Register

Veggie burgers suitable for BBQ

Swap ideas and tips or ask advice about being a veggie.

Veggie burgers suitable for BBQ

Postby Happy Violas » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:01 pm

Hi there. I'm providing some veggie burgers for a firework party BBQ next weekend and wonder if anyone has a tried and trusted recipe for burgers which will keep their shape on a BBQ or at the very least on a George Foreman grill (I think that's what it is anyway...). I've looked at previous links and virtually all say to bake the burgers on a tray in the oven. In the past I've done spicy chickpea burgers but they tend to be a bit soft and collapse over the pan even when they're well chilled or frozen beforehand..... Any ideas? :tongueout :wino :limbobanana :newhuggy :rudolph1 :tiptoesanta

PS loving the smilies .... !

Re: Veggie burgers suitable for BBQ

Postby jeral » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:52 am

You can use a suitable tray to bbq veggie burgers to stop them falling through. That could be as simple as a metal foil takeaway container or several sheets of folded over (margarine greased) tinfoil (uncovered).

I don't know of a magic burger recipe that would stay put and not fall through the bars if there is to be texture of some discrete pieces rather than being a stodge of blitzed mush (Eu). A clean tray is a good idea anyway as it'll keep the veggie burgers separate from any meat residue on the bars.

Pre-baking them is an option, but I'd still want to see them on a tray/foil even just to reheat on the bbq as could still fall apart, especially if flipping over.

Edit PS: Can get foil containers from pound shops and can stretch out the pleats to flatten them a bit. Also useful for when doing a roast dinner and running out of space in the oven for bits of veggies and stuffings etc.

Postby Global_Worming » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:04 am

Make your V/B, fry it till cooked, let it cool, wrap in buttered phyllo. Crisp over indirect heat with the lid down. Serve in a soft bap with all the usual suspects, the textures contrast is fab.

Postby Mrs Vee » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:06 pm

Hi Happy Violas - I've tried many veggie burger recipes and pretty much all of them have fallen apart on a barbie! :roll:

This one http://simply-veggie.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... rgers.html tastes lovely and stayed in one piece in a pan, but I'd strongly suggest you use a foil tray on a barbie; you'll need to use one anyway if you're planning on using a BBQ that is also cooking meaty stuff. I suspect they'd probably hold together OK on a GF grill, though.

What about using large portobello mushrooms brushed with olive oil and smeared with veggie pesto, instead of burgers?

Postby Happy Violas » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:14 pm

Thanks for this. I've printed off the carrot & sesame seed burger recipe and will cook first and then reheat on the GF grill if it's there ... otherwise I'll take an old metal tray. I have tried commercial veggie burgers which I'm sure would stay in one piece but if I was being kind I'd say they tasted disgusting!
:balls :balls :balls :balls

Postby Mrs Vee » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:06 pm

Happy Violas wrote: I have tried commercial veggie burgers which I'm sure would stay in one piece but if I was being kind I'd say they tasted disgusting!

I quite agree! Don't even get me started on Quorn - I wouldn't give it to a dog! :thumbsdown

Postby jeral » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:09 pm

Strangely enough, the only purchased burger I've liked was a cauliflower one in breadcrumbs (Dale Farm I think) but in truth it was more a croquet. I'm sure there are lots of recipes on the net as it's basically mini florets and light mashed spud, then flour-egg-crumb.

I wouldn't want mine cooked on "meat bars" - I just wouldn't eat that if offered - so an old clean tray is cool. You can buy trays with holes in (like a flat colander) which is good if the coals include a smokey flavour (so not just coal smoke) which work for meat like chops too. Perhaps that's for another day.

Postby Happy Violas » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:43 am

Mrs Vee - Quorn isn't that bad! I keep a bag of Quorn chunks in the freezer for adding to stirfries when I'm cooking for one ... I don't use them often but they are fine like that. Quorn mince and breaded shaped things I can live without though and yes the burgers are :vomit .....

Jeral - I have just the right baking tray with holes to use .... an old one from years ago when the kids went through a phase of having oven chips and the holey tray made them crisper (supposedly!). I haven't used it for years. Looks like I'm sorted for the BBQ!

Thanks all!
:klingonbanana :limbobanana :klingonbanana :limbobanana :klingonbanana :limbobanana

Postby Breadandwine » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:14 am

The answer to the crumbling veggie burgers is:

Seitan!

Using Gluten Powder (sometimes called Vital Wheat Gluten), I make seitan cutlets which will not fall apart on a BBQ. In fact, they more resemble, in texture, a steak rather than a burger.

Here's how I make them - takes about 30 minutes, tops!

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.co.uk ... sages.html

Cheers, Paul
Now that you've discovered that making your own bread is easier than you thought, what else is there that isn't so difficult when you actually have a go? Like making your own pasta without a machine, for instance!

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.com/

Postby Happy Violas » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:50 am

Just thought I'd give feedback after your kind advice. The carrot and sesame burgers were lovely: I made 8 from the recipe, chilled them for a few hours, brushed with a bit of oil, baked for 20 mins and then took them still a bit warm to the BBQ party. Much later .... I used the GF grill and the burgers held their shape well - certainly the best I've ever had for a veggie burger! Another recipe to stick in my book, thank you :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:24 pm

I dec ided to make a "lot" of carrot & sesame burgers yesterday, so I can whip one or two out of the freezer any time for a quick lunch.
The recipe provided by Mrs Vee left me with seven, BIG burgers.
I fried one gently in olive oil and served it with Asian-style steamed broccoli.
I have to say - it was really delicious! No falling apart - it'll be a great addition to future BBQs!

Postby DEB » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:21 am

Hi

I am doing the food for the Parish BBQ next Sunday 7th Aug. This for something like the last 12 years and I have now run out of veggie ideas. Can anyone offer some fresh ideas, in the past I have done veg kababs, lots with halloumi, and vegetable stack with cheese. I understand about not cooking the veggie option on the same BBQ as the meat options unless encased in foil or similar.

Your ideas are most welcome

Thanks

DEB :birthday-dancer

Return to Veggie Chat