Register

Granola recipes please

How to curb your cravings and stay away from the ice cream!

Granola recipes please

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:14 pm

I am not entirely sure that granola comes under "healthy eating" but here goes.

On holiday M (husband) has fallen in love with granola,fruit and yogurt parfaits. Fruit is not a problem, I make my own yogurt and have always made muesli but never granola.

Any recipes or thoughts anyone please?

Re: Granola recipes please

Postby denada » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:24 pm

Hi Joan, I always have a tub of granola in the larder, such an easy breakfast with berries and yoghurt......you can even convince yourself it's healthy. I can't give quantities as I just mix things till I get a balance I want, so mix quite a lot rolled oats, few handfuls sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, about 4 tbsp.sesame seeds, couple of good handfuls flaked almonds. In a jug mix 2tbsp light-flavoured oil,about 1/2cup pure maple syrup, 2tabsp. honey and 1teasp. vanilla extract. Mix well into granola, spread out on a couple of baking trays and bake at 150c for 15minutes. Remove trays and stir through some dried fruit and coconut flakes if you like, then bake for another 15minutes. Cool then stored in airtight container, I find it keeps about a month........unless it's eaten well before then!

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:37 pm

Hi Denada

Thanks for that. Maple syrup can be a bit hard to find here but I guess more strong flavoured honey would work just as well?

Postby Dover Soul » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:14 pm

Have a look for Bill Granger's recipe made with apple juice Joan, I can't find the original but there are a few adaptations available.
The gong has been struck, time to eat

Postby denada » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:14 pm

DS, I've never seen Bill's granola recipe with apple juice. His normal recipe is very similar to the one I gave but with no maple syrup (he uses extra honey Joan) and melted butter instead of oil. I've had his version at Bill's Sydney Food and very good it is too. His bircher muesli uses pear or apple juice to soak the grains. Perhaps you are thinking of that.

Postby Dover Soul » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:21 pm

Maybe I'm not expert enough to know the difference. All I know is I have seen Bill Granger make a breakfast cereal with oats, seeds, and apple juice, plus fruits on a TV show and there are plenty of versions of it on the internet when you search for Bill Granger's Granola.
The gong has been struck, time to eat

Postby Tatihou » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:01 pm

Joan, I use Rachel Allen's crunchy granola recipe (or granulé, as we tend to refer to it) which can be found here... http://kitchen-delights.blogspot.fr/2008/12/rachel-allens-crunchy-nutty-granola.html

I serve it to cd'h guests for brekkie and it always gets compliments. I reduce the amount of dried fruit, though and increase the amount of nuts - particularly good if pecan nuts are added. If the granulé is kept for more than a couple of days, the raisins, chopped apricots, etc dry out too much and some of the moisture softens the granulé. It keeps much better - stays crunchier - without the dried fruit.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:01 pm

Hi Tatihou

Thanks so much. Off to the market tomorrow to find the necessaries! How is Normandy?

Postby Global_Worming » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:17 am

JB my fav granola recipe is at the end of the vid if it works
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLGVgOv7gkk

Postby Tatihou » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:45 am

Joanbunting wrote:Off to the market tomorrow to find the necessaries! How is Normandy?
Normandy is wet and windy. Intermittently very very wet and really really windy. Guests came over on the Vomit Comet from Portsmouth to Cherbourg yesterday... very messy apparently! :mrgreen:

I have granulé on the go at the moment so I'll take a photo later. Returning guests have brought their parents with them and it's heart-warming (if slightly scary) to hear the virtues of the granulé (and the scrambled eggs) being extolled... because I'm not a production line and I do often do recipes slightly differently (not enough pecans so I'll throw in some walnuts, sort of thing) and I always worry that today's reality won't live up to the remembered flavours. But it seemed okay...

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:26 pm

Hi Tatihou

Think I have all the necessaries so after I have tackled the ironing I'll have a go.

So good to be back in a country with proper cheese and fruit and veg not in plastic wraps.

Your guests/costomers are fortunate people!

Joan

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:44 pm

Made my granola - a sort of mixture of all your suggestions - will report back tomorrow when M tastes it in a parfait with HM yogurt (thick) and local strawberries

Postby LouP » Tue May 01, 2012 11:43 pm

A bit late for this time, but I really like Nigella Lawsons granola "Andy's Fairfield Granola". I started making it when my Mum's favourite one was discontinued. I haven't made it for a while now as it makes quite a large quantity and it's only me that eats it regularly.
http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/and ... ranola-138

As with all things like this, I substiute various things that I have available or don't like.
Hope yours turns out well.

Postby hungryhousewife » Wed May 02, 2012 12:20 am

I'm a bit late in on this one too!

I always use any left over granola, muesli, coco-pops or what ever to make flapjacks with! The children always eat them up - otherwise there are always 'bits' in the bottom of the box that go to waste!
HH

Postby riocaz » Wed May 02, 2012 2:13 am

Can someone please explain to me what's the difference between muesli and Granola is?

My understanding was that Muesli uses uncooked oats and tends to be unsweetened. And in Granola the oats are cooked and sweetened and stick together in chunks a bit and go crunchy.

Dover Sole, I know there is a recipe in Bills food for an apple juice sweetened Muesli which is toasted in the oven, but remains free flowing rather than forming chunks. Which seems to be a cross between the two (and is part of why I'm confused).

http://www.lifestylefood.com.au/recipes ... ted-muesli

Postby Tatihou » Wed May 02, 2012 10:16 am

riocaz wrote:Can someone please explain to me what's the difference between muesli and Granola is?

In my mind, muesli is more floury - not that there is flour but there's powdery sawdust (!) around the fruit, nuts etc.

Granola is (as you said) chunkier - more like those "clusters" that one of the big cereal manufacturers makes / used to make. There's no sawdust.

ETA:
It seems that "a" difference is nationality. Granola is American and Muesli is Swiss. And granola has added ingredients (butter, honey, etc) to make it all cluster together.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/67136-difference-between-muesli-granola/

Postby Joanbunting » Wed May 02, 2012 2:13 pm

Hi again Tatihou

I made the granola yesterday using a combination of various "recipes", mostly yours. It was very easy and smelled lovely. M was therefore thrilled to have a berry, MH yogurt and granola parfait for breakfast.

How healthy is actually is i am not sure - but I guess it is better than a fry-up!

Return to Healthy Eating