Register

Gastric band query

How to curb your cravings and stay away from the ice cream!

Gastric band query

Postby jeral » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:24 pm

In the Hairy Dieters programme last night (Thur 3 Aug BBC2), an erstwhile 23 stone woman said she chickened out of getting a band and decided to go it alone, subsequently losing 12 stone, so darn near half her body weight.

Now, that to me says she'd probably need a lot of surgical excess-skin tucks. Would the NHS pay for those as she'd dieted of her own accord? I assume NHS would if they'd accepted her as a patient and fitted the band?

That aspect of weight loss strikes me as being a big incentive for not gaining "too" much weight (allowing uncontrollable medical causes) as those cosmetic operations sure ain't cheap if done privately, according to other TV programmes.

Curiosity getting the better of me - anyone know pls?

Re: Gastric band query

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:04 pm

A friend lost that much weight - she looked as if she needed skin tucks but in fact over about 18 months of maintaining her weight and exercise regime it sorted itself out, so i'm guessing the NHS won't do it, as in this case time does heal the wounds

Re: Gastric band query

Postby Tatihou » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:08 pm

I have read (Sunday supplement, I think) that if the very overweight exercise as well as diet, then the skin is more likely to retain elasticity and subside at about the same rate as the weight is shed. There was a medical term for it which I can't now remember. The skin "flaps" problem comes when the very overweight just follow a diet and muscle tone acquired during exercise doesn't help take up some of the slack. Literally, I suppose.

ETA: I'm remembering more of the article now and the NHS did cover the cost of removing flaps because the skin under the flaps couldn't breath and developed sores or rashes and infections hence it developed into an actual medical condition requiring treatment rather than a cosmetic opeation.

Return to Healthy Eating