Register

The tribulations of a vegan, eating out

Swap ideas and tips or ask advice about being a veggie.

Re: The tribulations of a vegan, eating out

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri May 18, 2012 5:36 am

I'm still very much a bread-making beginner. I've actually produced 4 lots so far, in almost 60 years :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Is it easy? I really don't know! The first lot I turned out was absolutely divine. The second lot ( and I swear I followed the same procedure) was a little harder. The third lot disappeared in 20 minutes, although I had to turn the loaf upside down to crisp up the bottom, and the 4th lot was ok.
Perhaps it's more a question of practice makes perfect.

Postby hungryhousewife » Fri May 18, 2012 4:54 pm

The first bread recipe I tried that produced anything remotely like proper bread, was the basic bread recipe from Jamie Oliver - in one of his earlier books - I think it was Return of the NC - I have used this recipe so much, and often make it with spelt and rye flour, and it still produces a really delicious bread - equally successful when used for pizza base.
HH

Postby mark111757 » Sat May 19, 2012 8:00 pm

hey paul

i had someone email an e-book

Rawesomely.Vegan The.Ultimate.Raw.Vegan.Recipe.Book

did not know if you were aware of it
\
cheers

Postby Breadandwine » Sun May 20, 2012 1:34 pm

Thanks, Mark, I'll check it out! :thumbsup
Now that you've discovered that making your own bread is easier than you thought, what else is there that isn't so difficult when you actually have a go? Like making your own pasta without a machine, for instance!

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.com/

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon May 21, 2012 12:37 am

I guess we all do this, Paul - I think we cooks (who cook well!) get certain items off pat, and then when you show someone else they say " Wow! that's so easy!"
But (and here's a big BUT!) we do it instinctively. I've never tasted your bread, but I'm sure it's absolutely bloody marvellous, because you've been making it for so long that it's instinctive. Any environmental problem (ie - too much humidity) is immediately compensated because you've "been there, done that" and your correction is immediate. I get the same with my Tikka Masala: I can see if I need more liquid, less yogurt, etc.
I made bread for the first time in my life, about a month ago. It turned out beautifully; so much so that, when the lads came round with their mates, there was NO MORE ! :shock: :lol:
The second time, I thought Id followed exactly the same procedure - but it was heavier, drier. If it were Chicken Tikka Masala, I'd have known what to do; as it was bread, I didn't!
Never mind - all those who are reading are learning something - if they didn't already know it :thumbsup

Previous

Return to Veggie Chat