Register

Vegetarian tagliatelle dishes

Swap ideas and tips or ask advice about being a veggie.

Vegetarian tagliatelle dishes

Postby jeral » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:49 pm

Please does anyone have a tagliatelle dish where the star is sundried toms?

I often make my version of this grilled mushroom one (using big flat field mushrooms instead of porcini), but ain't much good for peeps who don't like mushrooms, lol: http://www.yummly.com/recipe/external/P ... ats-203076 Use (V) cheese of course.

Not sure what I'd put with sundried toms so it wasn't overly creamy.

Ta.

Re: Vegetarian tagliatelle dishes

Postby Mrs Vee » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:13 am

Hi Jeral - I don’t whether I’d say the sun-dried toms are ‘the star’, but I make a generic tomato and basil pasta sauce (which I freeze in two-serving tubs) to which I add extra chopped SD toms, halved green olives and pine nuts. I usually serve it with spaghetti but no reason why you couldn't use tagliatelle.

I think the sauce that goes with the penne in the recipe below sounds worth a try.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spinach-an ... ato-pasta/

Postby jeral » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:46 pm

Many thanks Mrs Vee. The linked version sounds great especially with the base of veg broth - and not a mushroom in sight, lol. One to try this week :)

It could also work, perhaps with some gooey cheese mixed in, in the grilled tray version of precooked gnocchi, the sort that the bread crumbs on top give a bit of crunch. Might use broccoli for that though making it pretty much a different dish as gnocchi doesn't have that spoon-and-slurp quality that tagliatelle/spaghetti has. Rambling now.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:24 am

Jeral: I have made two different pastas with sundried tomatoes.One is with artichoke hearts ( fresh, not frozen or bottled), green olives, garlic, sundried (rehydrated) tomatoes, capers, and a finely chopped green chile - slathered in abundant EVOO.
The other? I have this wonderful solid iron grill pan which weighs a ton, but heats up a treat and leaves wonderful grill marks on everything. I grill portobello mushrooms, red pepper strips,aubergine nd courgette slices, red onion and halved tomatoes,plus an entire head of garlic. Allow to cool a little, then cut everything into thin strips (except the tomato, which I squish) and mix together with (more ) abundant EVOO . The garlic cloves are squeezed into the mixture; roasted garlic is delightfully sweet and less pungent than fresh. Salt, pepper, maybe a few fresh herbs and all is ready. I leave the mixture to marinate for a while, in order to let the flavours blend together.
However, for tagliatelle,I'd be looking for sauce which coats the pasta, rather than adds chunks to it. If you decided on the first option, I think a quick blitz in the food processor would do fine for every ingredient EXC EPT the sundried, which I would slice very thin.
In the second example: providing you sliced the grilled veg nice and thin, it'd work fine. Add some finely sliced sundrieds towards the end.

Postby jeral » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:49 am

Thanks karadekoolaid - brain abuzzing now. Especially about coating the pasta one way or another. Ironically, I like griddled sundried toms from an oily jar, which are (become) ludicrously chewy, but I guess are not for everyone so I'll take your advice and slice thinly :)

Return to Veggie Chat