Register

good veggie dishes

Swap ideas and tips or ask advice about being a veggie.

good veggie dishes

Postby DEB » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:51 pm

Hi
I hope I will not cause upset by being a meat eater. I would be very intrested in your most popular meatfree dishes are. I am aiming you increase the number of veggie meal I searve.
Thank you

DEB

Re: good veggie dishes

Postby Alison Wright » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:51 pm

Hi Deb,

We've eaten more veggie food over the last year than we've eaten in half a lifetime. Here are just a few of the recipes I've made & posted on the BBC board in the last few months.

http://itheecook.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09 ... plant.html
Caponata stuffed aubergines

http://amisvegetariandelicacies.blogspo ... t-and.html
Caramelized onion & garlic in hot & sour fenugreek gravy

http://www.fussfreecooking.com/meat-rec ... -giveaway/
Baked pasta with roasted peppers & courgettes

Postby Alison Wright » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:56 pm

My apologies Deb, no idea what happened there??? Maybe posting multiple links, I'll try again tomorrow or Friday. :oops:

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:49 am

Whoops! It looks like you've copied those from the Beeb pages, Alison, where they show a shortened version of the whole URL. Suggest you actually click the link, then copy and paste the URL from the top address bar on the actual page you want to link to. When you've got it sussed, I will remove these couple of posts so nobody will know ;-)

Postby Alison Wright » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:52 pm

Hi Deb,

Instead of posting just my own ideas, here is a link to a similar thread started by meto on the BBC board with quite a few non meat/fish suggestions - some of mine are on there too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbfood/NF26704 ... ad=8332170

Postby Puss-in-boots » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:21 pm

Hi deb, my DIL has got me hooked on thai butternut squash curry and quorn chilli. We had the dishes whilst staying with them in London and they are really yummy.

When we got back home the only difference i did was to use a chicken stock cube (oxo) as i find the knorr veg too salty.

Here are the recipes just omit the fish from the curry.

Quorn chilli:

2 people

Pack of quorn mince

1 ½ tsp Paprika

1 tsp chili

1 tsp cumin seeds

1 tsp marmite

Good slosh Worcester sauce

1 onion

2 cloves chopped garlic

1 tin chopped tomatoes

200ml veg stock

Tablespoon tomato paste (optional)

Small can of Kidney beans

Veg- up to you. I use mushrooms, peppers, peas- whatever is in the fridge!

Pepper to taste

· Dry fry the herbs over a low heat for a few minutes until the aromas start to be released from the cumin seeds

· Fry the onion and garlic over a low heat with olive oil until the onions are clear

· Add the Quorn to the pan with a bit more oil, and cook until it has defrosted

· Add the tomatoes and stock and stir in

· Add the Worcester sauce and marmite

· Add the tomato puree (if using)

· Cover and cook over a low heat for a good 30 mins.

· If you have time let it cool and rest for a few hours.

· Add veg in order of cooking time (peppers first, mushrooms and peas a few mins before you want to serve)

· Serve with rice or over a baked half aubergine.

I will have to post the Squash curry separately as it was too long... :oops:

Sorry it is a bit long but i had to copy it from my e-mail and it has all my personal details on there which is why i couldn`t link to it. I just hope i`m not in trouble with the mods. ;)

Enjoy xxx

Postby Puss-in-boots » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:24 pm

Thai butternut squash curry.

Thai Butternut Squash and Prawn curry

Serves 4 hungry people.

400ml reduced fat coconut milk

2 tbs thai curry paste (I buy it but you can make your own)

350 ml veg stock (I like swiss bouillion or Knor cubes)

½ teaspoon of turmeric

1 large butternut squash, peeled and chopped into pieces (the smaller the better).

500g preferred fish or meat (I like prawns or salmon with this), cut into bite sized pieces

½ green pepper

½ red pepper

Optional-Pack Choi

Optional- Spinach (a few cubes of frozen spinach works a treat)

Optional - Pinch of chilli or cayenne pepper if you like a kick

Optional- chopped fresh coriander, to taste

1. Heat a large pan and add the paste with ¼ of the coconut milk. Blend together over the heat until bubbling.

2. Add the rest of the coconut milk, turmeric, chilli if using and stock. Stir.

3. Once boiling, add the butternut squash.

4. After the squash has softened, get a potato masher and mash the squash into the rest of the sauce. The squash should be soft enough to create a thick and smooth sauce. At this point you can take the sauce off the boil and freeze for future use. You could freeze half if you were only cooking for 2 of you, and then half the rest of the ingredients.

5. Add the salmon or fish/meat substitute

6. After 3 minutes add peppers and any chick peas or butter beans you are adding and cook for 2 minutes until soft.

7. Add the finer veg (mushrooms, Spinach, pak choi, peas – anything you else have to chuck in!)

8. Squeeze in your lime and add the coriander and give a good stir.

9. Serve with rice, wedges, noodles- anything you fancy!

Enjoy xxx

Puss.

Postby denada » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:18 pm

We try to have at least one meatfree meal a week....and tonight's the night. I'm doing orecchiette with rapini and goats cheese. Actually, that's a lie cos I couldn't get rapini so bought curly kale instead, hopefully that will work.

Postby Puss-in-boots » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:22 pm

Hi Denada, any chance of the recipe when you have a moment as it sounds lovely.

Postby denada » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:49 pm

Here you go puss, it's got to win the prize for easiest recipe ever :D wash and chop rapini (or whatever leafy green you have). Boil till crisp-tender then drain well. Cook some garlic in olive oil then add chilli flakes to taste. Add rapini and stir to combine. Cook the orecchiette,drain then add to rapini mix with some grated lemon zest. Crumble in some goats cheese, toss and serve.

Postby Puss-in-boots » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:33 pm

Hi Denada thanks for the recipe, will let you know how it turns out when i make it. As you say prize for easiest recipe. :D

Postby Global_Worming » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:34 am

This is one of my summer favs.
Heat and gently infuse cream with tarragon.
Sweat onions and garlic in butter then add thinly sliced waxy pots and part cook, season heavily and cool.
Line a spring form cake tin with puff pastry, fill with the pot mix, top with puff, egg wash and bake till golden.
Cool a bit and fill with the cream tarragon mix.
Serve luke warm.

Postby hungryhousewife » Tue May 01, 2012 12:02 am

Hi GW! That sounds really delicious! I might just have to try that!

Hi Dena - we tried to grow Cime de Rape last summer - is that the same as Ripini?
We discovered that Cime de Rape (much used in River Cafe books, and other Italian cook books) appears to be none other than Rape - yellow fields of which grow over so much of the country - isn't it odd that we don't tend to think to eat it here - buying the seeds from Seeds of Italy - they cost a small fortune!!!

Love the sound of your supper! We had Quinoa - cooked in a bit of veg stock - with lots of EVO, chopped herbs and chilli - with a green salad - I added a bit of pomegranate molasses to the vinaigrette to give it a sweetness to go with the chilli - it was yummy!
HH

Postby Catherine » Tue May 01, 2012 2:36 pm

When I was a kid at home we often had vegetarian meals. They were not made to be specifically vegetarian, they just did not happen to contain meat. No one really thought about it as vegetarian.

Often included were

Cheese souflee
Poached egg and spinach mornay
Egg curry
Ratatouille
Pasta with pesto
Macaronni cheese
cauliflower cheese
Watercress soup and cheese scones
Cheese and potato pie
bubble and squeak
Stuffed peppers
Jacket potato with cheese and beans
Salads
Spicy chickpea casserole

Postby Bababoom » Wed May 02, 2012 11:05 am

Global worming, how do you get the cream into the pie if the lid's already on? Or does the lid lift off? It sounds delicious!

Postby Global_Worming » Wed May 02, 2012 5:16 pm

Sorry triple B I left out putting a steam hole in the top crust which you use to fill the pie.

Postby Global_Worming » Wed May 02, 2012 5:29 pm

I make my cheese tarts like this.

Blind bake a pate brisee crust or blind bake very thinly rolled pricked puff pastry.

Slowly caramelise a load of onions, shallots and a bit of garlic, crumble or blob any type of strong blue cheese(blue cheshire is my fav) and work into the onion mix until you get a paste that will coat the bottom of the blind baked pastry shell. Whisk enough egg yolks cream and plenty of black pepper to nearly fill the shell. Bake in a hot oven.

Nb it will puff up as the cheese and onion works its way randomly through the custard. Serve warm and deflated.

Postby Bababoom » Thu May 03, 2012 10:22 am

Thanks, GW, I think I might try that!

Postby Joanbunting » Wed May 09, 2012 1:46 pm

We had a lovely (she said modestly) asparagus risotto last night made in the way I was taught in Italy many years ago.

I cut off the spears and steam them, then chop up the stalks and cook them in salted water. I then whizz this with my stick blender.

I make the risotto as usual starting with softened shallot and garlic. Instead of stock I use the asparagus liquid. I add the spears right at the end with a splash of white wine and quite a lot of butter. I am aware that the Parmesan I use is not veggie - but if I was serving it as veggie then I would find a substitute

Postby hungryhousewife » Wed May 09, 2012 3:50 pm

I like Aubergine Parmigiana and often make it, also a good vegetarian party piece is Rotollo di Spinaci - found in most italian recipe books, but the one I usually follow is in River Cafe Blue.

HH

Return to Veggie Chat