had 21 different chemicals in it, which was why he thought so many people were becoming intollerant to wheat here.

HH

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 03, 2012 1:25 pm

hungryhousewife wrote:Really?? That's news to me - and very good news too! I remember being told about 30 years ago by a nutritionist fellow, that British white flour had 21 different chemicals in it, which was why he thought so many people were becoming intollerant to wheat here.

HH

Doubtful

Generally agreed that increased wheat intolerance due to

1) better diagnosis
2) new higher yielding strains of wheat with a higher proportion of low-molecular weight globular proteins compared to heritage strains

and to be honest, a lot, though of course not all, self-diagnosed case of "wheat intolerance" are pure fantasy.

Postby hungryhousewife » Thu May 03, 2012 5:01 pm

Hmm! Interesting.
Thanks!
HH

Postby riocaz » Thu May 03, 2012 5:30 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:and to be honest, a lot, though of course not all, self-diagnosed case of "wheat intolerance" are pure fantasy.

And lets not forget the number of "allergy testers" out there that feed people's concerns.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 03, 2012 6:06 pm

riocaz wrote: [And lets not forget the number of "allergy testers" out there that feed people's concerns.

Come the glorious revolution....

Along with self-styled "nutritionists" who when asked what their qualifications are say "oh, I've been practising for 10 years"

Opening an office and taking money from the gullible not quite the same as gettign a qualification in my view

Postby Nigeepoo » Thu May 03, 2012 9:21 pm

I believe that wheat (& casein) proteins are only problematical to people with compromised gut integrity, as both of these proteins are very slow to be broken down into amino acids by the action of the peptidase enzymes pepsin, trypsin & chymotrypsin.

Unfortunately, about 10% of the population have compromised gut integrity nowadays, due to:-
a) Hypovitaminosis D caused by an indoors-based lifestyle.
b) Excess intake of linoleic acid (many veg oils & Flora).

This is why about 10% of blood donors were found to have anti-gliadin antibodies, even though only about 1% of the population have coeliac disease. See Keep 'em tight.

Return to Healthy Eating